Husband inside labor ward?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by varshini, Feb 26, 2006.

1. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Husband in delivery room? Videotaping birth?

Hi-

We are going to have our first baby in a few months! Both myself and my husband are very happy about it. I look to the guidance of my friends and sisters in this community as I go through pregnancy for the first time in my life.

I heard that - in US - husbands would be allowed inside the delivery room and that they can video tape the birth if interested. Since these are options I never thought existed, I am confused as to what to do. Should I ask my husband to be in the delivery room? Should I allow my husband to videotape the delivery? What did you all do?

Varshini

1 person likes this.

2. sahanaTx

sahanaTx New IL'ite

Hello Varshini

Iam Sahana,a new member myself.Iam enjoying the forum immensely.
    As for your question...I live in the U.S. and although aware of that option,I did not want to make use of it.(my husband was with me in the delivery roon and did tape the baby as soon as he came out..)2 reasons,1.This was a very personal and almost religious expereince for me and I did not want anyone watching me with a videocamera.I would have not have felt comfortable.
    2.On another note,I did not think I would have liked looking at myself spread like an eagle on the L & D table!!! Gosh!...I don;t even like to look at pics of myself where I feel I don;t look good..This one,NO WAY!
    Having said that,like I mentioned earlier.my husband did tape my son as soon as he was born and when he and I bonded afterwards.That was magical and I enjoy seeing my look of truimph,pride and happiness at my little bundle.
    This is just my opionion and experience.
    Sahana

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

RE Hubby in te Delivery room

Dear Varshini,

It is good experience for the husbands to be in the delivery room. I too had my husband with me for both my deliveries. It is rewarding experience for them. But having said that , make sure that your hubby is not squemish at the sight of all that gore and blood. ( i have heard a few stories when the hubby's faiinted!!)

It is a good idea to take the video camera with you to the hospital. Although we did not record the actual delivery, hubby started recording soon after the baby was born.

Good luck with your delivery
    Take care
    Vandhana

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Though I dont have a baby yet(due in May) , just wanted to share my views... I would like to have my husband with me in delivery room, I think that gives much needed support and confidence( I am not sure how confident he is to be with me :) )

Video taping.. no for me.. I wouldnt like to tape those private moments.. Just my personal opinion..

Reason I felt very strog in that is because I recently watched a TV programme on TLC of an Indian girl giving birth... God, that guy was so horrible, at least in my point of view... that girl is in so much pain and couldnt even talk and this guy is making jokes with the physician. Part of the programme was the tape made by himself.. The girl is very vulnerable the whole time and I felt it like invasion of her privacy showing all her pain and everything..

But anyway that was because its a tv programme not a private tape... I hope I didnt insist any negative feelings by sharing this..

I just had to vent this out because this has been in my mind the whole time for 2 days.. just had to share with someone...

Thnx!
    :)

5. Chilbuli Imli

Chilbuli Imli Senior IL'ite

Dear Selvi,

Selvi,

When I had my baby delivered 4 years back my husband was with me in the delivery room. I wante dhim to be with me by my side. I wanted him to realise the pain we ladies go through and wanted him to value them. Believe me Selvi, he was of great help to me. After 17 hours of labour pain I was exhausted and tired but full time till baby came out he kept on encouraging me to push and helped me a lot. His soothing words like yes i can see our baby head, yes you can push little harder and our baby will be out made me strong and didnot made me realise the pain. So i would encourage you to take your hubby with you but inform him to be strong as he has to see you in pain. Also inform him about baby coming like baby when they come out their head is oval shape etc so he knows beforehand and doesnt get surprised.

Regarding tape I agree to you and I too wouldnt want my private an dpersonal movements to be recorded.

All the best for your delivery. By teh way when r you due? Take care.

Cheers

6. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Thanks for your comments ladies!

SahanaTx, Vandhana, Selvi and Chilbuli Imli,

Thank you very much for your comments on this subject. I was very confused as to what to do. After hearing all of your comments, I am probably going to do what you guys did - have my husband in the delivery room, but videotape only after the child is born. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Chilbuli, I am due in end June. It is nearing....!

7. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

In India will they allow hubby, during delivery

hi all,i have a doubt,
    in India Drs will allow hubby during delivery like foreign countries,becoz i thought it'll be more support for me:)

8. aashree

aashree New IL'ite

Re: In India will they allow hubby, during delivery

Yes they do allow your hubby inside the labour room. You have to tell the doctor before hand about all this so that he/she makes the necessary arrangements. My delivery took place in Pune and i had no problems.
    They allow ur husband during c-section also. My borther got to see his wife delivering a baby by c-section.

Best Luck!

9. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

hello aashree,
    thanx for ur info,now i feel happy:)

10. luckydove

luckydove New IL'ite

hi aashree,

i'm also from pune,very new here,can u please tell me the name of the hospital and OB/GYN. it will be a great help...

thanks