When and how do you tell your boss about your pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by shyl, Aug 1, 2009.

1. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Hi to all mommis2be,
    Has anyone told their boss about their pregnancy? At what stage of the pregnancy did you decide to let your boss know? What was the reaction? Do you see any change in the attitude/work load after you broke the news?

I am currently 13+weeks preggo. Have not told anyone at work about my pregnancy but am thinking to reveal the news mid of this month. I guess, I feel it is my responsibility to let my manager know about the changes in my life on my personal front. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I look forward for your responses.
    Shyl

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

As soon as your pregnancy is conformed by your gynic, just let your mangaer knows about it. Then he can plan his work accordingly and dont bug you to sit long hours and plan his projects if it falls in your Due date or maternity leave accordingly.
    Inform him about due date and your date of leaving to ML and joining back date if everything is normal and went well.
    Such that it wil be a hop for him that you are going on leave for a genuine cause and excersising your woman rights. As per labour rules, there should be a 12 weeks of ML will be given if you are in India and your employer is registered as per Indian labour law.

3. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

I informed my manager after my 20th week ultrasound was done and doctor confirmed progress is normal. That gave them enough time to plan the remaining 4-5 months of my time here before I take off for the year...

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

I let my boss know when I was in my 14th week. Since I'm in academia, our class schedules are mapped out many months in advance, so I let him know after the first trimester so he had enough time to arrange for substitutes.

5. sushmail.30

sushmail.30 Senior IL'ite

I informed my manager immediately after my first trimester visit in 8th week. Coz from then on we had to schedule many docotor appointments, scanning and so on. and also i was feeling very nauseous, so he cooperated me when ever I feel sick.

Also you get more attention and care after informing ur manager or collegues.

6. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Depends on many factors - your own health and the need to take sick time off, doctors appointments, relationship with your manager etc. If you are in relatively good health and do not need to take a lot of time off, waiting untile first trimester is over is a good idea.

For both pregnancies I waited until first trimester was over and informed my manager around 14-15 weeks.

7. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Great! Thanks for your responses. I am currently 13+weeks pregnant and havn't told anyone at work yet including my manager. I am feeling fine and hence delayed as I wanted to wait until my first trimester. I will let them know in 2 weeks.

Thanks for your responses.
    Shyl

8. sriraji

sriraji New IL'ite

Hi gals,

I have informed my manager and collegues after my first trimester. That is immediately after I first heard my babys heart beat.

9. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ladies,

After a hard struggle I joined IT Job in NY city just 1 week back. Iam now 16+weeks pregnant and I didnt tell my manager that am pregnant. This is my 1st week at office and I dont feel comfortable to let him know. I leave office late along with my husband(he works very close to my office). In 2weeks my dad & mom are coming to USA to help me in cooking and stuff. In this situation Iam concerned about my work. What if I tell my manager that am preg and what if he ask me to quit my job?

so am very much worried to tell him as of now. Planning to tell him once I go for 20 weeks scan. My tummy is seen well but none asked me if am preg.

anybody faced such issues do let me know. but if anybody ask me if iam preg am ready to break the news !

10. SwamiBlessUsAll

SwamiBlessUsAll Senior IL'ite

AnithaPartha,
    Hope this helps.

Based on info from The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:
    The Pregnancy Discrimination Act amended Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions constitutes unlawful sex discrimination under Title VII, which covers employers with 15 or more employees, including state and local governments.

Key points:
    • An employer cannot refuse to hire a pregnant woman because of her pregnancy, because of a pregnancy-related condition, or because of the prejudices of co-workers, clients, or customers.
    • An employer may not single out pregnancy-related conditions for special procedures to determine an employee's ability to work. However, if an employer requires its employees to submit a doctor's statement concerning their inability to work before granting leave or paying sick benefits, the employer may require employees affected by pregnancy-related conditions to submit such statements.
    • If an employee is temporarily unable to perform her job because of her pregnancy, the employer must treat her the same as any other temporarily disabled employee. For example, if the employer allows temporarily disabled employees to modify tasks, perform alternative assignments, or take disability leave or leave without pay, the employer also must allow an employee who is temporarily disabled because of pregnancy to do the same.
    • Pregnant employees must be permitted to work as long as they are able to perform their jobs. If an employee has been absent from work as a result of a pregnancy-related condition and recovers, her employer may not require her to remain on leave until the baby's birth. An employer also may not have a rule that prohibits an employee from returning to work for a predetermined length of time after childbirth.
    • Employers must hold open a job for a pregnancy-related absence the same length of time jobs are held open for employees on sick or disability leave.
    Ref: eeoc.gov/facts/fs-preg.html