Cervix length is 32mm at 20 weeks pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by shilpapriya, Jul 3, 2009.

1. shilpapriya

shilpapriya New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I went to vist my Doctor on July 1 for my regular checkup.I had my BP normal as 120/80 , and normal weight according to the month. Later on she did my FIFA Scan and after seeing the scan results, shes said,

1. Single live foetus with cephalic postion
    2. Cervix length 32mm.

Stating the cervix length of 32mm , she advised me to take bedrest for 2 months.
    Ladies, is there anything to panic, because im still in the end of my fifth month and my cevix length is 32mm , would there be any problem arised in the next coming months.

Can anybody please tell me, what all the precautions to be taken to prevent any mishappenings????Should I take any specified diet or should I go for complete bedrest.

Please Help.
    I'm desperate.

Your pointers are much awaited.

Thanks
    Shilpa.

2. Anju2

Anju2 New IL'ite

What you are experiencing is the shorterned cervix.The cervix is usually 4 cm thick ,and gradually start to shorten when the labor is near.You need to be on strict bedrest(I would just do it even if the doctor recommends a modified bedrest) and get up mostly for bathroom breaksONLY!.Gravity is bad for a shortening cervix.Stay horizontal ,preferably on the left side.

According to my doc,any CL above 3 is acceptable.But at 20 w,I would take it very slow
    Diet has nothing to do with it.Go to COMPLETE BEDREST!

Not to scare you,but it would be advisable to discuss with your doctor about placing a cerclage and her/his opinions on it.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i second anju..
    however cervical length of less than 25 mm would have higher risk of preterm labour due to CI(cervical incompetence)..and yours is 32(normal being 40), but stick to doctors words and take complete bed rest..your score is not so bad!

also nxt appointment see what doc says and also ask her and clear doubts as to whether cervical cerlage is needed. i dont think she would ask you to go for it... but it will help you clarify doubts

good luck!

4. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Hi Shilpa,
    I had a similar scare when I went in for my ultrasound. While the cervix was OK, on applying pressure the crvix shortened to 27mm. The perinatologist is therefore examining me every other week. In my second visit the cervix wsas fine at 42mm (even upon pressure)--however I continue to be under the care of my ob-gyn as well as the perinatologist. Taking complete bed rest is the usual recommendation for cervical shortening.

As in my case, it appears that the cervical length had a chance variation--so if you like you could take another ultrasound for a second opinion. However, all said and done, take it easy and try and remain in bed.

5. meerak122

meerak122 Junior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I had my anamolity scna last week at 19W4days, and my cervical length was 3 cm. My doc is on leave and would be back in next thursday, I would be almost 22 weeks (21 weeks+)
    Shall I wait for her to some back? or check with other docs available in hospital.

During scan when I asked the radiologist she said everything is normal. But jst now i happened to cme across this post and am really worried now.

6. sarab0810

sarab0810 New IL'ite

Hi.

Pls dont take stress. Until your doc cmes pls take complete bed rest, try not to do any household chores, dont lift any heavy objects and dont stand for too long get up slowly from bed. if possible consult with your doc over phone regarding any other precaution.

Take care n bless u..

7. meerak122

meerak122 Junior IL'ite

Hi,,
    I consulted the other doc, she is also a senior doc in that hospital. She told me its ok, 3.5 + is considered good but 3 cm is also fine, since everything else is normal. She said I dont need any special rest, can be normal.

8. Telja

Telja Silver IL'ite

loonypooh
    Can you plz tell me how your doc did cervix check up .. did they did and as per your request..
    how exactly cervix lenght be measured ?