Anyone on Progesterone capsules?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sreedhara, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Sreedhara

Sreedhara New IL'ite

How safe is it to take Prometrium (Progesterone) oral medicine during Pregnancy?

Hi all,
    Today I am happy that I found this site for my queries about my pregnancy. I am in a confusion that, Is it safe to take Prometrium (Progesterone) oral tablets during pregnancy?

Because, I am 6 weeks pregnant now. When I contacted a doctor here yesterday, he did ultra sound. Everything seems to be normal and the gestational sac is 2MM and it is well placed in the Uterus. All the test reports came out normal and he prescribed this medicine for prevention of possible future miscarriage. As I had two earlier, first pregnancy ended with D&C and the second one was suspected ectopic pregnancy. My doctor advised me to continue with is medicine for up to 12 weeks ignoring all the possible side effects which they will give you along with your prescription medicine.

But when I saw the serious side effects in the drug description page, I was totally confused. It says that, "PREGNANT WOMEN , OR ABOUT TO GET PREGNANT, SHOULD NOT USE THIS PROMETRIUM MEDICINE. BEFORE YOU TAKE THIS MEDICINE TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT THE RISK CAUSED TO THE FETUS OR YOU BABY".

I have read a review written by a lady in a site. She also used this medicine for the same case but she had spotting after taking that medicine and she posted a query whether is it safe or not using this medicine during pregnancy. To her reply one doctor said that, Prometrium or any progesterone hormone medicine is Category X medicine and FDA does not accept this medicine to be prescribed to pregnant women.

To conclude can anyone tell me whether I should take this medicine or not?
    How safe is it during pregnancy?

Thanks,
    Sreedhara

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: How safe is it to take Prometrium (Progesterone) oral medicine during Pregnancy?

Hello Sreedhara
    Welcome to Indusladies community. I had to remove the link that you have provide as a policy of this site no external link is allowed. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/new-member-area/20699-new-member-orientation-read-know.html go through this link to know about this site.
    I will move your post to Pregnancy, Labor & Delivery - IndusLadies so you will get more viewers and other ladies can go through it, and answer you correctly this forum is for the introduction of new member.
    Will wait for another post by you do share a little bit about yourself here.

3. just_sonal

just_sonal New IL'ite

I was prescribed 200mg X 2 daily doses of Progesterone in my 5th week to counter some spotting (due to Progesterone inadequacy). Since then it has been a smooth sail - no spotting, no sudden contractions. Now I'm supposed to go off them as I enter the 2nd trimester. But I'm getting nervous just thinking about the various what ifs. BTW, I'm taking them vaginally. (sorry, TMI)

Anyone here is/was on Progesterone? Which week did you stop using them?

4. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Hi,

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I was taking Susten 200 mg (progesterone) in the first trimester because i too had spotting because of low placenta. i continued taking it till about 4 months completion bcoz my placenta was still low lying.

But it all varies from one pregnancy to another and cannot be generalized.

If you read on the Internet progesterone should not be taken for a long time because if the fetus is female, it can have serious side effects like hirustism(hair on unwanted areas).

So its better to go with what your doc is suggesting..

5. just_sonal

just_sonal New IL'ite

Hi Sharbani,

I'm taking Naturogest 200 mg vaginally. My doc says it has no side effects. But I did get investigating today. This article says that progesterone taken orally can be harmful. I'm meeting the doc in a couple days anyway so I'll just double check about this..

Cheers