saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sruthu, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

saffron -is it helpful?

Please have a look at our post Saffron during Pregnancy for more tips and suggestions on whether saffron should be consumed during pregnancy or not.

Hi everybody,just wanted to know your opinions about saffron,its benefits and disadvantages if any?and how much can u safely eat per day.I have heard that having 3 strands per day is beneficial.more than that is not advisable.Any opinions..?

Thanks,
    Sruthi

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

Re: saffron -is it helpful?

hi sruthi,

this is my experience with saffron ....................:spin
    when i was 7 months pregnant for my 1st daughter ,
    the next day after my seemantham.................... all elderly ladies told my mom to give me milk with 2 to 3 strands of saffron.............. they told that the baby born would be very fair................. and healthy...............
    as usual my mother was carried by all these advices. she gave me milk with saffron................. 2 nights i had, the third day morning was a nightmare for me.
    what a cough i had till my delivery, it was really a seveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrre cough. RantRantRant
    i will never forget that cough till my last breath............... the doctor's could not give me any medicines........ due to my pregnancy.................., but still seeing my suffering so much with that cough, they had to give me erythromycin.......................... then during my 8th month i had severe back ache................ coughing and coughing.....:spin and was rushed to hospital on a sunday, the nurses thought that i had labour pains and took me to emergency and found that is was a false labour pain.......
    ofcouse the saffron was stopped with that 2nd dose itself, but the cough continued till the baby was born and it was there for one week...................
    i run miles when i see saffron..................... this was my experience with saffron.................... when i saw a thread with saffron as the heading , it reminded me of my 1st pregnancy ............... thats it

bye
    love
    padma

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

saffron is supposed to be very cooling
    there are black and white
    experiences of babies born
    now dont get me wrong....
    instances like padma's are rare
    a few strands taken with milk
    during the pregnancy of the first child
    does not change his/her chances
    of fair complexion
    and more often it is dark in complexion
    the second kid sure is fair...
    now you decide whether you
    want a fair second or not
    planning for a second already?
    ahaha

sathya

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

dear sruthi,

saffron didn't suit my body thats all.........................so it doesnt mean it will not suit anyone.
    it was my experiences with saffron .
    i am sorry dear if i have scared you with my experiences.
    you can try saffron in the milk.....................
    as sathya has said i may be 1 in 1000 cases .............
    if you like to have saffron you can go ahead.............

love
    padma

5. reddy2207

reddy2207 New IL'ite

I am in my 38th week and i am taking saffron from last 4 months and i dont see any side effects. I dont know wheather it will help for my baby's complextion or not but as its a famous grandma tip so i think it will definetly help in some way.

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

As far as scientific research goes saffron's relation to skin complexion is a myth. Remember your baby cannot have blue eyes and blond hair or look like Chinese if neither of the parent carried that gene - same is true with skin - you can only pass on what you have. But there are other medicinal properties of saffron.
    Surprising Saffron - Health.com
    http://www.healthrecipes.com/saffron.htm

The above links are some interesting facts about saffron. Although they are not proper studies which prove anything, it might be just interesting to read them. Anyway as far as any beneficial effect goes it depends on the type of saffron, the country of origin, the purity, the method of extraction and the amount in the purest form absorbable by the body.

Padma's experience with saffron is pretty sad. My guess is some of the strands stuck to the back of the throat and irritated to trigger a cough. Even if she had an allergy to saffron it cannot last for so many months after she stopped taking it, so the cough intially triggered by saffron could've persisted due to other reasons. Anyways not to worry...

Just be a happy mom and am sure your baby will be happy too. Good wishes for a healthy baby.

-L.

7. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    ive heard saffron is very hot...so make sure u consume it with plenty of milk.. it has no sideeffects if consumed in the proper way..
    But it has nothin to do with improving baby's skin complexion....

Cheers
    RAmya

8. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Hi everybody,
    Thanks for all your responses and good wishes.Im in my 35th week now.
    Yes,even i have heard and believe that it cannot change the baby's complexion.Have also heard that it does improve the blood circulation.Am not sure whether thats true,but it does help knowing that its anti-depession and anti-carcinogenic.
    Thanks Lavanya for those links.It was quite helpful.

9. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Padma,you havent scared me.Thanks for letting us know your experiences

10. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Sruthu,

My mom did send me lots of saffron packets. I took them occassionally since I took milk occasionally. But yes it is supposed to purify blood and hence improves the blood flow. More than color of the skin, a healthy skin is what is essential. So thats why all these home remedies were suggested by elders.

One more option is : You can have Everest's Kesar milk Masala powder added to milk. It has all the nutrients and saffron also.

It can be taken by anyone actually, but it does have almonds which post delivery will not help in weight reduction My 2cents