saffron during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sruthu, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Saffron

Hi ladies.

when a woman is pregnant. She is advised to take milk with saffron like that she will have a fairer baby...

i am just a tiny bit curious if is it true? or it's just a belief ?

bye

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Re: Saffron

hi Huma,

Traditionally saffron is believed to promote fairness of the complexion. It is widely used in cosmetics, specially in fairness creams. It is an age-old belief that pregnant women give birth to ‘fair’ babies, if they consume saffron.

Saffron may induce abortion, hence pregnant women should not take it in large doses.
    Saffron is very popular as a spice in all international cuisines. It is an indispensable ingredient in most Mughlai dishes and erstwhile Mughlai chefs used this herb liberally in the rich concoctions they prepared for the royal table.

Saffron gives a beautiful tinge and a special aroma to a dish. It is used in sweets as well as in curries. In India, to serve dishes decorated with saffron is regarded as a mark of honor to the guest and has become the norm rather than the exception.

But Skin color depends on genes handed down by the parents; saffron or anything will not change anything.

The spice is useful in promoting and regulating menstrual periods. It soothes lumbar pains, which accompany menstruation.

Saffron oil is used as an external application in uterine sores. So, may be because of this medicinal quality pregnant women consume this.

Attached Files:

3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

Hi Vanaja

thank u so much for such information.:wow:wow

take care

4. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi huma,

i am happy that was useful for you.

the flower you find in the picture is saffron. but the whole flower is not used. the stigma with small bulbs at the head is the main source, which you see in the other picture.

when you remove the stigma, the flower loses its fragrance. so that stigma is "saffron".

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

6. sakthi25

sakthi25 New IL'ite

Re: saffron -is it helpful?

hi,

Saffron has got many medicine value & it improves good blood circulation.
    Boil the milk,Add saffron allow it to react in the milk for 10 min.
    The colour of the milk will change to yellow.
    please wait till that time.
    So that we will get all benefits of saffron.
    This was informed by my friend who is doctor.

7. Thejaswi

Thejaswi New IL'ite

Hi,...

I'm also pregnant,...(3 months).. My father-in-law has a very good knowledge of kerala Ayurvedha... He suggested me to take saffron, even before I got pregnant... He says that it acts like cleaning our stomach and makes digestion easier... As constipation is quite common during pregnancy, elders would've suggested that, I think...

Actually,... in my husband's family,.. all the kids are given this saffron with milk and almonds by my father-in-law...
    They use silver bowls for that.... They add few strands of saffron with little bit of hot, boiled milk in the silver bowl, make it fine like paste by pressing it with clean fingers or spoons, and then add the remaining milk / almonds chopped.... so that the saffron will be mixed thoroughly with the milk.... (for those who r concerned about weight,. can avoid almonds... but some scientific researches say, almonds have good fat only...)

I too believe that for every saying of our elders, there's certainly a reason behind that... may be it's not explicit...:bowdown

Anyway, taking a cup of milk before bed time is good for pregnant women...I hope

I'm taking this saffron with milk from bef.getting pregnant,... and I find no sideeffects or any problems caused for me....

so as others said,...it depends on the individual's body...

As you all know, there's no such proof for saffron giving fair complexion to the unborn baby... as we know, the colour, type of skin, etc everything is decided at the minute when the embryo appeared itself... it's all in the chromosomes of genes...
    Everybody wants a healthy baby rather than a fair baby,...I hope...

Have a healthy and happy pregnancy.... All the best..!!! :wave:

Cheers,
    Thejaswi.

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Hi Sruthu

Congratulations on your pregnancy and my wishes for a happy and safe delivery.

Actually saffron acts as a cooling agent to the uterus and also balances the hormonal changes in the females during pregnancy.
    Even for ovarian cysts, the medicine made with saffron extract is proved to give best results in Siddha system of medicine.

So dont worry. You can take it for your uterine health if not for the colour of the baby which is genetically predetermined.

My 2 cents!

9. Thejaswi

Thejaswi New IL'ite

Hi sruthi,...

Definitely saffron has some medicinal qualities... otherwise our elders wouldn't have recommended it strongly....
    Anyway,... it's of no problem taking it normally.. but when u r pregnant, it's always better to ask for ur gyn's advice... because every individual's body is unique...
    All the best...
    -Thejaswi.

10. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

hi sruti,
    saffron is said to have antiseptic properties as well as antihistamic properties. it can help to ward off cold and cough. i had saffron with milk throughout my pregnancy and didnt have a problem. i have been giving saffron to my baby as well during winter months.