Facial while pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by mridusudha, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Did anybody get a facial done while pregnant?
    I will be 21 weeks this friday and I was thinking of getting a facial done next week..I was thinking of a herbal facial..Just want to pamper myself but again lil conerned about any side affects...

Any inputs or suggestions?

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear miridhu,
    it is not advisable at this stage. because of the strain you have to face, when doing facial( they may ask you to lie down this way or that way) you can do it after 5 months. why you need a facial when the motherly feeling will give you more brightness and lustre?:)just kidding.
    with love
    pad.

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Thanks Padmini for your reply...Even my husband says the same thing you said...:).
    Well, I had couple of breakouts in the first trimester so I thought I will get a facial done but on the other hand I looked myself in the mirror again...Infact I do look bright and fresh and my hubby agrees with me..He had to agree, no choice for him :rotfl

Anyways, thanks for your email, I finally decided I will wait until after my delivery..

4. nirmiti27

nirmiti27 New IL'ite

Dear Mridula,

you can do cleanup & home made face pack at home...

I will be travelling to india after I am 18 weeks pg..I have a big pooja at home..where all my distant relative will come together..and will see me after 1 or so year...so offcourse i do want to look best...so here is what i am going to do...

-cleansing with raw milk for 2-3..and
    -massage with malai/ milk cream (10 mins or till you feel comfortable)
    -steam or ice rubbing for 5 mins...
    -and then a pack of sandalwood pwd+ fuller earth pwd(multani)+ ayur neem/rose face pack+ rose water...
    -and after 10 mins wash your face with luke warm water
    -if you have dry skin then and milk to your pack...

if you are not comfortable doing it ask your friend or sister or mother to do it for you and ofcourse avoid bleach and chemical facials...completely

hope this helps...
    happy & healthy Pregnancy
    Nirmiti

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Nirmiti - Thanks so much for the tips...Infact I was thinking of doing something at home but was confused..your post helps me a lot.
    Thanks again :)

6. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Mridula,

What others say are correct. Even my doctor said that it is safe to avoid any facials and hair coloring/bleaching etc during pregnancy. Though people say it as Herbal facial there are chances of using chemicals in it... So it be good if you just do the facial with the homemade things...

Love,
    Vidyaa

7. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

Mridu,
    Here is a home made 'fruit facial' which i 'am also thinking:)' to do at home..

1. Wash the face with a good scrubber using a little warm water to help pores open.
    2. Apply a cleansing cream (i use clean&clear) and rub anti direction for 2 to 3 mnts and wash.
    3. Take a small bowl of carrot paste (which u had already prepared before hand) and start massaging with little quantities for atleast 20-25 mnts.
    4. If u have a ripe banana also, it is fine for it make wonders. Take a half piece of ripe banana, smash it and apply it on face and massage it the same way as the carrot paste..(Dont forget to smile in between to set ur facial muscles:))
    5. After u massage with carrot and banana paste for 40-45 mnts altogether and wash, take a steam for 2-3 mnts. (Here, dont wipe the face with cloth(let the pores remain opened. U just use a paper napkin just to absorb the steam on face)
    6. Apply a chandan paste (if u have fortunately) or its powder, or multani mitti paste and leave it till it gets dried completely. Meanwhile u can take a nap(And this time, make sure u dont talk/smile or do anything which makes the facial muscles act)

Thats it, after it is all dried up, wash the face with the cold water and apply moisturizer.

I know, i know, it seems a long procedure..It is all because i put it in a detailed way....:lol:

Hope this helps..
    Good luck and have a glowing face soon...
    :thumbsup

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear mridu,
    i did have facial twice during my pregnancy & waxing plus pedi-manicure atleast 5-6 times..........

i do not know whether any risk is involved,in fact did not think along those lines as i felt these will help me feel stress free & rejuvinate me which they did..............in fact had waxing 1 mth before the dd.(had my son 10 days before dd)the parlour people were nice.served me water & asked me to take break in between.

but no colouring /bleaching etc .

pedicure infact was adviced by the gynae as it gave rest to the feet which got tired carrying so much weight.

still check with doc.some people even advice not to use toothpaste as it also has chemicals but one has to take ones own decisions....

pragati

9. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

I too would suggest doing whatever you feel comfortable at this level. As far as i remember, you can even sit on the parlour chair for the facial (no need to lying down if you do not wish to). Though you look bright already, a facial would give a good blood circulation to your face and you will feel good within. You can go for a fruit or veg facial which will help you a lot.
    Like others said, if you are not comfy going to a parlour, do your own facial at home. Follow the cleansing-moisturising-toning routine.
    vani

10. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Vidya - Even I was afraid of the chemicals and lying down for an hour or so...I guess I will do a facial myself at home and wait until after the delivery to go to the parlour..Thanks anyways

Harini - That's a very detailed explanation you have given. Thanks a ton.:thankyou2: I will surely try one shortly..

Pragati - When I ask my Doctor about such things she never says no to anything..But you know how every thing is a big question when you are pregnant !!

happywoman - I have decided to do a facial at home..Thanks for the tips anyway..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009