thyroid during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Indiramaha, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Indiramaha

Indiramaha New IL'ite

Regarding Thyroid

Dear Friends,

I am in my 7th week of pregnancy, i took scan before 2 days and found the heart beat of baby normal. Then the docter asked me to take blood test. When the blood test came, the doctor told i am having thyroid and reffered me to endocrinologist in a apollo clinic. I am going to meet her next week. The doctor didnot utter any word after that, she asked me to get the opinion for the endocrinlogist. In the report it is mentioned THS as7.047 MIU. Will this affect my baby. what should i do. But for my first delivery they didnot tell anything. my period is normal 28days cycle. Kindly give ur valuable suggestion.

2. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Re: Regarding Thyroid

Dear Indiramaha
    Please don't worry.The endocrinologist will put you on thyroid medication and things will be just fine.You will be advised to get blood tests done periodically to monitor the TSH levels.
    Since you are in the initial stage of pregnancy your thyroid levels can be brought under control quickly.Please relax.. your baby will be fine. Please do meet the endrocrinologist at the earliest.

Thyroid problems can surface during pregnancy..it's common too.

Regards
    Honeybee

3. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi all

my co sister is pregnant 20 weeks, but in the recent blood test it has been confimed that she is having thyroid problem her tsh value is 8.80 doctor said that she should take thyroxin medicine but she is little woorid that it will affect her baby.

ladies pls. help me in this. that will it affect the baby

4. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi Laliltha

Am in 19th week of pregnancy. i too have thyroid, unfortunately(!!).

But there are 2 types in it: Hypo and Hyper.
    Hypothyroid causes overweight and Hyperthyroid patients tend to loose weight inspite of feeling hungry. I suffer from the latter(Hyper).

Since i had this problem even before wedding, i had been taking medicines for it and my BMI is normal. Also, from the day we found my pregnancy test positive, am consulting with a gyno. who's well experienced in treating pregnant ladies with these kind of problem. i had been asked to take PTU-50 mg since then, and my baby's growth is good with my weight
    also as expected.

If ur co-sister is in Bangalore, i can give you the doctor's contact details so that she can consult her.

Anyways, my all friends in IndusLadies, please share your thoughts too and pacifying our fears towards this problem.

~Loving, MahiSree

5. Lalitha venkate

hi mahi

first congradulations on ur pregnency

thank u very much for ur kind reply.

for my co-sister this is her second child. for the first one there's no problem. doctors detect this only last month and her TSH value is 8.80

i dont know what is hypo and hyper thyroid if u dont mind can u explain this to me

6. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Since her TSH value is 8,it means that she is hypothyroid.That means the thyroid is not producing as much as hormones it was supposed to.In order to produce those hormones you need to be on medications so that it will help in increasing the production of hormone and yes it is completely safe during pregnancy and should be used in pregnancy if she is having her TSH high.

Probably her doctor should have put her on some replacement hormone like Synthroid/Levothyrxoine/Eltroxin.

Good luck with her pregnancy.

7. kasisheela

kasisheela Silver IL'ite

Hi lalitha,
    I am 20 weeks pregnant and i too have hypothyroidism.
    Hypothyroidism was diagonised for me before a year and am on medication for it.As am taking my medication its well under control and doc says nothing to worry about it.
    Once i became pregnant, my first worry was about my thyroid. I came to know that during the growth the baby uses the harmone produced by mother's thyroid.So its vital that our levels remain stable and correct. Its good that the problem is diagonised for your co-sister. In this 20 weeks my gynec checked my thyroid levels twice.She said until its stable,nothing to worry.PLease ask her to take the medication.For her satisfaction, may be she can get a second opinion on that to confirm the same.
    One more added point is that for some ladies,like a miracle it gets cured after pregnancy.
    Also during breast feeding our thyroid harmone levels needs to be stable.

Here is a link where u can know about it in detail,

Hypothyroidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is not at all to be worried unless the levels are stable.The medication is only a small pill to be taken in the morning in empty stomach. I never forget that.

8. Lalitha venkate

thanku manjulats and kasisheela

i"ll surely tell her not to worry about that.

but her main concern is abt the baby only. can u tell me that this will affect the babies brain.

wat r the symtoms of this

9. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Taking the medication won't affect the baby.I can't exactly tell you how it will affect the baby's brain.Her doctor is a best judge of that.So keep taking the medication.

10. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

hi Lalitha

Since your co-sister is much worried about baby's health which's quite natural, its better to spend time to discuss with the doctor whom she's consulting for thyroid and get the doubts cleared.

That would really console her than anything else.

Cheers & Love,
    MahiSree