Diarrhea during pregnancy. Is it harmful?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by JayaJ, Jul 15, 2008.

1. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Loose motion and stomach pain

Dear all,

I am 21weeks preg now. On friday afternoon, my office colleagues and I went out for lunch. By the time i returned home in the evening my stomach was aching badly, it was like cramps and i had to rush to the loo. My loose motion started and the whole nite i was running to the loo.

What was worse was the next early morning my husband had to travel and my daughter had loose motions too!!!!

On saturday and sunday, we both (daughter and I) were in miserable state and i couldnt go to the doc as i couldnt drive in my condition. My stomach cramps were really painful.

My daughter got better by saturday evening after i kept giving her curds and buttermilk. I too took the same on the weekend and towards the end of it, i felt lil better. I took monday off from work and stayed at home with my daughter.

I still get loosies once in a while now with stomach cramps though i reported back to work. But now, i feel dizzy and more tired. I am waiting fro my husband to return.

Does any1 know if the loosies would have affected my baby? I have a check up this saturday, i will ask my doc.

Thanks,

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: Loose motion and stomach pain

Hi Jaya,
    It sounds like you had either a viral gastroenteritis or food poisoning. Both are extremely unlikely to have affected your baby but nevertheless its only your doc who can confirm that. Are baby movements ok? (I'm guessing that you must be feeling them since its 21 weeks and 2nd baby for you) In any case try not to worry too much - good luck for Sat!

Vanathi.

3. anupamakalyan

anupamakalyan Senior IL'ite

Hi jaya

I agree with vanathi

pls consult your doc..probably you are just worrying a bit too much....the baby must be absolutely doing fine

Cheers!!
    Anu

4. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Hi Vanathi and Anu,

THanks for the reassurances. Vanathi, yes, i can feel the baby's movements. It seems fine as of now. i have also recovered (thank god!) was beginning ot get tired of sitting on the throne most of the time!!!

I will check with my gynaec just in case.

Take care,
    JJ

5. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi

Am in my 17th week of pregnancy. i had minimal vomitting and other possible symptoms during my first trimester.
    Yesterday night, i took chapathi and palak paneer (home made). Within 10 minutes, i had Diarrhea along with vomitting. After that i had a feel of relief and had a good sleep.

But since today morning, again i have diarrhea. Am managing with fruits, bread and biscuit to keep me sound. But am afraid nothing is helping me out.

is it quite normal to have diarrhea during pregnancy or should i have to consult my gyno. immediately? Plz help me out.:(

~MahiSree

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  6. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

hi..
    i am on my 18th week too. last week i had diarrhea for about half a day to one day and got better without going to doctor. if it lasts for longer (say more than a day), its better to consult ur gyn. it should be nothing to do with your pregnancy, but you cannot take any medicines without their consultation. but pls do not take any self prescribed medicines.

7. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Thanks Asha for your quick reply.

8. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

First of all congrats on your pregnancy.

It's nothing to be worried, it's due to dehydration. wait for a day and if continues try to have a check up with your doctor. I have heard some had diarrhea through out their pregnancy, adding to it, try to avoid spinach in night time, as its not good for health in night. Hope you know that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Better to consult your gynec and see what she has to say. I had one such severe bout during my pregnancy and was prescribed some pills.

Also mix one packet of Electral in a bottle of water (according to the proportion suggested in the packet) and keep sipping it instead of water until you see the doctor. This will keep you hydrated.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Mahi,
    Diarrhea causes dehydration .Please consult your gynaecologist to stop it and rehydrate.Please try to eat freshly cooked food all the 3 times.Excessive iron inake may also lead to it.So be careful.It is not to worry but still try avoid diarrhea.