35th week: Pelvic bone pain

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by preeti09, Mar 22, 2008.

1. preeti09

preeti09 New IL'ite

Pelvic Pain ....

Hi Ladies..

Iam 37 weeks pregnant now ,and from last week im feeling pain in my pelvic area..I talked to my doc regarding this and she said its becos of harmones and ligament stretching...She assured me tat its normal...

I wanted to know if this creates any problem during baby's birth ? and after birth will the pain subsides?

I googled abt this and found out some points ...

Be extremely careful of birth positioning. Certain positions are better than others. Avoid stirrups!
    • Don't give birth on your back - Many cases of pubic symphysis injury occur in this position
    • Don't give birth semi-sitting - This tends to force the baby's head against the pubic symphysis, putting pressure on it to 'give' more. It also prevents the coccyx/tailbone and sacrum from moving out of the way during birth, and thus the only joint available with any 'give' to it would be the pubic symphysis, which puts it at greater risk for damage
    • Don't use stirrups - This widens the gap between the legs and strains the pubic symphysis
    • Use 'alternative' birth positions - These include standing, kneeling, and all fours in particular. You may have to search for a provider that is comfortable using these positions throughout labor. Some doctors will 'permit' women to use alternative positions until just before baby's head crowns, but often want the woman back in the traditional stirrups or semi-sitting position for crowning of the head and delivery of the shoulders. However, crowning and birth of the shoulders is the most critical time for prevent pubic symphysis damage, so really look for a doctor or midwife that is willing to 'let' a woman be in whatever position feels best to her for birth. If you must be in a more 'traditional' position because of other concerns, try side-lying as this takes the pressure off of the pubic symphysis and allows the coccyx and sacrum to move somewhat. Otherwise, all-fours or leaning back over a birth ball may be best
    • Listen to your body - Your body usually will tell you what position you need to take in order to help baby out while avoiding damage to your joint. This may be contrary to what your nurses or provider are telling you, but give preference to the positions that feel best to you. For example, sitting forward in a "C" is the position promoted in most hospitals, but Kmom found arching the back to be most helpful. This helped her baby move under the pubic arch and be born rapidly, while in the traditional "C" semi-sitting position, there was no descent of the baby and great pain instead. Other women with pubic pain have reported that arching the back during pushing was helpful too. Use the position your body tells you to!
    Has anybody experienced this ? are there any exercises which releive this pain?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Pelvic Pain ....

There are always some cons to everything and if you search hard enough you'll find it online. So don't worry. Your doc's advice is your best bet. Restructuring of your pelvis and stretching of all the abdominal and uterine ligaments and muscles are common leading to such pains. Ask your doc if you can undertake some exercises to lighten the strain on your pelvis like pelvic tilt or stretches while you are on all your fours like a cat curl. This might relieve a bit and strengthen the ligaments. Birthing positions most probably will be decided as you get into active labor so there's no use trying to shut certain positions completely... your ob will be able to guide you as you near that as it will also depend on the position of the baby and type of anesthesia given. Relax...

-L.

3. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Preeti,

For the pain presently it could be due to various factors, so need not worry unless there is bleeding or extreme pain that you cant move.

I too had discomfort of this kind and I tried kegel exercises. I dont know if the pain went away becoz of it or it went away by itself

For birthing positions, however we may decide beforehand, its during that time how our body and mind tells us what to do. Its time for you to get a lottttttt of rest and sleep (believe me you need a lot of energy post delivery). Enjoy these days of sleep and take care. Wishing you all the very best

4. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear preeti,

ignorance is bliss...so just mentally prepare urself for the pain..but i can bet it is bearable and ofcoz u need to think about ur bundle of joy at the time of labour pain..pelvic pain is sumthing very natural during pregnancy...

lov
    sowmi

5. nidhi99

nidhi99 New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I am in my 35th week. I have pelvic bone pain from last 3 weeks but now it is very sharp. When I try to stand up, or change my position from left to right...it becomes worst. I think this is round ligament kind of pain....Does everybody has this pain during last weeks? Is there anyone know how to deal with this... I do not want to take any pain killer.

Thanks

6. dsrini

dsrini Bronze IL'ite

Hi Nidhi

Same Here & its very normal. The weight of the baby is putting pressure on the bone, u can try to rest with your feet on pillows it will relieve the pain for some extent. But its always a good idea to let ur OB/Gyn know. I had the similar pain with my first preg & (now preg with baby no.2) now its very severe.

So Don't worry. Just couple weeks to go.....

TC.
    Dhivya

7. littleredriding

littleredriding New IL'ite

Hi, I had a fall last week on my back ..my tail bone is hurting badly .
    Any remedies for the trail bone pain can't sit probably, pass motion oso pain, bending oso pain ..ahh help sisters...I Ann grateful for your helps. Thank you ,Sima

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How many weeks are you now? Hope you had a word with your doc. Its better to get doc advice during pregnancy rather than trying other remedies. Better be sure that there are no problems to you. Take care.