How Important is milk during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by desiprincess, Dec 13, 2006.

1. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hello All:

I'm 7 months pregnant with my first child and I was wondering how important is it to drink milk during pregnancy. I am taking pre-natal vitamins but wanted to know if I should also drink milk.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Yes Please

Dear Desi Princess,

congrats on the new arrival. About your question, please remember that all the pre natal vitamins( or any multivitamins) are supplements, that is in addition to , not instead of. So please do have milk . It is a good source of protein, calcium , and vits . If you can tolerate milk , then have atleast 2 glasses a day in any form, milk as it is, or yogurt.
    Remember that our body is not 100 % effecient in absorbing all the nutrients that we take from food or vitamins.

vandhana

3. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Yes, Milk is a good source of calcium!

Hi Desiprincess,

Congratulations...so are you eagerly waiting for few more weeks to go??? I am sure it should be really exciting.

I recently delivered my first baby boy. Even I never used to take milk before my pregnancy, for that matter I never used to include much dairy products in my diet for fear of weight gain. But my OB told me milk and other dairy products are a good source of calcium. Though we take prenatal vitamin supplements, I believe there is nothing to replace the natural product.

If you don't like taking milk in it's original form, I would suggest you take it in other forms like milk shakes, curd, kheer, etc.

Good luck with your pregnancy.

L,
    Nila

4. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana & Nila

Thanks Vandhana & Nila for your answers... I guess, I will start drinking milk or eating yogurt today.:clap

5. chalmi

chalmi New IL'ite

milk tea during pregnancy

Hi
    Iam 19 weeks pregnant .I heard that milk tea is not good during pregnancy.But i always like (min 2 cups daily) to have it .by the same time i feel vomiting if had milk.Is this good or not ? please give me ur opinons
    regadrs
    chalmi

6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Re: milk tea during pregnancy

chalmi
    when i asked my doc she said tea/coffee in limited quantity is fine if we can stop if good
    she suggested me womens horlics but occasionally at work i am having tea may be 1 cup a day

7. MrsPriyaG

MrsPriyaG New IL'ite

Hi Chalmi,
    It's completely okay to drink 2 cups of milk tea during pregnancy.
    My Gyne had told me not to drink more than 4 cups of coffee/tea/coca cola (any caffeinated drink).
    So, I drink coffee, tea or cola within this limit only.
    I am currently in the 36th week of my pregnancy.
    Read more details at:
    Caffeine and pregnancy: what's safe?
    Don't worry and enjoy your pregnancy.
    Cheers,
    Priya :)

8. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Try to take atleast 2 glasses of milk a day.Mostly dr give vitamin supplements & suggest milk to be source of calcium.I prefer milk over calcium tablets as they lead to constipation.I was also having aversion to milk during my 1st trimester.
    So best is warm the milk & let it cool & then drink this way the odour of milk is reduced.Take buttermilk/lassi/curd or add milk to veggies or so where ever it can go well.Eat paneer,tofu,brocolli etc

9. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Thank you cute kid.
    I completely stopped drinking milk, coz smell leads to vomiting for me. having one cup of tea only in office. I will try as the way you suggested.

10. sweetsangeeta

sweetsangeeta New IL'ite

I also hate the smell of milk , but just put 1 or 2 cardamoms in the milk when you heat / boil it, trust me it gives a pleasant aroma that you will definitely love, I do the same for hubby also .
    I also take milk with cashu nuts and grind it along with the milk in Juicer or grinder and then have it chilled... try them you gonna love milk.