Less baby movement after 30th week?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hello...

I am in 30th weeks of pregnancy. From past 3-4 days baby is not as active as it used to be. I do feel the movement but very less now a days. So two days ago, I checked myself in the hospital, they did non-stress test and monitored baby's heart beat for one hour and found everything was fine. I am still keeping eye on baby's movement. I do drink chilled water/juice or lie down on left, but don't feel any movemement right away as I used to before. Baby only moves when he feels like, not when mommy wants to know.

Now, my question is it normal noticing less baby movement after 30th week or so? As everybody is telling me now baby has less space to move, so thats why baby don't move much?.Please tell me that I am worrying unnecessary.

regards

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Hi Amicable,

My doc told me that as long as you can feel 4-8 movements in an hour after lying down you are fine. Only a total lack of movement is cause for alarm. Trust your instincts in that case.

It is true that as baby gets bigger, his movements become less forceful as there is less space to move around. So that can definitely affect what you are feeling. Or maybe baby is now head down so the movements are not the same type as before.
    Babies change their patterns too, so it could be he/she was transitioning and/or feeling lazy! As long as you are getting 4-8 movements per hour you should be fine.

Cheers,

Pooja

3. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Amicable...god bless you for starting the thread.
    Even i am facing the same since few days.I completed 23 weeks yesterday.
    My baby has been moving actively since 18th week,but since few days it does not move as much before.
    I am going crazy thinking what is wrong.I dont know if it is normal.
    I drink lots of orange juice,water,lying on left side..
    I did a foolish thing by tiring myself on saturday and sunday and am really worried if that is the reason.
    Hopefully we get some replies.

suji

4. Sujimallige

Pooja,

Is this 4-8 movements every hour after 30 week???
    Is it applicable even to 24th week??

suji

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

My doc told me about the 4-8 movements at my 27 week checkup. So not sure if it applies to earlier than that. But I remember that my baby was active from week 19 or so and then all of a sudden around week 23 he moved very less for one whole day. I was panicky but since I could count atleast 10 movements per hour after drinking juice, I tried to stay positive.

Next day I had a doc's appt and everything was fine. after that the kick pattern changed to a new schedule :) so it could be your baby is doing the same. ahhh too many kicks .. that's a problem ... too few .. that's a problem too!

On the websites they tell you not to panic unless you have less than 10 movements per hour. My doc told me as less as 4 is fine.

6. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Pooja and Soji...

Thank you for your reply. When I was about 23 week or so, my baby was defintly active and some time I used to freak out seeing belly shaking like earthquake. But baby kicks were and are always soft. Luckily I havn't experienced breathtaking kicks so far. With me less movement only stared happening in the 30th week. Every pregnancy is differnt, so don't be scared if you are feeling less baby movements in your stage. I will suggest do not panic as far as baby is moving s/he is just fine and lots of walking doesn't make any harm. While I am writing this reply, my baby started knocking, probably laughing seeing mommy going through such worries.

And Pooja is right its always a problem ... even if its too many kicks or too less kicks.
    If you are really concerned ask your doctor, always go with your instinct. Take care all.

7. Sujimallige

Thanks Pooja and Amicable,I just called my doctor and hopefully he will reply me soon.I am worried as my baby moved around 10 times this morning and after that i havent felt anything.Even yesterday the movements were pretty less.Hopefully everything is fine.

suji

8. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Suji...

Let us know what your doctor suggest and I am very sure your baby is just doing fine. S/he must be having lazy days. Good luck.

9. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Girls...dont worry too much...Perhaps baby is sleeping, that is why you are not feeling the movement. Even I have had such anxious movements, but he will be back to his rhythm later, so I assume that he must have been sleeping all along! Babies have erratic sleeping pattern. If you dont feel it for an abnormally long time, then its better to check with the doctor.

PS: One of my cousins who delivered recently said she could not feel any movement at all during her entire term! Really amazing!

Radhee.

10. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear Suji, Amicable,

Its perfectly normal for the child to be active on some days and less active on some days.
    when i was pregnant with my daughter, she used to kick and prod me all the times and i used to get tired of being pushed around wondering when it would stop.
    As my pregnancy progressed into the 8 & 9th month, the movements became lesser and then, it was just a poke here and there and her turning upside down again downside up.

Suji, even as early as 19th week, it can happen that the baby is catching up on sleep to restart the kicking. So, dont worry.

Its a cause for concern when during the third trimester, you dont feel any baby movements at all for 8 - 12 hrs. thats when u need to rush to the doctor at the earliest.

Take care all and happy pregnancy
    JJ