Gestational Diabetes in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Leo, Oct 4, 2006.

1. akijay

akijay Bronze IL'ite

Hii Ladies,

I am 13 weeks pregnant..I started with 131 lbs,second month i was 133 lbs..this month when i went to doctor's visit,it showed 138 lbs..The doctor said if i am gaining weight like this in chunks i will end up having GD.My mom had diabetes,following strict diet she reduced it.I can't even go out and walk as its freezing cold here..I am just walking inside the house after dinner for 15mins..I am very much worried about this,I can't eat chapathi,I am really fed up of it..longing to eat some home made small onion sambhar with poriyal..Can i have brown rice,whole wheat bread?I don't even add sugar to complan and eat low sodium foods..i am a vegetarian too..please suggest me friends..

2. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

hi friends...
    i've developed GD from the 24th week of my pregnancy...my gynec asked me to meet an endocrinologist and he suggested taking insulin injection thrice daily and monitor the levels with glucometer...he has asked me to take the injection on the thighs..my only fear or concern is the amount of pain...
    if anyone has taken insulin injections, could you please tell me how painful it is...also he has asked me to take 2 variations insugen R and insugen N at the same time which means that i need to prick twice each time. :(

3. kvaranasi

kvaranasi New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

I am also diagnosed with GD. I am in 27th week of pregnancy. I am looking for a menu to keep the diabetes in control. I heard that Karelas (Bitter gourds) are very helpful in keeping the diabetes under control. Can anyone suggest eating karelas is good during pregnancy/ not ?? please help me as I am little concerned about this

Thanks in advance
    Kiranmayi

4. deepanair

deepanair Senior IL'ite

Hi there, GD is quite common nowadays especially in Indian women. I too had GD and was able to control it with diet and exercise. Karela is good , in fact it has immense medicinal value. I used to drink karela juice two every day in my third trimester as the sugar level tends to spike up as you near delivery.My dietitian advised me against karela and advocated insulin shots. Since the west doesn't know much about the uses of karela , her concern was understandable. Anyway, I consulted some docs in India and went ahead and used Karela. I delivered a healthy baby girl vaginally and both of us are doing fine.

Don't worry too much as stress too can spike up sugar levels. Take care and hope this helps.

Deepa

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Gindus

Gindus New IL'ite

I am 22 weeks pregnant. i was diagonised with GD during my 10th week of pregnancy due to family history. From then on i am on diet plan.

I was little worried due to this. Once i started following the diet plan i am better.

My diet plan
    Breakfast - 2 wheat bread and unsweetened peanut butter
    Snack - Fruit and Almond Milk
    Lunch - Roti made with Protein Powder, Dhal, Veggies, Egg/Non Veg
    Snack - Fruit and Butter Milk
    Dinner - Wheat Dosa with Protein Powder, Dhal, Veggies, Egg/Non Veg
    Snack - Milk with Chocolate Protein Powder

But unfortunately, my sugar levels are not getting controlled with diet and walking. So i started to take insulin 3 times a day before every meal. As the week increases until delivery, the insulin intake will also increase is what i heard from doctor.

Is anybody taking insulin and can you please share your experience ?

Also they say taking insulin will put on weight.

So far i have gained 10 pounds for 22 weeks, not sure if it is normal or overweight ?

Please comment

6. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

ladies check out following for low carb foods that dont spike ur sugar level

1. Mission brand low carb tortillas - eat instead of roti/rice
    2. Morningstar soy burgers - for breakfast.
    3. Orowheat double fiber whole wheat bread - also for breakfast
    4. special k high protein cereal - for breakfast
    5. cheese over anything.
    6. costco brand vanilla soymilk - for snacking
    7. corn tortillas with beans - for snacking
    8. sprouts - for snacking
    9. kozy shack sugar free rice pudding - tastes like kheer ... yummy
    10. all daals will spike sugar like anything. chana daal spikes it the least. avoid toor like the plague. eat paneer or tofu instead of daal.
    11. Less starch vegetables - cauliflower, cabbage, bell peppers, radish, kohlrabi, greens(all) can be consumed avoid carrots, beets , potatoes.

Make sure and walk 15 mins after each meal.

I was on GD my entire pregnancy. Lost 10 pounds the 1st trimester, gained 10 pounds in the 2nd trimester and 25 in the last trimester, 10 of which were in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. So it is essential to control your weight in early pregnancy with GD because in the last few weeks you will gain weight even if you just drink water.

Good luck to you all!

7. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    I'm in my 28th week of pregnancy and was GD with my first pregnancy. So this time I am quite careful about what I eat. Though I don't restrict myself, I try to avoid much sweets/rice and instead have wheat/quinoa etc., I gave my GD test last week and today I got my results today and the numbers I heard was shocking.. 215.

I had quite a bit of dental issues last week for which I had to take tylenol extra strength every four hours. Could that have an effect on my numbers? Being GD is ok, because even during my last preg, I had a good control on my sugar numbers with diet and exercise (mainly walking). But my concern is why such a big number when I am already being quite careful.

8. amar72

amar72 Senior IL'ite

Gestational diebeties

Hi,
    I am on my 19th week and came to know that i have GD in 16th week.It was tough to accept this.From Yesterday I have started Metformin 500mg twice a day.I am wondering if Metformin is safe in pregnancy.Also i am looking for some veggie. indian meals and snack options.

9. akijay

akijay Bronze IL'ite

10. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Re: Gestational diebeties

Hi Amar,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. GD is becoming more and more common and you can easily handle this with proper diet and exercise. I was gestationally diabetic with my first and now with my second too. And with proper diet I keep the numbers under control.

What were your numbers at the sugar tolerance tets? Do you take regular blood glucose test at home to monitor your sugar levels?

There are some very nice threads here on IL that can give you good insight about diet planning and handling GD. Please read through 'I'm Pregnant' session and you'll find lot of info on GD.

Good luck!!!!