Pregnancy related beliefs in Indian families?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by generic, Jun 21, 2015.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I hear many beliefs about pregnancy within my family & friends circle..These beliefs are being followed in many north & south Indian families, from many generations but just wanted to know the actual significance of these beliefs ?
    Just wanted to know if there is any truth or significance of these beliefs?
    1. Informing relatives/friends and outsiders of pregnancy in the family only after completion of 3 or 4 months? I can understand it is kept secret and revelaed only after the confirmation of normal pregnancy after 1st trimester, but is there any other reason also?
    2. Elders insist that 2 pregnant ladies within the same family circle, i.e related to each other or if their husbands are related to each other are not supposed to meet each other during pregnancy?
    3. When a newborn baby is brought from hospital, they make the baby wear used clothes of another baby from a known family who was born earlier.
    4. During "godh bharai/valikappu/srimantha ceremoney" for pregnanct ladies they also make another married lady who is yet to conceive to sit beside the pregnant girl to wear bangles. What is the significance of involving the other lady in the function?

2. luckyhappy

luckyhappy Senior IL'ite

there is reason behind this.

1)Few people may have health issues and might go to a bad end so they ask us to inform after completion 2-3 months

2)If two pregnant ladies stay at 1 place it is difficult to manage as it involves lot of work so they say like this

3)Used clothes are soft and will not harm the sensitive skin.new born baby is new to climate,environment,ppl etc.if we use the new clothes they will be harsh and rough on their skin.after 10-11 days of deliver they will get used to this so ask us to use new after that

4)pregnant lady looks very cute during this and if another lady sits besides us ppl will divert their sight on to them(nazzer)

just chill and take care of your preganancy

3 people like this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I'm not pregnant, was just curious to know the significance of these beliefs , anyway thanx for the inputs :)

4. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

Op
    1) I had seen in an hollywood film same thing. The pregnant woman's friend finds out, and asks her to not let it out till 90 day! So seems a belief all over the world. As lucky happy said, the reason is anything can happen. Also, you can save yourself from lots of questions.

2) If 2 preggy women are there, and especially one is your SIL naturally, the daughter of the house gets attention. you know what follows

3) Used clothes are better choices for you would have no time wash new clothes

4) This is the way to kindle desire. In spite of the physical issues, the heart's desire the power. So chances of triggering hormones

1 person likes this.
  5. ishvisahaani

ishvisahaani Senior IL'ite