myths/superstitions for pregnant women

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sharvani, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

hi everyone,

i am 2 months pregnant.. and my mil is giving me hard time with her so called rules to be followed by pregnant women.. i am seriously going mad just thinking how would it be when she will actually be here when she comes for helping with delivery time and new born... few things she mentioned are.. wear bangles- she says baby hears bangles jingling .. i am not comfortable wearing bangles all the time..
    dont go out on sunday and thursday .. omg.. seriously??
    dont wear black clothes- most of mine are black..
    and on and on and on.. am going nuts.. normally she was a very friendly and cool mil, but now am seeing a total diff side of her.. i am not sure how i say tht i am not comfortable with all these things.. did any of u had such experiences?

sharvani

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Op, I have never heard of these conditions that your MIL imposes on you.

State firmly and politely that you will take care of the pregnancy. If you are not comfortable having her around post delivery, please be firm and tell your husband that.

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

3. Sparkle19

Sparkle19 Silver IL'ite

Congrats @Sharvani....

I have never heard of such type of superstitions.
    Nothing will happen if you go out on sunday's and thursday's..
    Stay cool don't get worried, if you are worried its not good for baby..

4. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Sharvani,

Congrats on your pregnancy.

I heard only about bangles.
    Reason given by grandma is whenever pregnant lady moves,her bangles will give little noise due to the movement.If she is restless elders will be able to identify it and take care of her.It will work in joint family not now when we live in nuclear family.

Rest and all I have never heard off it.

1 person likes this.
  5. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure about not going out on Sundays and thursdays.

But yes.. The bangles tingling noise reaches the baby. Since it is in water, the voice of the mom , the heartbeat of the mom or the jingles that mom's wears reaches the baby amplified many times and it feels reassured.

Black clothes absorb more heat and provides discomfort when you are pregnant, in addition to the hot flashes that some mom's experience when they are pregnant.

i still feel your MIL is cool and is taking care of you. She is passing you the ideas whatever has been passed to her.. Nothing wrong in that. Feel blessed that your MIL is concerned about you.

whether you want to follow it or not is upto you. Listen to your body and your mind. But I will not hurt my MIL who is otherwise cool.. I would probably nod Yes..yes.. And continue to do whatever I want to do.. :)

5 people like this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

So how would the inlaws been taking care of a restless woman? Tying her to bed or something?

Yes, pregnancy has traditionally caused a lot of fear so different kind of traditions been created to restrict the pregnant woman. In the name of "protecting" her.

7. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Taking care in the sense that at least they will know something is wrong with her.In joint family probably the DIL may not tell her in laws if she is not feeling comfortable or if she is having some pain.

By her restless movement at least they will know that she is not comfortable and find out what is wrong.

2 people like this.
  8. WiniPooh

WiniPooh Gold IL'ite

@sharvani: SOme MILs can just be a touch too paranoid about stuff.. My 2 cents, if there is some logic to stuff, follow it...if you are not comfortable, smile and then ignore. I know the pain as my MIL is either super overbearing and comes up with stuff that can piss off ppl or other end not tell a darn thing either and go into a shell.

The most important thing is tht you are an educated person and if you see logic to something follow it. If you are uncomfortable about somethng, yuo can always check with your mom or doc and then decide on whether you want to follow or not :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Sharvani

Sharvani Bronze IL'ite

thanks for inputs friends.. i will consider to wear bangles then :)

1 person likes this.
  10. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

:) .. I wore them toooooooo.. And my DD turns out to be very good with music and rhythm . :-D

1 person likes this.