Breast Feeding Issues- Help Needed Urgently

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by aarth0203, Jan 22, 2015.

1. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Dear Experienced Moms,

Looking for some advice on serious breast feeding issues I am facing. I delivered a baby gal last weekend. She is doing well so far. But seem to have serious latching issues. I delivered via C-section, since the day of birth until day 3 I breastfeed her. On day 3 her weight went down by 11% and paed instructed to add 30 ml formula feed. Also the lactation consultant adviced to use a Nipple shield as breast size is bigger, though I do not have a flat nipple. Issue started since then.

After taking formula feed and breast feed my daughter refuses to latch with me. We are doing spoon feed of formula. She is expecting the same speed as spoon when I try to breast feed her. When I try to latch with me, she refuses and cries so badly. So since last 2 days I am expressing my milk through a pump and feeding her via spoon. If there is shortage of BM, we are adding formula as top up. Her weight gain seems to be ok, but she refuses to latch. I am trying everytime but she literally cries which is making me upset.

My milk supply seems to be ok so far, but still i am taking ayurvedic medicines to increase the supply. I am taking these tablets for last two days, but I have a strong feeling that my supply will go up only if she latches with me. Can experienced moms please help me make my daughter latch with me? I feel so upset everytime I express milk and feed her and more upset when she cries and refuses to suck from Me

Please helppppp

2. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Views 74, no reply. Please help me experienced moms

3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Aaarth, If i were you, I will call the lactation consultant again and see what she advises.
    Meanwhile, when she starts to fuss for milk, wait for a few minutes (like 10 minutes). And then when she no longer has patience, offer her the breast. I know this may or may not work but until you get the appointment with the consultant, you can give this a try.

Also, why were you doing the spoon feed for formula and not a feeding bottle?

3 people like this.
  4. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rakjii,

Thanks, Me and my lactation consultant tried for 3 days when I was at the hospital and we couldn't succeed. I have tried different things and had to go to formula as she lost 11% of her both weight. The reason i am using is paed is against bottle usage. I am confused and literally feeling like crying and my glands are paining. Also I am so tired of pumping and feeding. I literally feel like i am sick for many years now. Hence I am requesting help from experienced moms

5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

aarth CONGRATS ! BF is tiring and tough process. As a FTM you're running through lots of hormonal emotions too. You need to relax and keep putting the baby to breast. Stop spoon feeding for day. She will suck for sure if you keep putting her to breast. It will frustration for few hours when she will refuse to latch but she will eventually get the hang of it. Avoid using nipple shield as that will confuse her too. There is no magic in BF other than just trying and trying. It will be tough for first few days and when she know that milk will flow she will stop getting frustrated as well. We have all been there so just be calm and try.

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@aarth0203 - your baby is only a few days old. Relax. It takes time for babies to latch sometimes. Don't panic. She can sense it. What position are you trying to feed her in? But a nursing pillow and try the reverse football hold. I had quicker than normal let downs and my little preemie only latched in that position. Look at the lalecheleague website for various feeding positions with pics. Try all and pick her preferred one. Most LCs try only the cross cradle hold and some babies just can't get it. I'm outside and busy and can't find the LLL link but look into that website for latch issues.
    Btw, my preemie latched only after 8 weeks of birth and he was successfully breastfed exclusively for 27 months. So don't panic. You have time.

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear aarth,

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. You are a new mom - lots happening to you. Take a deep breath and calm down. I had always used babycenter.com as a good resource when mine were born. See if you can get some tips from that. I am also absolutely certain that new moms her eon IL will come in and offer you tons of suggestions. Trust me.

That said, a new born will take some time to learn to nurse - your pediatrician should be able to guide you on this. Talk to her again and be patient. Continue trying - do not panic about using bottle and things like that at this point. Get some rest, get some sleep as well. Give it a couple of weeks and once you are more rested, depending on how you feel physically and mentally, you can see what works for you.

Do not worry so much about the weight loss right now. If I remember correctly, babies do lose some weight before gaining it back on. Your baby is what less than a week old right? Your 6 week check up will be the correct predictor for this. It is natural for you to get worried. Most pediatricians are helpful or at least the nurses office will help you if you are concerned. Also make it a point to write down your doubts as and when you get them in a book and carry that to ped. No doubt, no fear is uncalled for as a new mom.

Go back to the lactation consultant and continue to take help and seek out. I am not sure if you are in the US. If yes, the hospital you delivered can also help you - with consultation, resources and things like that.Call and find out.

Finally, babies are resilient and smart - she will figure it out sooner than later :)

I hope others will come and help you. Till then, hugs and you will be smiling in a couple of weeks looking back how well it all worked out. Take care.

PS: See I was right, so many posted before me. Smile girl!

2 people like this.
  8. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for all the kind words. This is what I did today. I pumped my milk and fed her to suppress the initial hunger. Then I tried Breast feeding, she tried for couple of minutes and lost interest. I did the same thing again in the evening. Again I tried the same thing,,she did suck but I was not able to make out if its comfort sucking or she did drink something.
    Another thing I did is stopped spoon feeding and switched to bottle..she seem to drink better without crying. I will keep trying again and again,I sincerely hope I suceed

Regarding the position my lactation consultant kept insisting foot ball position as I was a csec candidate. But today I tried ty traditional cradle position. @srama and @laks09 can you please advice on some position in websites or YouTube videos. I delivered in India only but I hate the lactation consultant as she was not of any use. In case I need to find one more I need to travel at least 20km. Looking forward for your inputs.

9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@aarth0203 - This is the LLL link. It has a wealth of information on breastfeeding. I would also look at other resources on this website and find things that works. Latching issues are common in babies, so try and figure out why she isn't latching - position, tongue tie, late letdown are some things I can think of. Also when she unlatches does milk spray out. That's overactive letdown and babies refuse to latch because it is hard to swallow milk with that kind of let down. Find out why she isn't latching and all answers to fix common latch issues are up there. Do update here, will try to help as much as I can.

10. aarth0203

aarth0203 Silver IL'ite

Thanks @laks09. She tried sucking some 5 minutes today. Again another 5 minutes. I am unable to make out if she drank any. If I try squeezing incan see milk coming out, how can I make sure that milk is coming when she is sucking?
    I am also going to look at the like you have posted thanks

1 person likes this.