Anyone attempting VBAC? (Viginal Birth After C-Section)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rakhii, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, My first one was an emergency C-section as the baby went into distress and the heart-rate was dropping rapidly. That happened after I was dilated to 10 CM and started pushing.

Anyway, now with my second (due in early September 2015), I am confused if I should attempt a VBAC. My doctor always said I am an excellent candidate for VBAC as the cut isnt too deep from the first time. However, every one of my friends who attempted a VBAC ended up getting a C-Section for one reason or the other after trying for a natural birth. Like 15 of my friends! Yes, I counted.

Anyone here in the same boat? Anyone attempting VBAC?

@nuss. If I am not mistaken yours was an emergency C-section right?

2. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,
    Last year i delivered my baby gal thru vbac...first was an csection without any labour pain as dr. made a huge issue out of small problem and scared us to choose c-section.
    this time i done my homework carefully and chose dr. Carefully....after 48hrs of labour pain i gave birth naturally....during such long time i didnt think once abt c-section.there was also cord in my baby neck....
    i kept one thing in my mind tht since when human race is there natural delivery is the way of birth so this is safest....only excrptional cases needs medical help....

2 people like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

thanks coolgirl. Appreciate it. I missed seeing this post. See the thing is, this was what I am also being told but honestly, I am not sure if I am up to going into full fledged labor only to be cut open again. Like it happened the first time.

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@Rakhii Right now don't worry too much on delivery (easy said than done) Enjoy this pregnancy. My friend at work had a C with her DD and with her son she scheduled for C at 40 weeks. (DD was 4yrs old) I am pretty sure she was all healed from first C. But the day before her scheduled C her water broke and she had the baby normally in no time. So she planned one and it happened differently. Labor and delivery is completely not in our hands. Just go with the flow. Good Luck !

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Rakhi -
    Mine first was C-section (4.5 year old) and second C-section is scheduled on Jan 19th. Unfortunatly my Dr is not ready to attempt my VBAC as mine first one was in India but I am willing to do this (I pray everyday to god, don't give any chance to my Dr to perform C-section). I heard from many of friends about their VBAC (only 2 out of 10 had to do emergency C-section while attempting VBAC)..and since they all had one C-section and one VBAC ...they are good candidate for comparison. Alll says, go for VBAC..you may have labor pain but recovery is much easy and fast . Recently , just 1 week back, one of my friend had VBAC and she is all recovered (her C-section was emergence , 2.5 years back), doing all usual things, including taking care of 3 year old.

If your Dr is willing to do, please go for VBAC.

6. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

My first one was a C-Sec, and 2nd one born after 5.5 yrs thru VBAC.
    Dont worry, prepare your body by following healthy diet and walking.

I told my Dr that I want to try VBAC when I confirmed my pregnancy and also accepted the chances of c-sec if there is an emergency.

My DD was born 2 days after my due date, but the last 2 days I walked a good distance( dont try if you cannot), got the pain in the midnight, but the dialtion was only 2 cmc.

I have asked for epidural and had a sound sleep till I got my full dialation.:)
    Dr asked me to push when I was 10cm By 11 am, and my baby was born at 12:20 pm.
    Just 1 hr 20 mins .

Have a Happy preganacy.

7. CuteCherry

CuteCherry Silver IL'ite

Hi @coolgal123, @things4sahana ,
    Congratulations on your successful VBAC.
    I am due in Dec 2015, and planning to go for vbac. Can you please suggest me any tips to follow for successful vbac. Any routine/care to take to avoid uterus rupture? My first one is 3.6 years old now and I am in my 4th month pregnancy. Up to one year back I used to feel pain at stiches area if go long walk or stand for long time.
    Thanks in advance.

8. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Cutecherry, congrats for ur pregnancy....
    first of all u shuld ensure tht ur dr. Supports vbac....regarding utreus scar there is no such method to prevent it from ruptur....it depends on how well it healed....and it can be checked only by ur doctor....
    rest is ensure to take gud care of u so tht no more complicasy gets developed....try to sit straight ...dont sit in leaning backward position....sitting in leaning backward position is comfortable in preganancy and we tend to lean backward on sofa but this sitting postur stop baby to take ideal position for delivery....5 mths onward take care of this thing....
    in my last mth after discussing with dr i started walking for half n hr morning n evening....i used to mop the floor and use to sit on floor cross legs while eating the food....squatting is also gud..these things help fixing the baby head and bringing the baby down..
    but to be done only in last month tht too with ur dr. Advice....
    whatever u do do it wth ur dr. Advice only and try tht the reason beacoz of which previous csec happened doesnt occur again....

Like mine was low amniotice fluid....so second time i emphasized on eating protein rich food, drinking more liquids and not exhausting myself...ao second time even it was low but not tht much tht it causex alarm...
    Believe in urself n ur body....tht is imp. Too....
    rest ur dr can advice u best....

1 person likes this.
  9. CuteCherry

CuteCherry Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much @coolgal123,
    Thanks a lot for detailed explanation and good suggestions.
    Will definitely follow them and will discuss with doctor as well before doing anything.
    Thanks a lot :)

10. things4sahana

things4sahana New IL'ite

Cutecherry, congrats for ur pregnancy...:):):)

I will tell u what I have followed...

1.First chk with your Gyn- what happened to perform c-sec for your 1st pregnancy,if someother dr did, try to get the reports from them.
    Discuss the report with your present gync and chk your chances of Vbac.

2.Try to eat healthy food and make sure u r taking rest when ever u feel like
    -i used to commute in train ,1 hr for one way, I will doze off immediatley after stepping inside the train ..:)

3.From 7 months, I started getting
    pre natal massage . My insurance covered the cost, just paid the $10 copay for each visit.from 38 week, i went twice/week for the massage.
    I wont say it helped for Vbac but certainly helped the back pain and I felt so energized.

4.Walking- Miracle word
    Carry a small water bottle and start walking, make sure sit on the curb side chairs for every 10 mins.
    And dont feel u shud walk for 30 mins in a single session ina day.
    try to split it through out the day, I started working from home during my 9th month and will walk 15-20 mins for every 3 hrs.

And in evening my parents or my husband will accompany me,so I can walk for longer duration, ofcourse with sitting time.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.