Travelling to India while pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Kalpana294, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    I'm new to this forum.I need some suggestions from you ladies!! I'm currently about 10 weeks pregnant and would like to travel to India in my second trimester.I might have to travel alone since my husband has some visa issues.I need to know if there will be some assistance in airports with check in luggage.Pls advise!! TIA

2. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

3. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mrunalini
    Thanks for the wishes and the links... But they dont give me the info i'm looking for... I'm seriously worried about the check-in luggage since i wont be to lift heavy weight... although i may not ave the entire allowed weight,i may still carry some...

Any pointers will be helpful..

Thanks

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Your husband can help you here. And in India all airports always have people to help. Make sure they have an airport badge and negotiate the amount BEFORE you get help. WHen coming back, the airports in the US also always have people authorized to help. In any case if you can't find somebody to help, just ask a fellow passenger (choosing a smiling middle aged person is better - from my experience) and they will help.

Congratulations, and all the best. Hope you have a safe flight and wonderful vacation.

5. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you DKI... Any idea where can i find the porters in US airports?? Also will my husband be allowed till check-in area.. its been more than two years since i took a flight so i'm completely lost here...

6. RamyaST

RamyaST Silver IL'ite

Hi Kalpana, Congratulations. Last year same month I travelled to India alone carrying 2 big suitcases, 1 backpack & handbag and I was 7 months pregnant. My husband came till check in and in fact he carried my other bags till the security check queue. Outside the airport you will find trolley get some help from somebody to place the suitcase in the trolley incase if your husband does not accompany you. Rest will be smooth. Relax and happy journey.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    Thanks a ton.. i'm relieved now.. if my husband can accompany till check in it should be ok i guess.. one more question.. did you take any specific vaccine before travelling??

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kalpana,
    I have used help with my bags in the US Airports. I generally pay them a $10-20 tip when they finish helping me with my bags through security or in a cab(when I return). I generally find one right by the curbside cab drop off area when I get to the airport or near baggage claim if I land. I sometimes have asked curbside check in staff for where I could find someone to help with my bags and they point me in the right direction. The person is generally courteous and helps me with my bags all the way through check in and sometimes comes up to the security gate and helps with hand luggage. It generally helps since I travel alone with kids often. And of course, in India too I use help to get my bags outside.

Hth,
    L

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The secret to getting a porter is to be willing to pay for the service. As Laks said, 10-20. I try to do that for a number of reasons and one is that they will sit with the bags if you need the restroom so you don't run into security issues. They also steer you quickly through the airport. Money well spent.

10. Kalpana294

Kalpana294 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Laks and Tashidelek.. that was quite reassuring... one quick question... how to seek help in Chennai airport(assuming u r from chennai) ?? Should i request before reaching or are there some assistance booths where i can seek help??
    Do they allow relatives to baggage claim area ??

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014