Food items to make and freeze for family

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by prss, Aug 11, 2014.

1. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Hi all, I am due to delivery in 2 weeks. When is the best time to cook and freeze some food items for my family so that I will be able to concentrate on other things for the first few days, once the baby is born? What south Indian (mostly tamil) foods can be frozen for 2 weeks at least?
    Please advise.

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Food to freeze:

Different varieties of Sambar
    Plain dhal
    Kootu
    Beetroot chutney without coconut

Almost all North indian gravies as side dish for roti

BUTTTT, are you sure you can take up heavy work, big batch cooking in your 38th week.. My advice is please attempt this only if you have some one to help around you. Take care

3. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

kneesmileykneesmiley for your energy and patience.

Toughest phase in any girl's life, OMG how could you able to think like that.. hats off to you girl..

Be cool and enjoy final days of pregnancy and movements of your baby, you cant bring back these days.

Dont take any stress in this time, let them adjust with hotel food for few days.

If its compulsory

Make some powders

curryleaves powder
    groundnut powder
    sesame seeds powder
    Puliogare paste

And you can get all these from market

4. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

prss check this link How to Freeze Curries & Gravies – Freezer Friendly – Ready to Eat Indian Dishes | Spiceindiaonline

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/recipe-central/96074-need-tips-storing-cooked-food.html

I have tried Aloo Parathas, freezing cooked idlys and just cover them with a wet cloth or a wet tissue and microwave to get them like freshly cooked ones. Also, I tried freezing dosa batter (unfermented and unsalted). I read somewhere that the batter shoudn't be fermented before freezing. So I am not sure if we can freeze fermented batter.

As preethi has suggested, don't try to do too much at this stage. Take care.

5. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have tried fermented salted batter also.. It's ok for oothapams or dosai later..

6. prss

prss Gold IL'ite

Thanks everyone for the reply and yes, I get very tired quickly these days. But then, want to make sure there is something made at home for my family. Dont want them to depend on hotel food all 3 times a day.
    The only thing I am worried about is that we cannot actually predict the delivery date and what if I make loads of food and freeze them but the baby gets to be born after 2 weeks? Will the food get spoilt if frozen for 2 to 3 weeks? And, if I delay making them, what if the baby is born in the next 1 week itself? :) If the food would stay good for 3 weeks, then I can cook now and freeze them all.

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hiya,

as long as the power supply is reliable, the food in the freezer remains good.

You can freeze sambar, bisi bele bath, just plain cooked toor dal, upma(rava/ rice/ aval/ semiya) , biriyani, Palak, pasta, idlis, dosa batter, dhokla, rotis, Paratas... just about anything, actually. I have eaten stuff from the freezer even a couple of months later and it has been brilliant. You could make North Indian side dishes - thaw, add a tadka of jeera, green chillies and ginger strips roasted in ghee and it is like you just made it.

You could prepare extra portions as and when you cook for your family, pack it into individual portions to reheat in the conventional oven.

Here is something I wrote earlier. You might find it useful too.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/p...indian-vegetarian-meals-post.html#post3198220

haVe a safe delivery

1 person likes this.