Jewelry during labour

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Butterflie, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Are our regular chains and rings, the ones we wear everyday allowed during labour?
    Will the staff listen if we say that certain stuff like mangalsutra cannot be removed? My MIL will get a heart attack if I even mention there are policies like these here. :(

I think hospital policies are different in different states, but it will be helpful if some of you pour in your experiences.
    Thank you!!

2 people like this.

2. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

A lot of rules are for your safety-if you need emergency surgery for some reason, it is best not to have on jewelry. Plus, regarding rings, fingers sometimes swell with retained water after giving birth, so removing them before hand negates the possibility that they will have to be cut off.

3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I guess, now everywhere DR ask to remove all the jewels. I had my C-section in India and medical asked me to remove all the jewels inclunding MangalSutra. My SIL had normal delivery and her DR asked my MIL to remove all the jewels.

4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

For a c-section they don't allow any metals on your body. Even my doctor said no lotions either. I never had normal delivery so I don't know .

5. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Just as u said. I delivered 1.5 months ago and after coming to USA I dint wear mangala ultra and bindi. I wore a neck chain before but now I don't wear it.

My my inlaws relatives were astonished to see me in couple of my photos taken post the birth of my child. They wanted me to wear all of these.

I dint give give a damn when they pointed out this to me. It's all ok even for normal delivery sometimes they ask you to take off everything.

1 person likes this.
  6. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

I had c-sec in India and every piece of metal was removed. Hairpins,earrings and thaali. My dh removed them.

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Don't tell anyone anything they don't *have* to know about, especially if you think they might be upset. You will in all probability be asked to remove all the jewellery. The important part is that you are brining your child into this world. Nothing else matters. Just focus on the baby. Have a safe delivery! Xx

2 people like this.
  8. nalinidiv

nalinidiv Platinum IL'ite

I had my c-section in india...My mangal sutra was kept intact... all other jewels( i just wore few glass bangles n toe rings) were removed...
    may be depends on docs hospitals... better ask ur hospital staff they might throw some light

9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

I went into the hospital with my thaali (mangalsutra) and all the bangles from my valaikaappu (baby shower). The only thing the doc had told me to do before I went in was to make sure I had no nailpolish. The reason being that if at I ended up having a c-section, the nails would turn blue in the event of something going wrong, so they had to be devoid of any polish.

After a few hours of labor it was decided that I needed a c-section. It was then that my mother was told to remove all my jewellery. I wore my thaali again the very next day (I am not comfortable without it)

10. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
    Im in my last trimester and am flipping over for small issues!
    Guesshoo: i just hope my husband doesnt just go over and rant about it while Im in labour.
    He freaked out so much when I had to remove it for 10 mins for a fun activity. I was aghast when he actually made me promise that i would never ever do it again. My feeling is that some material possesion cannot enhance or decrease someones life. It might have worked 100 years ago but in present generation, something called love is more important than mangalsutra. :confused2::bonk