28 weeks pregnant and diagnosed with polyhydramnios

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cutebarbie, Apr 3, 2014.

1. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I am 28 weeks pregnant and went for an ultrasound scan today.. The Aminotic fluid (AFI) is 22.5 and the scan report says the liquor is more and hence its polyhydramnios.. Baby weight is 1398 with fetal ac>90th percentile..
    My glucose tolerance test came back normal.. but doc said the increased aminotic fluid level is due to high sugar level.. and asked me to check my sugar level after each meal by using a glucometer.. I am really confused and worried now..

I am very much depressed after this..

Is there anybody here who faced similar issues and what is the way to bring the aminotic fluid level back to normal??

2. DinkyManoj

DinkyManoj Silver IL'ite

Don't worry dear cutebarbie, keep your sugar levels in controll. Avoid lots of sweets!
    ill keep you in my prayers and things will become alright. I actually had low fluid and had to drink 5 Ltrs of water everyday in a month it became normal, so just follow your doctors advice.

3. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Dinky Manoj,
    Thanks for the reply.. For excess aminotic fluid should I not drink more water and should I do any excercise??

My Gynae did not ask me to do anything other than keeping my sugar level under control..

4. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

Anybody here, please help me with your reply..

5. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

Did you start using glucometer? What are your readings?

6. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

I don't think you have to reduce your water intake.

7. Whitelight

Whitelight Silver IL'ite

cutebarbie... Sorry to hear about your condition. But i have heard there are medications available that can reduce the amniotic fluid level and its effective upto 95% . Why dont you talk to your dic about this. Mothers glucose level could be a cause..so restricting your sugar intake could help. Most of the water there is babys urine.. So reducing water intake is not going to help... Keep drinking water.
    I hope you will find a solution to this soon.
    take care

8. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi cutebarbie

My sincere prayers for you and the baby.. Follow the doctor's advice and control the sugar intake.. Did you do any other tests to monitor the baby and the conditions ?

There are treatments available for this, but the most simplest is to control the sugars.. The cause for this is unknown and it may go away in a few weeks.. So wish you the best and hope the excess fluid goes away all by itself without any treatments.. Take care.

9. Lavz2805

Lavz2805 Silver IL'ite

Hi Cutebarbie,

i would like to share my experience with you..i was diagnosed with polyhydroaminos in my third trimester..

my first advice is don't read much abt it in net since it leaves u scared and guilty of situation.

secondly,get control over food..am sure doctor would have given you a diet char..try to follow that religiously..i avoided bananas,watermelon and grapes..also had brown rice for 10 weeks..also drink lot of water..its required to flush excess glucose..

this phase will pass very soon so don't worry..and lastly, be prepared for any last min changes in your pregnancy plan like the child would not fix till due date orbaby position changes to breech..it happens and its normal..our science has solutions for all these exigencies its just that you have to be prepared..

in my case, my baby turned breech at the last moment and i had to get a c sc done...but am perfectly fine now.

take care...

regards,
    Lavz

and thatQUOTE=cutebarbie;3211228]Hi,
    I am 28 weeks pregnant and went for an ultrasound scan today.. The Aminotic fluid (AFI) is 22.5 and the scan report says the liquor is more and hence its polyhydramnios.. Baby weight is 1398 with fetal ac>90th percentile..
    My glucose tolerance test came back normal.. but doc said the increased aminotic fluid level is due to high sugar level.. and asked me to check my sugar level after each meal by using a glucometer.. I am really confused and worried now..

I am very much depressed after this..

Is there anybody here who faced similar issues and what is the way to bring the aminotic fluid level back to normal??[/QUOTE]

10. cutebarbie

cutebarbie Silver IL'ite

@Lavz2805
    Thanks for your reply..
    Actually i googled and got scared to the core!! something like fetal abnormalities etc etc.. mentioned in the net and i was totally upset.. But ur reply just gave a sign of relief.. how is ur LO?? was ur baby big when he/she born??
    My gynae said iam having polyhydramnios with big baby!!