Nipple cream / nipple cracks - Questions

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Feb 15, 2014.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Am 31 weeks pregnant and my due is in April.

I've few q's on nipple cream/ application/ usage.

1. When is the best time to start applying nipple cream? Should we start in the 9th month?
    2. Lanolin niple cream was suggested by my dr. Is this good? How about Masse cream?
    3. I heard that some ladies are suffering from nipple crack problem soon after delivery and are unable to feed their LO's. So, by applying cream at 9 month can prevent crack/dryness later?

Please throw your thoughts on this.

PS: With my 1st pregnancy, I never aplied any creams and no cracks or dryness. But, not sure about the 2nd one.

2. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

hi Anitha, if u're referring to dryness or crack due to breastfeeding, take some breast milk and apply on the cracks. the milk is the best medicine for the crack.
    a malay midwife taught me this.

1 person likes this.
  3. AnithaPartha

Hi Shantana,

Am 31 weeks pregnant. I was actually looking for opinions on how to prevent crackness post delivery. Dr instruction sheet says, apply cream from 9th month..

anyone followed that and found good results?

4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi, im a first time preggie so no experience at all, but i heard from my mom and grandmom that the application of mothers milk on the nipple and to let it dry on air is best. I heard too from elder ladies that its not good to apply such nipple creams during breastfeeding on nipples as it could sort of "come" into the milk or could be sucked off by the baby.. made some sence for me, so not sure about usage of creams.. maybe its really best to do it before delivery?!?

interesting thread, thanks for pushing my thoughts that way :)

5. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

ok i got, u meant stretch mark prevention cream. try Bio Oil stretch marks oil. this oil is worth to buy as u can apply it on ur tummy and also on ur thighs and also on ur breast. just Google Bio Oil.

but dear nipples dont get crack during pregnancy, but ur breasts will get stretch marks.

6. AnithaPartha

Hi Shantana,

Thanks for the tips. But, I was actually looking for good nipple creams to be applied post delivery and also during pregnancy during 9th month to avoid post cracks..

7. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anitha Congratulations on your pregnancy. I dont think you can prevent nipple crack during pregnancy. I applied Boots breast cream when I was pregnant, but I got nipple crack anyway. Coconut oil helped me to cure the cracks in few days.