Why women staying abroad have deliver abroad instead of India?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Awife, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Awife

Awife Bronze IL'ite

I have noticed many women staying in the USA, having their delivery in the USA. Once the baby becomes 3 months old, most of the ladies fly to India with their baby for few months.

So my qustion is what makes a woman to opt for a delivery in a foreign country instead of India?

Is it :
    1. Child will get USA citizenship ?
    2. Better treatment in the USA
    3. Job ?
    4. Travelling during pregnancy is considered harmful?

Or any other reason ?

I am currently in an European country where my child won't get citizenship even if I deliver my child here. Anyways, I feel if I have my delivery in India, I will be happier because my parents will be comfortable (as compared to my parents being here for my delivery).

Do you girls see any reason for me to have a delivery in Europe instead of India ?

2. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

I am a working woman and we don't get paid maternity leave like in India.We have to use our medical/sick/annual leave time for maternity leave, so it is not practical to travel to India to give birth.

I also agree that there are better facilities over here compared to India, I have very good insurance and I get really good treatment for the money I spend. Citizenship is also an added advantage, as the kids won't have to go through the whole lengthy process of getting US visa. Being US citizen, also opens lots of opportunities for the kids as they can travel to many countries without requiring visa. In future, they can decide if they want to live in US or India.

sindmani and AnithaPartha like this.
  3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

As far as i heard from my relatives two things i get to know -
    1. getting citizenship is easy.
    2. better medical facilities during delivery ie mostly there the docs atleast try their utmost level for normal delivery.

Also the expenses incurred during delivery is huge there but still some companies borne the expenses and the insurance is also prevails ofcourse....

sindmani likes this.
  4. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

I delivered my son here in the U.S, even though I preferred to come to India. My parents could not come for my delivery and I missed them sorely. My husband wanted my delivery in the U.S for two main reasons - he couldn't take time off from work to be with me in India and he was very clear that he wanted to be with me in the labor room and cut the cord himself! Second, citizenship.

Personally, I couldn't care less about citizenship, but I wanted my husband to be with me during the delivery. I was also very impressed with the hospital where I chose to deliver, the OB's care during my pregnancy check-ups, cleanliness, etc. And I don't regret it because I had a safe and smooth delivery as well as good post-partum care.

The only reason I wanted to deliver in India was because of my family.

CJ

5. Gossipgurls

Gossipgurls Silver IL'ite

Citizenship is always a bonus .... We pay huge amts to insurance fr coverage, so why not make use of it while getting the treatment. Parents are always welcome to help out, even if they can't make it DH and me raise them making our arrangements, I would rather have DH bond with baby and me then be away frm us.

if you are in Euro? Which country ... If in England I would suggest to go India , coz in India if your spend a lot of money in big hospital you will get a good care guarantee.(personal experience) if you choose NHS (if in England ) it's a nightmare, shortage of beds and staff various other reasons , they will rush you in and out coz another women is waiting to take your bed , postpartum is another nightmare, if your are first time mom no help with breastfeeding or no lactation consultations to help you.( DH is DR with NHS before we moved to states) I have a lot of frnds in London who went to India fr they second child after they experience with NHS.

if you choose to be in euro , your DH would be with you ...even though it's a struggle in the first you guys will bond as a family and bring you both close than ever , it does not matter if your parents are they or not but you DH by your side will make postpartum much better.

good luck with everything !

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.