water breaking during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by skyinsc, Oct 15, 2013.

1. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies, how to identify a waterbreak during pregnancy? i mean how will you differentiate it from normal vaginal discharge. i see some wet spots on my panty and i am worried if it is water breaking (this is my first pregnancy and not sure what to expect)? are there any other symptoms to identify a water break. i usually try to walk for 40min a day. can this walking anyway cause water break to happen ? i had my 20w ultrasound around 2 months back and everything seem to be normal. if there is any chance of water break to happen could it be identified in the 20w anamoly scan? please help me ladies . i seem to worry about everything these days :cry:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Waterbreaking would be a real big flow of water from your vagina till your feet. Trust me you will know when it breaks.. I felt pain when my water broke with first pregnancy and I was like you how will I know when it breaks.. Now I know.. You will be all wet.. Not just leak in panties.. May be youre losing control of bladder which is very common in pregnancy or you have excessive discharge.. Nothing to worry.. Stay calm

4 people like this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't worry. :) When the water breaks it doesn't leak, it pours! It's a big gush of water coming down your nether regions. Almost like a jug of water, not tiny drops. Trust me, you will know when it happens. Your pants/skirts everything will get wet.

Wet spots on your underwear are normal cervical discharge. If it smells or had blood in it then you have a problem. Otherwise an odorless translucent/milky discharge is normal.

Walking does not cause your water bag to rupture. It will help you a lot during labor, so keep walking.

4 people like this.
  4. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much chitravivek and Gauri for your response. you have no idea how much relieved i am with this info:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Funny how we both used the exact same words. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Dreamer3

Dreamer3 Junior IL'ite

Thank you ladies. I had the same question as I've been 6 months pregnant. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

7. rv8

rv8 Gold IL'ite

Ladies, not meaning to confuse anyone.. I heard from someone who delivered her baby last year, that her water broke but it was not gushing.. She just had trickles, similar to incontinence but later she found that it was actually her bag of waters that broke.. But I need to mention she was just a couple days from her due date.. Can someone confirm if I am right?

8. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

As far as i know...it depends upon person to person...For some it may be a huge gush of water spilling out (uncontrollable) and for some it may be a warm trickle of fluid down the legs...I experienced the former one during my 1st delivery...it was a huge gush of water rushing out ...it didn't stop or slow down...and from that point my actual labor pain started....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. muthu21

muthu21 Gold IL'ite

yes.. like others said water would be gushing out.. you cant control it.. i experienced the same.. you will definitely know..

10. Subha2309

Subha2309 Gold IL'ite

In most cases that I have heard, it's always uncontrollable flow of water. In my case also, in my 35th week, while I was sleeping, suddenly I felt that my nighty was fully wet and even the bed became wet. We immediately rushed to the doctor. He monitored how much water was there inside and since it was still half full, he kept me under observation and periodcially checking the water levels. After that, there was continuous leaking for 3 days before my son was born.

I was lying like a statue, as even a slight movement will increase the water flow. I was on medication to delay labour, as a special injection was given to speed up the lungs development of the child, which needed atleast 48 hours to work.

2 people like this.