Gestational diebetes or Type 2

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by babymiracle, Oct 4, 2013.

1. babymiracle

babymiracle Senior IL'ite

hi all,

i m 28 yr old,I m 30 weeks pregnant and i got diagnose gestational diabetes at 14 weeks... then i was controling with diet but as it was not working properly so my dr put me on insuline.. rite now after using insuling i got under control level as well.... BUT ther is always gives me worry or confusion that WAS I DIABETIC BEFORE I GOT PREGNANT? this ques stay in my mind all day and night and it gives me worry a lot wht if i m alreay diabetic.

I m not overweight
    I got nomal test result for [FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]HbA1c[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Is ther any way to know weather i m diabetic or not or just GD...?? plz share your thoughts and experience.. ladies i realy need your support and some guild lines .. i m tense and worried all the time... plz plz plz reply soon.. i m waiting
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

6 weeks post delivery, you will be asked to go through similar tests to find exactly what you are asking for. Most likely it is GD and will go away. Relax.

But GD indicates insulin resistance in your body and you might have to be extra careful with your weight and diet later. For now, relax and enjoy the rest of pregnancy. GD is fairly common.

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

How much was your A1C level? If it was above 5.7% then you probably were prediabetic. If it was lower, then this is just GD. But having GD does mean that you have a 50% chance of developing diabetes later in life. That risk can be managed by controlling weight and leading an active lifestyle. Don't worry. Stress can affect your sugar levels pretty significantly.

4. babymiracle

my A1c level was 5.1 %

5. Gauri03

An A1C of 5.1% is completely normal. It is unlikely you had diabetes prior to being pregnant. Besides you are quite young to develop type 2 diabetes. My A1C was 5.0%. I am older than you, and I am 100% sure I didn't have diabetes before getting pregnant. I have GD now, and I am nearly 36 weeks. I take insulin at bedtime too. My OB says that it is very very rare for GD to convert to type 2 immediately after delivery. I really don't think you should worry about this. Relax and enjoy your remaining pregnancy.

1 person likes this.
  6. babymiracle

hi Guari03

Thank you so much for ur support and such a caring words gives me relief..as why i m worried this much with prob bocz
    1. as my father has diabetes and he got it early age
    2. as i never tested diabetes b4 pregancy
    3. and about [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]A1C test that test i have tested after 10 days of started insulin. does that effect my result.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]4. biggest worst thing is i have started insulin 4 times in day.. and now i m on stady dose of 8 unit insulin.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]so this all thing gives me a worry that i might be a diabetic.... only 2 things is sporting that i m not diabetic is my BMI is normal i hv never been overweight in my life and through the insulin i m easily controlling my levels.. as i heard tht those who are already diabetic can not be able to control easily and levels fluctuate frequently.. this are the only things relieve me that i might not be diabetic... I m praying to GOD hope things goes well at end...thank you very much for ur support dear i realy appreciate help.... plz reply if u have any inputs... i'll be waiting ur ans

bye TC
    [/FONT]

7. Gauri03

Hi babymiracle, the A1C level is based on sugar values of previous three months, so your insulin probably didn't affect it much. Your dad's diabetes does increase your risk, but your doctor would have caught it right away if you had diabetes. In diabetics the sugar spills into the urine. When the doctor tests urine at your regular visit, they also check for sugar. If you had diabetes they would have caught it. Many women have to take insulin throughout the day and that doesn't mean they had diabetes. I take 30 units at bedtime. So your dose is not very big. There are women who take more than 100 units at a time. Eat well, take regular walks and don't take any stress. Whatever happens you can handle it after your baby is born.

1 person likes this.
  8. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Most likely it is GD. While testing were you stressed out. It happened to me. The day of testing I was a bit late and was hurrying. Also I was undergoing emotional stress at that time and tested positive for diabetes. depending on my earlier history, the doc asked for a retest and at that time I made sure to calm myself down and not hurry. I did not need any medications per se through pregnancy but doc told me that I had a chance of developing diabetes later in life and that I should be careful about diet and exercise from now on itself. Emotional stress plays a major role. If possible try to do relaxation and meditation. Enjoy your pregnancy and do not worry.

1 person likes this.