pregnant and offered a job interview.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by shrutimanjunath, Sep 12, 2013.

1. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I am in my 14th week of pregnancy. Now I am cleared for a telephonic interview and have a personal HR interview with the HR and the manager. I am keen to take up this job. I am not sure if I have to tell them about my pregnancy. However, even if i tell I doubt they will hire me now.I do not have any health concerns now and perfectly fit to work.
    Do you think I should tell them about my pregnancy during the interview to be honest?
    When is the ideal time to tell them. please advise
    :spin

2. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Go for the interview and see how it goes. You don't need to tell them now, you can tell them after selection process or when you go to sign papers. Under FERPA rules, they can not keep any discrepancy.

Good luck with the interview

1 person likes this.
  3. shrutimanjunath

Hi crazy mom,
    Papers as in for verification..?

4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

One thing to consider is your leave. Some companies have a clause where they give leave after certain number of months. You don't want to be in a situation where you are stuck up. I think, It's not necessary to inform of your pregnancy and not hiring you would lead to problems their end, but really you need cooperation during pregnancy,delivery and after child birth. Please think it through. I'm not experienced in legal aspects, just giving a personal opinion.

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

No. Papers means the joining letter. When you get selected, they will send you the offer letter. You will tell them that you are accepting the offer. Then they will invite you to sign the joining letter. Tell them that time.

6. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

I dont see any reason to disclose your pregnancy to them (just my opinion ) . you can attend the interview and if everything goes well join the job .. you have nothing to lose if they hire you without you disclosing your pregnancy.you can continue till 9th month and take maternity leave .but make sure new job is not too stressful that it takes toll on your health.

7. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Job offer letter.

1 person likes this.
  8. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Under FMLA, you are allowed to take 6 weeks of maternity leave (8 weeks in case of c-section)

Generally, you are supposed to use accumulated sick leave. In case you are out of sick leaves, use annual leave time. However for supplemental medical insurance, that can be useful when you are out of leave, requires you some time period before using it.
    http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

1 person likes this.
  9. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP, You said you are keen to take up this job....so you know what u want to do. There is absolutely no need to disclose your pregnancy in your job application or during your interview unless you are already showing(I guess you are not since you are only 14 weeks now). You can choose to disclose once an offer is made, at which point your employer cannot pull off your offer as it will be discrimination and a legitimate employer will never do that due to many legal consequences involved. That being said, I suggest you net telling them until you are offered the job. Even at that point you dont have to disclose it to HR, you can tell it to your manager directly as your leave and all related approvals depend on him/her. Some companies have one year waiting period before your long term leave/maternity leave benefits kick in, but some companies offer them as soon as you finish your probationary period(3 months or six months). Worst case scenario if you will not be eligible for long term leave by your due date, you can choose to resign the job and no one can stop you from doing that since TX is at will state. You can always chose back to work once your ready again.

Hope this helps, good luck with your pregnancy and interview :)

1 person likes this.
  10. shrutimanjunath

Hi sweetshreya,
    Would taht be fine? when i gave my telephonic interview, she asked me if i have any questions. I just asked about the company. Now when I tell them while accepting the offer, wont they think,why they werent informed in personal interview.

I am just thinking that they accept me and hire me.