Usage of flat iron/medicure/others during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Aug 15, 2013.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

I got used to flat iron for straightening my hairs every week or after every hair wash. As am pregnant now, i thought to check if I should limit flat iron usage?

Am talking about temporary ceramic flat iron and not permanent (chemical ) hair st ing.

When we're normal we can do anything but during pregnancy I think its better to check what to do and what not to do !

Please let me know if anything else we need to avoid during pregnancy.

PS: Also, want to know about facials (as we have to lie for an hour facing sky), manicure/pedicure during pregnancy is safe or not.

2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Usage of flat iron during pregnancy

Anitha,

I'm pregnant and I use flat iron every week. As far as I know, you should not use hair sprays that contain Phthlates.

3. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

There should be no problem with using a flat iron during pregnancy. Many women use flat irons, curling irons, and hair dryers during pregnancy without issues. These implements don't use chemicals, and so they are not affected by the hormonal and chemical changes of pregnancy, and they also don't alter the chemical structure of the hair.

4. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Uma & Cissyboo..
    Yes, it has become like I cannot survive without my flat irons :)
    Generally, I don't use hair spray (will use it only for function or parties, but will try to avoid for next 9months). Questions:
    1. What about heat protectors before you iron your hair? Can we use that? I use MATRIX brand
    2. I have plans to India and during that time I may go to straighten my hair. I don't know what sprays they use it there in India now a days. Should I ask them to avoid sprays? Heat protectors are safe?
    3. Manicure/Pedicure - safe?

5. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

You can go ahead and iron your hair. Normally hair fall happens only in the post natal phase, most women have lesser hair fall and stronger nails during pregnancy, it is partly because of the pregnancy hormones, the healthy diet and because of the pre natal supplements.

No harm comes to the baby and ironing is definitely a safer option than re bonding and straightening techniques which are chemical based. What my suggestion would be is to iron the hair only when you need to do it for a social event. Spare your hair from frequent ironing and don't forget to oil it and take the necessary care for your hair which you normally do.

Take care and God bless

1 person likes this.