natural chil birth or epidural bith? please share ur birth experiences

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by rams22, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rams22

rams22 Gold IL'ite

Hi im ramya from hyderabad ,started with my 8th month of pregnancy.....this is my first im excited as well as getting very tensed about the labor and delivery part of the pregnancy.....as im approaching nearer to my delivery im now thinking of the options i have for my labor....please share ur experiences with normal delivery with or without epidural and if u have undergone natural childbirth without any medications for pain please advice me how to cope up with the pain....... please pour in ur advices so that i am able to decide.......

During my last visit to the gyn i asked her about the epidural analgesia she offered me two options like two hospitals to get admitted either or.....one is vivekananda hospital in begumpet which is very new to us and do not have any former acuaintance with it where they offer with epidural analgesia that is 1 hour away from my home another is sagarlal hospital in musheerabad where i myself was born and it was well known to my family from past many years which is like 15 mins from my home where they do not offer epidural and i have to go through normal delivery at any cost .....although the gynaec is the same in both hospitals im afraid if facilities are good or not....

now im not able to decide which hospital to get admitted to many people are advising me in different ways.......the pros and cons of both hopspitals are to be considered........ if i get admitted to vivekananda hospital i will see if i can go through the pain as far as possible and if i cannot i can ask for the epidural but its a bit high range in price and far from my home........ if i join in sagarlal hospital i compulsorily have to go through the pain no matter what happens i can't get any pain relief.......its a nice hospital with normal pricing and near to my home.....

so this is the case.....im not able to decide upon which hospital to choose i cannot choose any other hospital in the city because my gyn only practices at these two hospitals......

so i have explained my case in an elobarate manner ( sorry for the long post).....please advice friends.....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

2. ramyasuresh

ramyasuresh Silver IL'ite

i have heard that it has side effects as head ache for long time. Better u go for normal delivery bcoz u wont have so much of pain u expect. we saw films and expect more pain but that is not the reality. have a safe delivery

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My mom and all the normal moms gave birth without epidural, but through normal deliveries. They were just fine with that, although it is not something easy. We are not the first moms on this earth to go through it, and so nothing much to think or worry about it.

If your baby is in the right position, and if he is ready by all the other means to come out, and your body too supports well, then I would advise you to go for a natural birth. Your doctor would be able to tell this to you.

I tried natural birth without epidural last time, but the pain was just horrible. I am sure no moms of our past generation would have gone through such a horrible pain to give birth to a baby. Then I realized my case was different as my cervix did not dilated beyond 3CM for a whole day, and my doctors kept on giving me medicines to induce my pain. It was just horrible...

Since I was a new mom, I did not know what is it, but as advised by a nurse I opted for epidural for once and that too did not help me deliver my son normal. Finally they decided to perform an emergency c-section.

Undergoing a c-section was like a heaven to me. The rest is for your imagination :)

So, do not plan everything in advance, specially for the first one.
    Select a hospital that has both normal and epidural facility. Also look at them whether they have options for emergency c-sections at any time of the day (mid nights too). And then consider the costs associated with it, the distance and the availability of helps.

4. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

hi rams !!
    i have two kids & both are normal deliveries . i would suggest you go for natural child birth because women have been birthing babies for hundreds of years & in the past there were no epidurals, a woman's body is designed to handle a child birth & for a natural childbirth , recovery is fast & it is also good for the baby.
    that said there may be medical complications which might necessitate surgery / pain relief.

form what i have found so far - epidural is not a necessity & is more of a matter of choice, also if you do want to go for it, you have to indicate your preferance before you go into labour as there is a time window within which only epidural if applied is effective. Also ensure that you have good anaesthesologist & experinced gynae who has handled epidural cases before.

advice on epidural is 50-50. some say why they should bear so much pain when no one is going to get a gold medal for it .for some people they have been very effective making their experience of child birth memorable.

yet in some cases, there have been many side effects - pain in back for quite a few years at the point where epidural needle is inserted, increse in fetal distress & increase in c-section probability, you wont come out of the anaesthesia for atleast a day, incrrease in probability of delivery by forceps / vaccuum. also, during your entire prepgnancy you avoid so many medicines / drugs , why to go for a such a large dose of drugs during childbirth.

all in all, weigh your options & decide, ask your doctor to recommend somebody for whom she has had an epidural birth & talk to her.
    research on net & make an informed choice, dont let the fear of labour pain to overwhelm you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP

I had a normal delivery but i was given epidural an hour or so before delivery.I had not asked for it though.
    After the injection i only felt a kind of numbness.There wasnt much pain except during the last half an hour when the pain had increased so much that i could not even speak or for that matter make any kind of sound.By then i was already in the labor room.And after my baby was born i was given stitches.
    I must say i had no issues during or after delivery.No side effects too.

6. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Hi rams22,

I do second SGBV's views. Natural child birth is the best way to deliver a baby if circumstances favour it. I'd a normal delivery without epidural. Though I felt the pain was unbearable at the moment, but it was just for a few hours. I delivered my baby in 2 hours after reaching the hospital.

The baby's position and your body should support it. A few tips that I followed during the last 2 months of pregnancy.

Apply castor oil to your back, sides and hip and massage softly. Then wash them with extremely hot water.
    When you cook rice in a pot, take a cup of water after the rice boils and add butter and palm sugar to it and have it.

Have a safe pregnancy and delivery.

7. rams22

rams22 Gold IL'ite

thank you all for the replies....im thinking to go for a natural birth and till now my baby and me are going good no complications.....but i do not know about the pain threshold till what extent im going to bear it.....im mentally preparing myself to go unmedicated but im still scared if i could do it or not.....i really do not know how labor pains would be....will anybody just throw some light over it?

8. satyasrinivas80

satyasrinivas80 Silver IL'ite

rams22,

This was my experience with my first one: Before delivery and in the labor room, I said no medication for the pain and I was able to handle the pain till I was 6 cm dilated, and I was shivering like anything. Usually, the doctors won't suggest epidural when the patient is dilated as much as me but after seeing my shakiness the doc said ok to have it but the minimal dosage. I didn't feel the pains but just numbness in the legs after the epidural and had my baby just after 2 1/2 hours. I don't have any side effects till now! This time, I'm keeping my options open and if I have my baby without the help of epidural well and good and if not, that's is also fine.

9. aryashi

aryashi Gold IL'ite

All the best dear.. Wish you a happy safe delivery..
    According to me both the hospitals are good
    I had c section n was on epidural..till date I don't have any sideeffects..

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

@OP
    Girl Take that Epi..There is nothing unnatural about Epidural or C-section. All that matters is a happy healthy baby + mom .
    I had with mine. Zero side-effects.
    Yes grand moms delivered without one..but then teeth were pulled out without anesthesia...that was then ..this is now..we have an option. Use it. Congratulations and best wishes!

13 people like this.