high AFI! please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by 6teenpearls, Jul 23, 2013.

1. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

AFI= amniotic fluid index

hi ladies,
    i am 35 weeks pregnant.

when i had a scan on 23 weeks my AFI was 17 cms,

at 35 weeks scan my AFI was 21 cms.

my doc says its a bit high.

i cant control my sugar cravings and have a little sweets few times so dont know if its playing a role.
    BTW my fasting sugar is normal (71).

my doc says there's nothing to worry about it, but still i wanted to know from you ladies that did anyone suffer from the same situation?

how(if) this situation can affect us or our LO?

also my DOC gave a syrup named " elixir neogadine" to be taken for a week..

please share your experiences.......i am a bit worried..

2. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

if any body knows then please explain me, why this syrup is prescribed, it is written " appetite stimulant" on the bottle.........

3. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

hi 6teenpearls..
    i dont know much about AFI..but I remember sdiva20 mentioning in one of the posts on April2013 Moms thread, about having high amniotic fluid.. she might have more info about it..

4. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

thanks simplegirl for your words, i hope sdiva sees my thread and answers.............

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

The normal range of AFI is 5cm-25cm, although the preferable range is between 10-20cms. If that is out of the preferable range, then the doctors would have an eye on the patient, and sometimes they would call for an early induced labor instead of waiting till the baby naturally comes out.

In your case, although it is within the normal range 21CM, it can also be considered as out of preferable range; hence the doctor did mention that to you.

AF is the fluid that your child in womb swallows and then urinate within the sac. It is ultimately your child's urine at this stage.
    When a child cannot swallow much of AF, but urinate as normal then the fluid level increases.

If it is extremely high as I said earlier like above 25CM at the time of 35-36 weeks, then the doctors will go for a specific scan to determine the reason.
    Normally fluids go down at the later stage of pregnancy starting from 36th week. So, in your case there is nothing to worry.

Also, if needed, you can deliver the baby anytime soon as you are approaching full term. So, be relaxed.

I had low amniotic fluid at my 35th week and it was 10CM. Doctor advised me to be on bed rest for 2 weeks, and then checked for it. As a miracle it remained same at week 37; hence they advised me to be normal and expect for a normal delivery only.
    But when I approached week 38, I had labor pain but delivered my son on the same dy, weighting 3 Kg through emergency c-sec
    He is absolutely normal, and leading a very normal, active life. He is 2.5 yrs old btw...

1 person likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

elixir neogadine is a vitamin syrup. As far as I know (I googled for you) it has got nothing to do with your AFI issue. It is to increase your appetite and to increase your energy level. Nothing to worry

7. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

hi 6teenpearls,

i have not much idea about afi. but dont worry. everything will be normal. my prayers for you

1 person likes this.
  8. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

thanks so much for your concerning words... i am feeling much relaxed now..........

9. 6teenpearls

6teenpearls Gold IL'ite

its ok jeny, but thanx for showing concern...................