What to wear during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by galwidpassion, Jun 3, 2013.

1. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I am in my second trimester now and am in serious search of maternity wear. I stay in bangalore.

I am in full confusion as to what is the best dress to wear in pregnancy.
    I am planning to take few kurtas and match them with leggings. But my, MIL says that leggings elastic will hurt the baby. Is it true? Anyway here are my doubts:

1. I am planning to buy loose kurtas and wear them. Anarkali kinds. Is that okay?
    2. My MIL suggests me to buy cotton dress materials and get them stitched with lot of extra cloth for future. Is this better than kurtas?
    3. Am planning to wear leggings. Do the elastic hurt the baby? Should we wear them above the bump or below?
    4. Are there any better options than these?

Please help. Am in bangalore. So it would be even more great if you suggest me some shops in bangalore too.

I have checked maternity wear in few showrooms like mom & me. They are pretty expensive. I can't spend so much right now. So now, am in a fix. :( What are the alternatvies?

2. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

hi had delivered 3 months back n I was wearing leggings with kurtas, the same what you are planning. infact I wore the same in my earlier pregnancy too and never had any problem with elastic, only thing is that while shopping you select good quality one . infact in salwars the nada which has to be tied that gives a problem.
    at home the gowns are very comfortable.

sindmani and galwidpassion like this.
  3. prchitra

prchitra Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Buy loose kurthis, Anarkali model will do fine..if you could get front button type.. it will be useful for feeding also..

Regarding leggins.. if u have the habit of pulling till ur stomach.. it will hurt when days passes.. you have to put the elastic part below stomach will ease u... personally i feel during last months.. pattiyala type of pants i felt its good..

You could even try long skirts/ wrap around also..

1 person likes this.
  4. mybaby1

mybaby1 Gold IL'ite

well I will add here that in india two kind of leggings are available one is 2-way n the other is 4-way stretchable. ask to the vendor for 4 way one as it stretches all the sides n it will be r eally relaxing In later months when u gain more weight.n as per pulling upto stomatch I use to but never hurt..

1 person likes this.
  5. Evolet

Evolet Senior IL'ite

Hi

I am in my second trimester and in bangalore as well :) ... I am not sure on how it will work but am also planning to wear leggins and kurta only.. Am getting slightly bigger ones especially around tummy , these days there are long kurtas slightly like frock type which I believe will work well for pregnancy as well as later.

Last week i went to Gopalan mall in Old madras road and in their top floor there is some discount sale where they had quite a lot of kurtis of this type for 500 rupees. Few of them were really good..worth wearing even to office and few of them were good to wear at home type.. The advantage is all of them are pure cotton and i think if i stay at home , i could even use it without leggin since they dont have slit and flow below knee..

hope this info is useful. If you find any good shops , let me know as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Hi Evolet,

Great that you too are from Bangalore, and that too in second trimester!!! . I have decided on buying kurtis only. Buying cotton materials and stitching them is quite difficult task for me. I haven't checked Gopalan mall but I had been to megamart in Forum value mall in whitefield. They have a wide range of kurtha collection and have found many of the type you mentioned. (big around tummy). I had brought a bigger size than what I currently wear hoping that even if I put on little weight they will fit. Do check there once.

On browsing, I came to know that Jayanagar 4th block has good collection of shops. But I had never been there. I will try out that shop in Gopalan. Will let you know if I find any more. Could you find any place which sells maternity innerwear?

BTW how's your preggo going? Which hospital or doc are u consulting?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  7. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, Try to check if you find maternity pants which has a stretch band that can stretch as your baby bump grows. I know its a little bit high end. However, if you are working person, try to invest in a couple of thee pants. you can simply mix match your tops, kurtis with these when you go out.

To stitch clothes, dont ever do that during and soon after pregnancy. I stitched a few salwars as soon as i delivered and they are so very loose fitting now. Your body changes soon after that..

At home, be relaxed with gowns, nighties.

salwar pants are some time messy.. but not everytime..

Happy Pregnancy!!

8. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

hi Op,

I am also staying in Bangalore.
    And am in my last month of pregnancy.As suggested by previous poster.
    The salwars pants with band are really good investment and will come along till end of pregnancy.Keep a tab on mom n me shops, as they have discounts so sometimes you get them for half price.Also I ordered few tops online during discount and got for a good price.I have also worn leggings most of the time and just placing the band below tummy helps.I prefer leggings from melange they are bit costly than max but very comfi and last long, they don't fade like the max ones.I also bought few kurtis from BIBA on sale during march in 700-800 range.Happy Shopping.moneysmiley
    And enjoy your second trimister bliss.:2thumbsup:

sindmani likes this.