Urgent suggestions needed!!! Friend is going to be induced tomorrow

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rakhii, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

ladies, one of my friends wife is 1 week overdue. Doctor said she would be inducing her tomorrow morning if she doesnt go into labor by then. can anyone please suggest what are the ways of natural labor progressions?

I have already suggested the below:

1. walking
    2. eating spicy food
    3. nipple simulation
    4. sex
    5. eating eggplant Parmesan

anything eles? please advise me so that i can pass it along to her.

2. mirun117

mirun117 Silver IL'ite

Please ask her to masage her Belly with Castor oil, also she can drink some 1 ml to 2 ml castor oil. ( i don't think it has side effects) .. but if someone else say so, we can drop this idea...

1 person likes this.
  3. Rakhii

thank you Mirun, will pass it on. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rakhii, how did it go on for your friend? Did any of the methods work? Im asking because im now sailing in a similar boat then your wifes friend, im overdue as well and doctors talk about inducing after a certain point, hence i would like to find out more about natural ways to "push" it a bit... but also heard some methods would increase risk of c-sec specially if the cervix isnt ready yet.. do you have any idea about this?
    I hope everything went well for your friends wife and she deliverd safely a healthy baby.

Edit: My due date was 28th july and i was diagnosed with spd in early stage of pregnancy why doctors said its risky to have fast and heavy contractions as there is risk of bursting fracture of symphysis, if you know anything it would help a lot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  5. Rakhii

Hugs to you Redruby. I sure hope you go into labor naturally.
    As for my friend, she did end up getting induced. However, after 9 hours of labor, she delivered a healthy baby boy naturally (no C-section).

I am thinking of you. If you want to talk, I can give you my number.

1 person likes this.
  6. hope2b

hope2b Silver IL'ite

Hi redruby, with my dd, I was overdue and my doc suggested me to go watch a movie in a theater. Although it didn't work for me, I was induced and then c, may be it will for others.

1 person likes this.
  7. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rakhii, thanks so much for you nice and caring words, it really helpd me and meant a lot to me to read them. Im happy to hear that your friend had a natural delivery even after she got induced. I was in hospital again today for routine check up and was told that amniotic fluid reduces now slowly even the rest is perfectly fine but they will check on sunday again, if it keeps on reducing they will induce and try to dose it so the pressure wont be too much for symphysis... i will try to do the things you suggested and keep on hoping it will be ok. Thanks a lot again for your cheering words.

@hope2b: I thank you too for your support and suggestion. I never thought to go to movie theater might help, maybe because of the sitting and standing? I was in an italian restaurant today with friends and hope that might have similar affect... lets see. Im sorry to hear it didnt work for you and you had to undergo c-sec, hope everything went fine for you and you are healthy and your child is too. thanks again for suggestion.

1 person likes this.
  8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

RR,
    I had a very successful induction with my first child. 33 weeks with a cervix completely closed. She was IUGR and I had very low fluids(we now know that the method used for checking fluids was not right because I had a lot during delivery). Just relax, take it easy. Don't try anything like castor oil etc. it'll cause you a lot of gastric discomfort. If my memory serves me right, even with the closed cervix, I was put on pitocin at 6 am and my dd was born close to 6 PM. No complications. I did get the epi at 3 cms and it slowed down labor slightly but after 5 cms things progressed at the right pace.
    I was also put on an overnight slow pitocin drip to start the cervical change process.

Hth,
    L

2 people like this.
  9. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister RedRuby,

Sairam, All I could do is kept you in Prayers this morning's Pooja and will continue to keep you in prayers for a safe and easy delivery naturally till I hear from you that your LO is born.

May Baba guide and take care of you, SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  10. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hallo Laks, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences here with me, it really helped and calmed me a bit :)
    Im sorry to hear the the doc didnt checked your fluid properly, may i ask how he did check? Mine was checked yesterday per ultrasound. Doc was meassuring something, put doppler sound to filter off the fluids of body and got some datas, she was doing this on 3 different spots on my tummy to get different meassurements (she checked for the spaces in between). She told me it was a 7 on the scale and i if it drops down below 5 its too less and a dangour for the baby. It seems its gotten a bit less since last check, next one is tomorrow. Was the way they checked it on you similar?
    33 weeks is quite early :( i was very sorry to read this.. how is your child now? I hope you both recoverd from this shock and caught up the developement quickly.
    thanks for reassuring me that castor oil can be a dangor i was already warned to better not try this one. Actually the doctor in hospital told me that intercouse and a glass of champaign would be good to induce naturally, but i told her im not used to alcohol and would get completely drunk, which might be desastrous during labour.... yesterday in restaurant the waitress adviced me same (drink 1 glass of red wine daily) and told after i asked confused that doc told her so!! Im really surprised about these advices. I was polite to her but i WONT try this, i beliefe alcohol causes damage to unborn baby and is really bad for pregnant ladies...(If anyone reading this: please dont try there is new scientific research which proofs even small amount of alcohol can cause life long damage to a child!). But thanks a lot for confirming me that castor oil isnt good too and explaining me why :) that helps
    Other thing doctor suggested was hot food... told her it wont work as im used to it, i still tried to eat as hot as possible last night (literally ate chillies).. nothing happend (blocked nose cleared up a bit).. doctor said its because it causes stomach cramps and looseness which helps getting contractions (not for me).. i told her then i might better try some other food if its about irritating the digestive system (pork and cream sauce?)... i guess im a funny case for the doc, very used to hot food but refusing to take a sip of champaign...

Great to know that it works even with closed cervix! That was one of my biggest concerns, that the cervix wont open but still heavy contractions will start. May i ask if they gave you the pitocin as a pill, gel on cervix or infusion? I was told that the gel is to be avoided and the contraction drops are really bad but doc said its ok. I too was told they will use prostaglandin as a the active component. Pitocin is having oxytocin as active component, i will ask her tomorrow if this hormone isnt better for me then if it has to happen... i still pray and try for it to happen naturally..
    Sorry for long post, thanks again for information and suggestions and sharing your own story :)