What to get from India for newborn care?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Curiousgem19, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Curiousgem19

Curiousgem19 New IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    My parents are coming to the US to help me with my delivery. This baby will be their first grandchild and they will be here for the first few months to help me take care of the baby.
    Is there anything you recommend I ask them to bring from India to help with caring for a newborn? Was there anything from India that you found particularly useful while caring for your newborn?
    Also, did your parents bring anything from India that helped during labor and post-delivery care?
    Thanks!!

2. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

soft cottom clothes for use after delivery... like old soft cotton dhoti...

in our tradition baby is not given new clothes to wear... but used clothes... n pref cotton

i dont think US docs will allow anythin in the delivery room which they are not used to...

my mom made some oil for baby n mother massage at home n used it after v returned from hospital... in hospital they wont allow such things...

3. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

hello CuriousGem19,
    I am pregnant too, and my parents will be coming in April...

Here is the baby shopping list I got from one of my friends.. Hope you find it useful..

India Shopping:

1. For the new born:

a. Front open cotton tops and some pants– make sure you get full sleeve ones too (in winter).
    b. Small footwear
    c. Cotton caps (which can be tied)
    d. soft cotton sarees/towels to wrap the baby after the showers for first few weeks
    e. besan for baby shower time (USA besan is really bad)
    f. kajal (grand ma will not leave the baby without that nazar ka teeka)
    g. Ghee
    h. Rubber sheets. Helps to leave the baby without diapers when they get rash
    i. Steel medicine dispensers. (uggu ginne – optional)
    j. Castor oil for baby’s hair – apparently it helps them stay warm.
    k. Sambrani – Get the ones which are avilable in individual small holders.
    l. Woodwards Gripe water

2. For Mom
    a. Mother Horlicks – Take it from ninth month itself (1Box/1month)
    b. Kasthuri Turmeric – helps get rid of the black spots that come up thru and after pregnancy. (Well, my mom got it but I never used )
    c. Cotton towels.
    d. cotton pajamas for mommy – helps hold the tummy inside. Indian elastic is much stronger than the American pajama elastic
    e. Small toys that make noise when you rattle them (Initially babies sleep so much that we actually have to wake them up to feed them and the rattle toys are great. Three months later, they will be your baby’s best toys – they will hold them and play with them.)
    3. A small stool like the ones we sit on when we do pooja – mom will need this to sit on when she gives bath to the baby in the bathtub
    4. Cotton towels to use as bedsheets in baby crib. They work the best as u can wash them as often as you want.

India shopping - Don’t Buy
    5. Nighties with front zips. They are bad because it takes too long to open the zip when the baby is crying and the zip lines sometimes get too close to baby’s eyes. The tshirts are very convenient as they cover well and easy to feed
    6. Don’t buy Indian sweaters for babys. They have too much lint and are not very elastic
    7. Don’t buy Indian baby beds. Too flimsy and don’t give the support baby’s back needs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Curiousgem19

Curiousgem19 New IL'ite

Thanks Ammani !
    My mom was also thinking of bringing old and soft dhotis/saris.. They can be re-purposed very easily.

5. Curiousgem19

Curiousgem19 New IL'ite

Thanks SimpleGirl !
    Your list is very helpful :) thanks for taking the time to send it out.
    Good luck on your delivery !

6. renualways

renualways Gold IL'ite

Thanks to all Ladies with their immense help for all the to be moms.

Gr8 !!!

Always
    Renu

7. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

if you can ask them to bring some herbal medicines for baby its is good

I am not sure if you are tamil .We have something called ura marundhu which is very good esp the vasambhu iys natural sedative and nowadays yhey have a powder form of it and you make a paste with castor and rub it on baby tummy it relieves gas instantly .Its very handy for me now as my DS2 .

8. Curiousgem19

Curiousgem19 New IL'ite

Hi lochu,
    Thanks for the suggetion.
    I am from Chennai. I can ask my mother to find out more about the vasambhu that you mentioned..

9. ammani

ammani Gold IL'ite

check if u can get ajwain plant... leaves helps during cough n cold... both for baby n mom rather than medicine

ajwain leaf crushed with sugar cubes (hindi misri) is helpful to get relief from congestion... my son had immediate relief from cold n cough... congestion cleared within a day!! i too had help from its consumption!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Curiousgem19

Curiousgem19 New IL'ite

Ammani, I would love to have an ajwain plant at home.. But, I don't think I would be able to find one here in the US. Also, I don't think it is possible to bring plant/fresh produce on international flights :(