Disposable vs Reusable (Cloth)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sdiva20, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

With my first baby due in April, I have been chartering into previously unknown territory of baby strollers, baby wearing, diapers etc:drowning . I read a lot about the pros and cons and I am still trying to figure it all out ( also don’t want to know or think about child birth process at this point so trying to keep myself distracted too :) )

Coming to disposable vs re-usable- I am very much inclined towards cloth as opposed to disposable. Unless travelling or something like that, I really want to minimize disposable diapers. Environmental factors are there but most important is the fact that it is less irritant to a baby’s delicate skin. I found brands that seem to work well- like bum genius, Charlie banana etc.

What are your thoughts? What are most expectant or new others doing/ thinking? Share your ideas.

1 person likes this.

2. saviram26

saviram26 New IL'ite

Am sure you are all excited and looking fwd to hold ur bundle of joy!

I use Bum Genius and its a good choice & use Disposables when we travel. Well to compare, I used around 8-10 cloth nappies and if it were disposables I used around 6-8 per day. Ofcourse LO had very less diaper rash with cloth ones. I watched labor & delivery & birthing methods @ babycenter and found it very helpful during delivery.
    Good luck :)

3. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Yes very excited :) But I have not watched any birthing videos ...I am to scred to think of all that :(
    Thanks for responding and your wishes:)

4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

hi diva,

how did you start collecting/reading up on baby information? did you buy new books or browse sites? if so, can you please share the good ones with us? I am pregnant and I would want to start off too, but am afraid am stumped as to where to start and how.. :)

5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I usually browse internet. I did get some books about pregnancy like "what to expect..." etc but I really did not feel like reading them as I started dreading all discomfort they mention at different weeks. I thought I rather not know.

But about products, internet product reviews and also check with anyone who used it. If I come across anything good, I will post link :)

How far along are you? Do you know what you are having?

6. helpmeangel

hey diva,

No, I just am 10 weeks as of today, so got a long way to go to know if it's a boy or a girl. Do you know about yours and when were they able to tell you? Am really eager to know and already have started thinking of keeping a budget for buying jewels,clothes etc.

please do post good links too, will be useful for us, new comers!!! :)

7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I dont know the sex yey- only because we decided to be surprised :) I am in 6th month and fell like a old hat at this...in fact I feel like I have been pregnant all my life :(. I was also sick as a dog well past 1st trimester.

We are debating names and finalized on a girl's name but have not reached a consensus on a boy name.

You can browse through pregnancy by week especially will give insights on baby's developmeny by week. I thought it was interesting. I just dont want to read about all physical discomfort as i start imagining them

8. helpmeangel

nice diva..it's really great that you guys are holding off on knowing the gender.. I mean, I am curious as a cat..my DH too..we are waiting when we can know it.. :)