Pregnant with fibroid

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by MrsNavaneeth, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am 8 weeks 5 days pregnant. This is my first pregnancy. Accidentally today my doctor found that I have fibroid. She has asked me to come for a scan after two weeks to check whether the fibroid grows along with baby.
    Early when I was TTC, only PCO was detected. Even in my first scan during 6 week this fibroid was not found. Don't know how suddenly it popped up.
    I am very much worried about this.
    What are the causes of fibroid? Is there any nature cure for fibroid during pregnancy? Is there any success story of pregnancy with fibroid?

2. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

I am not aware of natural cures to fibroids, but I do know of 2 success stories with fibroids. Both my friends had fibroids, which was detected even before they had conceived. They both had a succesful delivery with healthy children. All I know is that they were advised bed rest. Please do not worry, and take good rest of yourself and LO.

3. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Tulip. This gives me confidence

4. indiangypsy

indiangypsy Silver IL'ite

Mrs Navaneet, don't worry. I am currently pregnant and have a large fibroid (Over 9 cms) in my uterus. I have had this fibroid for a number of years and it had grown a whole lot during pregnancy. However, please be aware:

1) Fibroids usually dont affect fertility or cause any problems during pregnancy. You can go on to have a completely normal pregnancy and delivery
    2) Sometimes fibroids grow and sometimes they shrink during pregnancy. Sometimes, they also cause pain. Your doc will be monitoring the locations and growth throughout your pregnancy
    3) The cause for fibroids is not known. The theory is that they come due to hormonal imbalances but really no ones knows. Unfortunately, for the same reasons there is no cure either (in terms of Western medicine). Surgically removing is the only option and this is reserved for the most complicated cases. Usually they dont cause any problems (Eg: You never knew till you were pregnant) and most docs adopt the wait and watch strategy and that is the wisest thing to do.
    4) After pregnancy you could try some homeopathy, ayurvedic type remedies to shrink them but during the pregnancy nothing can be done.

Don't worry. Keep a positive attitude and you should get through this with no complications. I have been through this personally, so if you have any questions, do let me know. So far, despite the size of my fibroid, my pregnancy has been uneventful (touch wood). I did not have to do anything like bed rest or anything special because of my fibroid. I have continued to work full time and am very close to my due date now. Hope this reassures you.

1 person likes this.
  5. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

OMG... Indiangypsy.... U may not know how much your words are consoling..... I was completely brooding the whole day why this happens to me... will I bear this kid without any issues......? I kept on googling about it and got tired... I felt as if am sick. Your words and your experience gives me energy . Thanks for that.

Also as you said it seems high level of estrogen and low level of progesterone is found to be the reason of fibroid. I have looked for foods that decrease the estrogen level and food that increase the progesterone. Though this might not be more reliable in shrinking the fibroids very soon we want, this is definitely not dangerous.

Please guide me if you had followed any diet or progesterone supplement during your pregnancy.
    Most importantly, my best wishes for safe and happy delivery. Take care.

6. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

MrsNavaneeth,
    Nothing to be worried.. Though i dint not have fibroid, but i had Adenomyoma, I guess this one is similar to fibroid, mine was inside the uterine wall.. thats what dr told.. I have a healthy 1 Year baby. Touchwood everything was fine through out the pregnancy.. Do as per your Dr's advice.. one advice to you is never search for symptoms or about fibroids during this time, it makes us more tensed, relax, eat healthy and pray well.. Everything will be fine

Wishes and Good Luck to you.. Take care!!!

7. indiangypsy

indiangypsy Silver IL'ite

Mrs Navaneeth - Thank you so much for your wishes! I wish you the best for your pregnancy as well.

I'm glad you felt reassured. Just remember, this is not a sickness. It is just an abnormality. It comes mostly due to our modern living environment where everything is so filled with chemicals. You may have heard that a lot of plastics we use in life are estrogen mimicking compounds and some like us are extra sensitive to all this. I know the urge to do research. I have spent hours on google. Obviously, concerns multiply during pregnancy. For now though, I suggest you don't look at too much on the net. There are many horror stories and it may un-necessarily stress you out. Ask your doc all questions - like size, growth, type (there are different types of fibroids and they affect the uterus differently during pregnancy). You will be fine!

In terms of what to do - I try to eat organic food as much as possible (no fertilizers). I stopped using plastic lunch box and started using glass lunch box. I limit eating soy, soy sauce etc (soy is very loaded in estrogen) There is no need to take progesterone supplements unless your doc needs you to for some other reason. Progesterone levels climb a lot naturally during pregnancy. Lastly, like I said, it is very important to maintain a positive attitude. Easier said that done and even I used to get depressed after my scans. Keep telling yourself and allow your near and dear ones remind you that everything is ok and you and the baby will be fine. Take care!

8. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

My cousin had a healthy baby last month with fibroid. I am not sure of the size but I can imagine how stressful it will be. Wishes and Prayers.

9. KalpanaJay

KalpanaJay Junior IL'ite

Do not worry about fibroids. I don't think that is a problem. You need high progestrone during pregnancy to have a healthy pregnancy. So do not try to decrease that level. SOY products is supposed to increase the estrogen level. I think increase in estrogen causes the fibroid to grow. Please check with your doctor

10. MrsNavaneeth

MrsNavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Thanks all for the support and soothing words.