How much wieght did you gain during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Simplicity11, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Simplicity11

Simplicity11 Silver IL'ite

So I am 26.2 weeks pregnant as on today and I have gained 9 kgs already. My BMI was normal before I concieved.. My doc was very strict in telling that you have gained way too much and you must control.
    I'm very cautious of what I eat and can really tell that I haven't been over eating or indulging, yet the weight gain. My GTT came normal but I can't seem to get over the weight gain. This is having an impact on how much I'm eating now.
    Can you guys share how much did you gain in your entire pregnancy? And how much is the average weight gain in the third trimester? I don't want to cross 15kgs but my doctor has really scared me saying I will gain 20 if I go on like this.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.
    Many thanks!!

2. indiangypsy

indiangypsy Silver IL'ite

Simplicity, I'm not sure why your doc is so worried about your weight gain. Now 'normal' BMI pre-pregancy is still a wide range. Were you at the upper or lower end of normal?

I, for instance was borderline underweight/just about normal pre-pregnancy. I gained weight rapidly throughout my 1st and 2nd trim. I gained this despite eating healthy and not over-indulging. I just magically packed on the pounds!. No one at my birth center has been concerned. In fact right at the beginning they had told me I might put on upto 40 lbs and I'm on track for that (So far I have put on 35lbs at 34 weeks). My weight gain has slowed down in the last month or so and you might experience that too. I think your weight gain is perfectly normal. If you have cleared your GTT and are eating healthy, there is nothing to be worried about, in my opinion!

PS: At my 33 weeks Ultrasound, baby's weight was fine. Not too high and just a tad on the lower side. Hope this reassures you. Ask your doc what his/her specific concerns are about your weight gain.

3. Simplicity11

Thank you indiangypsy for your response. My BMI was 22.9 and the normal weight range for me was 18.5-24.9. So more inclined towards the higher side. The major cause of worry for me has been that I gained 4 kgs in one month (5th month that is). I was worried whether this can be a sign of gestational diabeties, but that was ruled out in the GTT. Good part is that from my last visit (gap of 24 days) my weight gain has been stable. That is I haven't gained more this month.
    But I'm really worried as the doc said that you have indeed put on too much. According to her a pregnant woman is only allowed to gain between 9-12 kgs. I hear people gain more in the third trimester. This thought in my mind is really making me starve at times. I know its not good, but what do I do?
    I've figured few things that I need to cut.. I've also started with brisk walks again..
    Hopefully I'll be on right track.
    You made me feel a bit better by sharing that I'm not alone in this. However you weighed just normal before pregnancy unlike me :)

4. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Dear simplicity - Weight gain during pregnancy differs from one person to another. I was 100 Pounds before pregnancy and I gained 28 pounds..etc close to 12/13 kgs and my doc never said anything about going to gain more weight. My friend gained 40 pounds for her doctor told her to watch when she is eating never told her to be only in this range.

I am not sure may be she is worried about other factors like Gestational Diabetes or gaining more weight can causes you Back ache...etc

5. Simplicity11

Hi Veeramachaneni,
    Thank you for your response. You are right about the weight gain that differs from person to person. Everyone in my family has gained quite a bit whereas I do know women who gained 10 kgs..
    Do you remember how much did you gain by end of 6 months? Is it possible that if I be really cautious, I can just gain say 6 kgs in the last trimester and stay in the range of gaining 15 kgs max. (I'm being optimistic for now :) ) I'm soon moving back to India and will have a new doc. Waiting to see her reaction on my weight gain!

6. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I don't remember exactly how much I gained on my 6th month :( But there is no need to worry too much about it IMO . but check with doctor one more time if she wants you to be really careful then ask her what is the reason behind not going over 12 kgs. (I don't think that is even possible for 80% of women)

1 person likes this.
  7. indiangypsy

indiangypsy Silver IL'ite

Just saying a pregnant woman is 'supposed' to only gain this much feels too controlling to me. I can see why your doc was concerned about rapid weight gain but if you are steadily packing it on - not much you can do! Why obsess? Believe me I went through these panic moments but finally let go when I cleared the GTT. Every pregnancy is different. In my case my weight gain has been least in the 3rd trim.

Rapid weigth gain can point towards pre-eclampsia - which is not good. But other symptoms are swelling and high BP. Just weight gain alone is not worrisome. Do NOT starve. If you're hungry, it is your body's signal that you need to put something in. I hope you get a more flexible doc about your weight issue in India. Just take care of your food intake - i.e. low fat, low sugars, low processed foods.

1 person likes this.
  8. Simplicity11

Thank you both of you for your advice and kind words. Really appreciate it!