Scans during pregnancy - important query

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by dhivya rangarajan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I am 12 weeks pregnant. My Last date of period was 17th July.

This is my second pregnancy. During my first pregnancy, i remember that the first scan was taken during the 3rd month. Is it the NT (Down's Syndrome) Scan?

I am in UK for a short while. My visa and travel insurance does not cover scans and blood tests. So if i do a scan here, it is exorbitantly pricey :spin.

I will be back in India by Nov 10th. I will be 16 weeks pregnant. Is it ok to do the first scan of baby during the 4th month. I dont know any doctor here or anyone i can call and ask.. even just for a consultation, the charges are too much..

So, please tell me if shd go ahead and do my 3rd month scan now.. or wait till i am back in india and do the scan at 4 months?

I am really worried here.. please help..

thanks!

2. snand003

snand003 New IL'ite

I skipped NT scanning during both pregnancies. I directly did the 5th month scanning. its optional here....nt must be done between 11 and 14 weeks though

3. dhivya rangarajan

Thank you snand003,
    So, NT scan has to be done between 11 and 14 weeks.
    You avoided the scan and did directly in the 5th month right? Just clarifying.. ok..

thanks again for ur prompt reply.. :) I think i might do that too. I will be 4 months and some pregnant by november and in india.. :)

4. snand003

snand003 New IL'ite

Yes :)
    Good luck with your pregnancy

5. indiangypsy

indiangypsy Silver IL'ite

Dhivya, it is not the scans that are as important as getting prompt prenatal care. The blood tests and listening to the baby's heart beat are all imporatant guiding factors towards establishing a healthy pregnancy. I refused the NT scan too. Early in pregnancy (usually around 9-10 weeks) a dating ultrasound is offerred. This is again optional but I did that one.

The only scan most people are encouraged to get is the 20 week anatomical scan by which time you will be in India. As long as your pregnancy is proceeding normally, you should be fine. Do arrange quickly for prenatal care once you land in India. Especially, don't worry and stress. Best of luck!

PS: Hope you are taking a good prenatal vitamin. That should be available over the counter.

6. dhivya rangarajan

Thank you snand003!!

Thank you, indiangypsy for you response.. So i will be in India for the anatomical scan and I will surely arrange for prenatal care as soon as possible.. I havent heard the heart beat, so I am really hoping everything is alright with my baby..
    And thank you for input abt prenatal vitamins.. I am not taking any, but, I will start today itself :) thank you!!

7. free2victory

free2victory New IL'ite

Good Luck with your pregnancy

8. dhivya rangarajan