pcod and gestational diabetics :pls guide

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by optimism, Aug 11, 2012.

1. optimism

optimism Junior IL'ite

Dear Ils

I have been just diagnosed with type2 diabetics. I have PCOD too. My doctor told me that i have got Gestational diabetics..may b the reason is Pcod bcoz pcod patients hav more chances to get GD. I am really scared..In blood test of 100 gms of sugar, range came 84 in fasting, 190 after 1 hr, 139 after 2 hr and 120 after 3 hr (i failed in 1 hr test. fasting, 2hr and 3 hr is fine). Pls let me know...is it very high. I will follow all the diet plans and walk etc..but i want to know future risks i.e for next 2-3 months of pregnancy and post pregnancy after age of 40-50 yrs.

Is there someone on ILs who has pcod as well as GD. I have little high thyroid.pls pls help

2. Oceanus

Oceanus New IL'ite

Hi Optimism,

Its like reading my own medical record. I have Hypothyroid and PCOS, and recently diagnosed with GD. Failed 1 hour test, where 7.8 is normal, I got 8.1. I too first argued with myself that its not high value. But the thing is, even a slightly elevated value should be cautiously treated in pregnancy. Out of pregnancy we dont have to do anything with it, but now we have to be cautious. The test result is an indication that when baby grows bigger it will be even harder to control sugar. Follow the diet plan given by the dietician, and monitor the sugar level. Its only for few months and its just for our baby. There is nothing to be worried. Many women get high blood pressure, hypertension, hemorrhoid etc during pregnancy, and we got GD. So accept it, and give your best. Good Luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. GayatriKarthik

GayatriKarthik New IL'ite

I too had PCOD but my doctor haven't asked to check for GD. But I have also been taken for insulin level tests during my PCOD treatment and had always been in normal category. In which week GD test is usually undertaken? I am currently in my 24th week.

4. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Gayatri,

My GTT was done probably around 4th month. Ask your gynaec if you need to go for GTT to determine your gd.

Kylie

5. Oceanus

Oceanus New IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,

They usually do GTT from 24th to 28th week. For some woman, they will do another test after 30 weeks too. Starting from 24th week baby will start getting sugar from amnio fluid, so they do the test starting from that week. I had mine on 26th week.

6. malathia

malathia Silver IL'ite

Dear Optimism,

I also had GD and it was realised in very early stage ...In my 3rd month it was tested and found high..

By 24th week i was prescribed to take Insulin...

I used to crib for such things happening and later realised the reason for diet and insulin was to make sure the baby is healthy and not over weighed....

Immediately after delivery sugar levels got reduced :)

I really thank my doctors !

Who is your doctor ?

Take care,

7. optimism

optimism Junior IL'ite

Thanks all

Hi Malathia

i am consulting Dr Praveena Shenoy in cloud 9 hospital. Pls share if you have any ideas abt her.My friend is consulting Dr Hemanandini from Manipal hospital.Pls let me know if u hav ideas abt her too.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. GayatriKarthik

GayatriKarthik New IL'ite

Thanks. I will ask my doctor today about GD test.

9. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi I also have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. i was on metformin before conceiving and continuing till now(24 weeks). My ob and RE had asked to me continue it throughout pregnancy but yesterdays appt, my new ob asked to stop it.
    I have Insulin Resistance. i am worried to stop it. I also have my GTT in 2 weeks. Do you have any suggestions? Any of you taking metformin in pregnancy? If I stop metformin, will it lead to GD??

Also what are your thyroid levels? What level we need to maintain in pregnacy? Mine keeps fluctuating..

10. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

hi swiss

i have no idea abt metformin. Regarding thyroid level, it should be below 2.5