Gestational Diabetes in 8th Week

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by daringcaring, Aug 5, 2012.

1. daringcaring

daringcaring New IL'ite

Hi All,

I had my first appt,scan and blood tests when I was 8 weeks preg.2 days later doctor asked me to come for a 3 hour GTT.The fasting result was high :shock: The reading was 98.It is suppose to be less than 92.the other readings were fine and well within limit.

I am still waiting for the doctor to tell me the next step of action.Terribly worried.

Most of the threads for GD talk abt 2nd or 3rd trimester.Has anyone been detected with GD in first trimester.Would I have to take insulin for the result I got for Fasting.

Please share your experience.

2. papoosh

papoosh Bronze IL'ite

Hey DaringCaring,

I am in week 33 of my first pregnancy and if it is any consolation to you..I was diagnosed with GD in week 6. Also..my sugar levels were very very high..at 200+..so after a week of trying to get it under control with diet and exercise..with no results, I was put on insulin from week 8. I started with 10 units broken into 2 doses a day..and am now at 48 units broken into 2 doses a day..so yes...sugar control with or without insulin no matter what you do becomes progressively difficult as your pregnancy progresses becoming most difficult in the end of the third trimester.

Coming to my pregnancy *touchwood*...the baby has grown just fine and my health has not been bad either.
    With your results, I doubt you would need insulin as of now. Typically doctors would suggest strict diet and exercise and only if that doesn't work, then insulin.

In my case, I consider myself lucky that I was on insulin. The daily injections hardly hurt at all...and I have not had to compromise on food except for my sugar intake. yes, exercise is important and I exercised everyday of my pregnancy, however, when it came to food, my doctors were very clear...you cannot compromise on nutrition to the baby..so as long as I was avoiding sugars, I had freedom to eat whatever I wanted including rice.

Keep in mind that you need to be well informed...so monitor your sugar levels regularly, be practical about what you can and cannot eat, monitor your weight..and stay happy..stressing is going to harm the baby more than anything else.

Wish you all the best :)

1 person likes this.
  3. drmsg

drmsg New IL'ite

It is fortunate that your doctor discovered the Gestational Diabetes early so that you can get treated right away. This will increase your odds of a healthy baby. It is likely that you really had diabetes before you got pregnant and they just discovered it now. It will be important to test again 6 weeks or so after you deliver to make sure the diabetes goes away.

Treatment will be diet, exercise, and blood sugar monitoring. If the blood sugars are not controlled then either a pill or insulin will be added.
    Here is a lot of helpful information about gestational diabetes.