Folic acid from everyday foods

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by tanoshii, Mar 26, 2012.

1. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Hope all of you are doing well and so are your little beans.

Food is a very important part of life and especially during pregnancy.

I was diagnosed with very low levels of Folic acid and B12, also causing low iron. These three are interconnected and decrease of any one of these, causes the absorption of the other more difficult. Most vegetarians happen to have this problem and have to take supplements. But its not the same as when consumed in moderate quantities every day, right?

I read this article on BabyZone about the list of food that are rish in Iron, Folic, Proteins, Fibres, Omega 3 etc etc. What to take and what NOT to. There is more than I could list here. There are vegetarian options listed for all of them and it was all just stuff you get in shops everywhere. And with this its actually easier to plan my weekly diet. I hope it helps you guys too.

Here is the link for it:
    Pregnancy Diet and Food

In case you can't track the link, try this. Google Babyzone. Once into the website:
    Go to Being Pregnant > All about you > Food & Diet.

Have a wonderful day ladies. :thumbsup
    Loads of baby dust to you!!

1 person likes this.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I hope you are not going to try to treat low iron levels during pregnancy by diet alone. Yes, diet is important but even nonvegetarians can have a lot of difficulty during pregnancy as you are eating for two...that baby is sapping everything. There is some suspicion that low iron can be connected to cleft palate and hare lip.....surely that alone should spur the happy eating of iron supplement pills. Best to take them with meals if they bother your stomach.

3. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

No dear. I am obviously not suggesting food as the only way to gain Iron. I'm trying to say while we need the extra supplements, there is nothing like replenishing the reserves from everyday food. Right?

4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the link Tanoshi..keep follow this diet and be healthy....

1 person likes this.
  5. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Thanks Tanoshii!! Definitely very helpful..

1 person likes this.