Need suggestions on travel at 34 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by emma83, Jan 4, 2012.

1. emma83

emma83 New IL'ite

Hi all,

By next week I will be at the end of 34 weeks of pregnancy. I am planning to travel alone by flight to my hometown. (1 hour by air + 1 hour break in between + 1 hour by air + 3 hours by taxi to reach my place). Same time I am very worried if something may go wrong in between, like my water breaking and me going into labor.

I also have a choice of staying back and having the baby at Hyderabad. But me and my husband will be the only people here who will be managing everything if I don't go to my hometown (due to previous issues in marriage we both are not interested in meeting either sides of the family). In that case is it easy to get a nurse/maid for at least a month to help with everything? I am very confused as to travel or not. Please help with your suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

When i travelled by air during my 5th month of pregnancy, my doctor gave me a travel certificate stating that I was fit to travel until 34 weeks of gestation.

So i guess after 34 weeks you need to be careful. Better to get the green light with your doctor before you travel.

3. emma83

emma83 New IL'ite

Hi Chandrika82,

Thanks for your response. I discussed the same with my obgyn and shez ready to give me the certificate to travel as soon as I decide on my dates. She has not suggested any tests to confirm my fitness to travel which is making me nervous. Did you take any specific tests before your doctor's approval for travel?

4. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

hi emma,
    Don't worry, The doctor will scan and check the condition of your health and the baby and she will issue a fitness certificate. No specific test will be done. Drink plenty of water when you travel which will help you to avoid dehydration.
    Be bold and leave the rest to God.
    Go ahead.
    Vidyavisu.

5. Binz85

Binz85 Silver IL'ite

dear emma83

If you are planning to go to hometown for delivery by air please dont delay your travel.Try to travel as soon as possible..Most of the airlines dont allow pregnant ladies after 36 weeks..So if you already got green signal from doctor go this week itself..If its possible keep away all your issues for sometime with your parents..You might get maid/nurse for you..But think like this is the exact time to forgive/forget the issues (whoever the culprit) for the benefit of your kid..Decide what is best for you!

Take Care!!

6. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Emma, there were no specific tests conducted for issuing fitness certificate alone. By this time, the doctor will have an idea of whether you have GD, prone to preeclampsia, have any placenta previa etc. These are the factors doctors generally take into consideration while giving you the green / red light to travel.

I am assuming you are having a healthy pregnancy so far, which is great news ! As advised above, try to fly earlier rather than later. Good luck !