Labor Pain Management Without Epidural?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by aswini, Jul 1, 2011.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am due in 4 weeks and I am considering natural birth without any medications. I went for childbirth classes(The bradley method) and am hoping to use relaxation techniques that I learnt as much as possible. But I still have some fear at the back of my mind if managing labor pain would be possible without epidural.

A little background about me:

I have gestational diabetes but I have it under control with diet. My baby's measurements so far have been in the average range - meaning she is not big that would warrant an induction or C-section. So, if I am able to control my diabetes for the next four weeks , I am going to ask my doctor to delay induction. Hoping that my doc would not induce me if the baby is doing ok.

Has anyone tried a natural birth without medications? What helped and what did not? Need some encouraging positive experiences to keep myself motivated. Any tips would be really helpful too.

Thanks!

2. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi!aswini,

I did have one without epidural. I went to the hospital after my water broke as a couple of hours before when I went I wasn't dilated. It was quite painful so I was considering epidural but they had to hydrate me with Intravenous fluids before they could give me epidural. by the time I was hydrated though I was completely dilated so there was no possibility of epidural. My labour was fast, started labour pains mild around 11 pm at night , got stronger by 2 or 3 am, water broke at 6.30 am. then delivery at 10.15 am. I was working till one month before delivery and delivered 10 days ahead of time(first and only delivery so far for me). i had to walk a lot during my work. think that helped me have an easy delivery except that I had a perineal tear which may have been avoided if they gave me an episiotomy.(knew about it because I was trained as a doctor back in India). Do walk a lot(not to tire yourself) this will help. Wishing you have a safe and easy delivery. If baby size is small it should be easy. Good luck

Bhagawathy

3. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thanks for sharing your experience, Bhagawathy.
    I am walking for 30 mins a day. Will try to increase it. Thanks for the tip!

4. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Your welcome. When the labour pains set in they ask you to walk or take a shower or doctors here adviced tylenol pm( but take it only after consulting your doctor). My mother got an ayurvedic oil from India also which can be applied to the back for easy delivery.

Take care and wishing you a safe confinement.

Bhagawathy

5. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

good info bhagawathy.Iam currently 31 weeks and I walk for 20 mins in a day,sometimes I walk for an hour.When do we need to start walking,I mean how many weeks and how many mins do we need to walk?

Thanks in advance.

6. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi!Chotumeetu
    do some walking(may be half hour to one hour) everyday through out the pregnancy unless you have been asked to take bed rest. May after about 32-34 weeks you can walk about an hour or so or half hour walks. Don't walk to tire yourself. anytime after 36 weeks you can deliver. it also depends on your energy levels. If your doing house work at home which requires some walking that is good. I did go for a couple of Massage sessions because I had a back problem about a month before delivery. It was very relaxing.

Good luck with your delivery.

Bhagawathy

7. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Thanks Bhagawathy again.I started to walk after 24 weeks.I got pregnant after a long struggle.hence I did not want to take any risk.So I have started walking after 24 weeks.Iam active inside the house.I dont cook.But I do everything apart from cooking.

8. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I think you should consider looking for a doula in your area. With GD, the docs are most inclined to go with c-section whether you like it or not. Having a doula at your side (the indian dai-ma who attends to deliveries and provides moral support) will definitely help you have a natural birth without medications.

If you do end up going for an epidural, wait till you are atleast 5 cms dilated before taking it. Before that, it slows down your labor and increases chances of c-section.

also with GD, most infants are born with low blood sugar and will need to be in the ICU for a day or 2. If that happens to you, make sure you let EVERYONE (docs, nurses) know that you want the baby to be held next to you for skin to skin contact and latching before they take him/her away. delaying skin to skin contact or latching reduces the chances of latching later on.

9. Bhagawathy

Bhagawathy Bronze IL'ite

Hi!

Happysoul is right about latching, Even in Medical school we were taught and used to encourage the mothers to bond with baby within the first hour of delivery as it is important. Regarding delivery options for Gestational diabetes depends on many parameters - baby size, mother's health and duration of labour. It could vary from doctor to doctor. You can start discussing delivery options with your doctor as your close to delivery. Provide your doctor with a birth plan that way the doctor knows what you want and you don't have to tell them what you need when you are in labour.

GOod luck, hope all goes well with you.

Bhagawathy

10. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the replies, Happysoul and Bhagawathy. Yes, I do have a doula. My doctor is natural birth friendly to some extent. He is kind of too cautious. He is ok with letting me go over 40 weeks if my diabetes is well controlled with diet and the baby is not too big. I am trying to avoid induction and epidural as they increase the C-section chances.

Can someone explain why baby will have low blood sugar? My understanding is that if mother's blood sugar are high, then the baby will produce more insulin and that might cause low blood sugar. Will this happen even if the mother's sugar levels are controlled during labor?

Thanks,
    Aswini