Educate me on HypnoBirthing

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Rakhii, May 28, 2011.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ladies, I have always had fear of pain and birthing. As ecstatic as I am with pregnancy, I always have this fear in the back of my mind about the pain involved with birthing.

Now, I have been reading a little bit about hypnobirthing and was wondering is anyone in our IL have tried this or thinking about trying this.

I have booked my prenatal yoga sessions which start on 17th June, once a week. Now, I am not sure how much support I would be getting from my yoga instructor who also ha[[ens to be a doula.

Please tell me more about hypnobirthing if you are aware of this. Thank you all!

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hi Rakhii,

Congrats on your pregnancy !!

I learnt about this as well, but did not implement (The pain was so unbearable, I did not care about following any of the breathing techniques and even when my poor hubby reminded me of it, I wanted to kill him then :p and just wanted him to go and get me an epidural shot ;-)

Having all said that, it did help. How, as you might have known by now, there are different stages of labor. The relaxation skills and breathing techniques did help me initially I was able to come down without epidural till I was 8CM dilated. :hide: Let me tell you, I am just an pain-intolerance person, BTW. Everyone was shocked I came this far :p :p

There are techniques during the pushing phase, which supposedly will help you through without pain and tear. Well, I wasn't patient till then :p :p :p

But let me tell you something, just don't think about all that now. When it happens it will and you will handle it somehow. Remember there is some reason we women give birth and not men ;) Always listen to your body. And keep in mind that within few hours you are going to carry your precious little one.

Join the prenatal yoga. I loved it. Also, it got me many Jan mommy friends ;-) ;-)

3. Rakhii

Thank you so much Nandshyam. Actually since my first yoga lesson stars on 16th June, I was also meaning to ask my instructor and other ladies what they think about hypnobirthing. I am also like you, pain-intolerant. So, I need to learn to tolerate it at least until 5 cm.

My DH is saying that we should go for elective C-section, knowing about how I handle a small cut. But I strongly believe that my body is made to take this labor pain. It seems unfair that I dont give myself a chance to experience natural child birth.

Can you please help me know what are the stages of labor? maybe then I will be able to relate to what exactly i am up for. I am googling too, but first hand information is far more advisable than any theory. Thanks!

4. Nandshyam

Yeah, give yourself a chance to do it naturally.. as long as your doc is OK with it, you should go for it. I actually wanted to experience labor so was stubborn and so when my daughter for over due, I had my doctor induce me first so I can try naturally. Sanaa was not angled in the right way and thus I had to go to surgery. I love my doc since she supported me all along and made me comfortable, but at the same time making sure we both are fine and not at risk.

Do you have childbirth classes at the hospital? where they also give a tour? if there is one, please do join. Me and my husband went for it and loved it. They will also teach lamaze on the same class. And also its an overview of pregnancy, birth and baby care. I will write down here what I remember from the class, hope it helps :)

There are 3 stages of labor.

Stage 1 is the early and active labor and the longest part of your delivery ;-) Depending upon the woman it may last from few hours to even 20 hours. During this time, the cervix starts to dilate by effacing, meaning thinning. It would start from few cms (When u are in ur 9th month, your gynec would start doing internal exams to see if it has started dilating. My prenatal yoga mom was 3CM dilated for a week ;) So you can imagine long it may take.
    But it becomes active when you have contractions that are regular and getting stronger and stronger as time goes on. So when u are 5cm, you would want to strangle your husband for making you go through this ;) if you know what I mean. LOL. Usually this stage1 will be longer if this is your first baby. You are in stage1 till ur cervix is 10CM dilated.

So when u are completely 10 cm dilated, Yaay !! you are ready for the pushing phase. Naturally when your cervix is completely opened, you will have the urge to push your baby out. Usually this can last upto 3 hours. Nurses, the prenatal yoga breathing, all will help you to push the right way. To be successful in this birth, when u move from stage1 to stage2, your baby's head should be locked in ur pelvis, if not usually it means a csection. since for every push the baby can move back in.

If the baby is kinda out and if its possible then after a few pushes, doc would help by using vaccum to pull the baby out. Or use forceps. Or the very famous tear to allow the head to come through (The last part was the one that scared me most. I could live with a csection with a tear in my bikini line, but not over there).

Anyways, now your little one is out in this world and there u go momma, enjoy your precious first few minutes with your baby :) Coz Stage3 is coming along. It's a shortest usually 10-15 minutes where the placenta will be delivered.

So rakhii, this is how it goes :)

You know you are in labor if you have regular contractions or your water broke or u have bloody show.

Talk to ur gynec and get all the info you want. I am an info freak and I used to sit for an hour with my gynec to get all my questions answered. She was a patient lady and answered all those first time jitters.

Good luck !! and enjoy your pregnancy :)

5. Rakhii

Thanks Nandhu! This is very useful.

The other day I was reading this "Chicken Soup for Expectant Mom's Soul" and there, one of the mom's told that she had no idea she was in labor until she is 8 cm along. I found it quite surprising because i know from stories that labor pains hurt...like hell:spin. How could she have missed it! The same night I had a nightmare that I slept through my labor and when I woke up I had this intense urge to push and I didn't even have time to dial 911. I woke up with a start...Is it even possible that one miss that they are in labor and sleep through? No right?

Yes, there are birthing classes and hospital tours available here. I am sure planning on making use of them. But they dont give any of them until I finish 8 months. This will put me at risk because what if mine is a pre-term (which runs in my family).

6. Nandshyam

Rakhii,

yeah, I read that book as well. My colleague just went for a normal checkup during her 9th month and she was 8CM dilated, doc asked her to go straight to the hospital and within 3 hours she was done with it. And there are cases who were in labor for days :p :p. I read in Preethi's birth-story she was in labor for 36 hours, just imagine what she might have gone through.

All I can say is, every pregnancy is different. So you never know what's in store for you :) Just enjoy the pregnancy.

But during active labor you will have the pain, so you won't miss it at all !!!.

Don't worry about hereditary. My neighbor is carrying twins and is in her 9th month. Entire pregnancy she was so scared that it would be a premie as it was the case in her mom's side (Premie twins). Starting this week, its good news because, both the babies have crossed 5 pounds and she is in her 34th week, which officially means - No premie birth for her babies.

As I said before, Enjoy your pregnancy and have all those little talks with your baby. When time comes you can worry about how to handle delivery :) :)

Good luck !!

7. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Nandhu and Rakhi,

You people made it easier for me.Lots of info.Thanks Nandhu.I liked the strangling Husband part.:biglaughI want to do it whenever I face this groin pain while swapping positions at nights:crazy

8. bibibaby

bibibaby New IL'ite

hypnobirthing is just fab and there's even an online course with video tutorials + mp3s + free download. Worth having a look at this .... hypnobirthingdownloads.com. I teach hypnobirthing so happy to answer any questions you have. It's fab for partners too as they get to support you and really be part of your birth. The skills are great for life generally so definitely go for it, it'll make your birth more positive in every way:)

9. prerak

prerak Guest

HypnoBirthing: What is it???

Mention Labor and Delivery to an expectant mom in her last trimester, and chances are good that her heart will begin to race, her mind floods with concern and in some cases, panic. She knows that the day is coming when a force much bigger than herself will take over and her body will govern itself completely. For some women, this is a very fearful event, but for hypnomoms, it is merely a challenge.

These wise women use hypnosis to eliminate pain and fear from the birthing experience. In the past, the word “hypnosis” conjured up images of stage hypnotists re-creating Elvis, or mesmerizing others into embarrassing situations. Now it is common for hypnosis to be used therapeutically in many areas of medicine, dental anesthesia and personal therapy sessions. Even so, there are many misconceptions regarding hypnosis that can dissuade those contemplating this powerful tool. Here are a few FACTS: (see our page on hypnosis for more information)

All hypnosis is self-hypnosis; the hypnotherapist is only the guide. A person chooses to enter into a hypnotic state, stay in and come out at will.
    Approximately 90-95% of the population can be hypnotized. Willingness, belief and motivation have great influence over hypnotizability.
    During hypnosis you are neither asleep nor unconscious, and will always “come out” when you wish.
    Stronger-minded and stronger-willed people are easier to hypnotize; not the other way around as is usually assumed.
    You cannot be made to divulge information or do anything against your will while in hypnosis.
    Hypnosis is not Satanic or religion-oriented at all, just a way to direct your inner mind toward the positive.