First trimester pregnant and bleeding at 9 1/2 weeks. help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by an123, Dec 1, 2010.

1. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I really like to know of anybody you have had bleeding in first trimester and then followed to have healthy babies? My doctor has asked me to do a blood test to see today and day after tomorrow to see whether the growth is normal. Until then he asked me to relax and rest. I am panicking and would like to know how your cases turned out. It would give me some hope to hear some positive stories! Please share!:drowning

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

an123,

First relax. the more you panic , the more it will affect the baby.

I had some brown spotting in my 8weeks. but it was not bleeding like periods.
    Dont worry. Do the blood test and be confident.

Think positive and listen to Songs to divert your mind.

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Actually panicking will not affect the baby. I panicked, I sobbed and raved and ranted when I bled at 71/2 weeks. It was not brown spotting but heavy like periods. I could not sleep or eat. They did a couple of ultrasounds to make sure - it ended up being an uterine bleed near the placenta but not involving the placenta. Baby was fine.
    My ObGyn said it happens to 40% of pregnant women - no one knows why. It goes away on its own. The bleeding stopped after a week - my doc had predicted correctly that it would after seeing the size of the bleed from the ultrasound picture.

My baby was born fine. 20 months now.

I am not saying that thats exactly what it must be for you but there is a good chance that it is. I know it is not really possible to relax but try not to over exert yourself. Nothing anyone says will make you truly feel better until the doctor says that everything is fine. Do what you need to do to stay sane until you meet with the doctor. If crying helps, cry. If praying helps, pray. If watching TV and forgetting everything helps, do that. There is no must do or must not do here. You know what I did? I hid under the bed. No. I am not kidding. Hiding under the bed sort of helped me not have to face reality, not have to respond to questions from family. DH banned everyone from our bedroom and he sat quietly next to me as I lay under the bed, counting down the minutes until the docs appointment. So... DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. Ok?
    Fill us in after the appt. Sending you positive thoughts and energy.

4. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Thank You so much for your positive energy Ranchu and DNM. It really helps to know that things are not always negative. Will keep you guys updated when I get the results. It is really comforting to hear from souls like you when you are in a foreign country alone with no relatives nearby.

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

I had bleeding at 6 weeks.But my scan showed heart beat,i was put up on steroid injection & duphastone tablets & again called for check up at 8 weeks.I was also on bed rest.
    Now my baby is 6 months old.so dont worry & all the best.

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Words of wisdom ! :thumbsup She is soooo right, OP.

I had spotting when I was 8 weeks. Was scared to the core, obviously. I panicked and I was yet to visit the Gynec. I rushed to emergency and the scan revealed that it was intra uterine bleeding. It was very minute. I wasnt advised bed rest even.. But, I just stayed on the bed the whole of next day. Funnily, I didnt spot after the first time, still, I didnt move the next day. I just did what kept me smiling - Watching movies and talking on conference to my close friends back in India.

Probably I panicked soo much that my uterus dare bled the next minute ! :crazy..

Just relax and do not exert stress that you cannot handle. Just do what keeps your mind occupied and keep your faith going. Take care of your health.

7. an123

an123 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All

Thank you all for your support.

I had a brown discharge last Monday, followed by heavy spotting on Tuesday I called my OB who said I have to go to emergency and not come to him. When I went to the doctor ( emergency clinic) . He told me it happens sometimes ( a very vague answer) and asked me to go for a blood test and another one 2 days later. Although I felt this was a wait and see approach and felt there must more he can do, I wasnt sure what other options there was. So I did as he said. He also told me if it is a miscarriage there is nothing that he can do and to come back only if there is a heavy bleeding and cramps. Came back home on Tuesday and the bleeding started coming heavily in early Wednesday morning and had severe cramps and 2 big blood clots were expelled in the toilet. At that moment i knew it was over. Rushed to the emergency hospital to wait for 8 hours just to be told I most probably had a miscarriage at home. They only then did a ultrasound test and said they dont need to do a D&C. But it looks like I have cysts in both my ovaries and to do a follow up checkup with by OB. Although this is not a cause it needs attention.

Honestly I have been going through my head the last few days what I could have done wrong. Also I really feel scared to go through another pregnancy in this place and prefer to go back to India. From what I hear from all of you, you had better personal care from your Ob who took responsibility over your pregnancy. I see that lacking here which causes things to slip inbetween the cracks. I really feel that if I was constantly monitored by my Ob and not by different emergency clinic doctors, there may have been a better chance to detect any issues earlier and ensure the best care is taken.

The medical system : For a person like me who is new here, we first need a family physician who would then refer us to a OB. It takes almost 6 months before you can get a family physician here. So I had none when I found out I was pregnant. So when I was pregnant , I went to the walk in clinic, who sent me for my blood works at 5 weeks pregnant. After which I was asked to call the local hospital who will fix me an OB. When I called them, they said come at 12 weeks for the remainder tests and scan and to see the OB. In the middle at 9 1/2 weeks when I had the above incident, No OB has really seen me or tested me.

The reason why i am writing this is for it to imbibe in my head no to repeat this and to ensure if I am not confident of the medical care system to have my pregnancy in a place where the medical care system may not be free but is good and with relatives around. It is also a lesson for anyone else out there who are in a similar condition as mine to get more educated on what doctors do when such incidents happen and not to just accept the doctor's way of doing things.

Currently I will go to the OB for a checkup for my cysts, but I am going to do a second opinion when I go back to india soon. I have never had problems with the cysts and did get pregnant in the third month of trying. So I am just wondering whether it was in an aggravated state due to my pregnancy. If any of you had cysts in ovaries during your pregnancy or after, please share your experience and what did you do to cure it.

Hope my next time round, I am lucky.

8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

An123,

Very sorry to hear this !
    Dont worry , this is not the end.. This is a new beginning. Find an Ob/Gyn you are comfortable with and get treated.

IL is there for you as friends , Hope our support will give you all the positive thoughts..

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI An,
    Sorry about the bad experience.... Relax. Just take care of yourself at this time!
    My wishes & prayers to recover soon!

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

An123,

Very sorry you had to go through this. But, trust me, when things would happen, especially as such, tere is no point in blaming you. Even if you had started with your Ob visits, she / he couldnt've really stopped this from happening.. I wouldnt call this fate, it simply means ' not yet '. It is not easy at all, I know. But, had it been an healthy pregnancy, you wouldnt've lost it, isnt ? Probably, it wasnt supposed to be and for all you know, it could've been just an improper fertilization, where there is no egg formed as yet. Sometimes, it can happen too, An ! The pregnnacy hormones can go all up, even in such cases. So, hang in there.. It a'int end of the world at all.. Do not run from it. Cysts can happen anytime, till we have the ovaries. There is no set age or marital status attached to it. Get yourself treated of it .. Get rid off it and welcome your LO with no complications. :)

Baby Dust to you !