Precautions to be taken during first Trimester

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Ashima, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Ashima

Ashima New IL'ite

Hello everyone,

I would like to know what precautions should one take during the first trimister of your pregnancy as I heard that first and the third are the most important.

Do let me know your views.

2. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

First trimester...need some advice

Hello friends....

I am 13 weeks pregnant, Second trimester start after 12 weeks or 14th? Feeling of nausea, weekness and vomitting still there. Hope, I will get out of this nauseous feeling soon. Don't like to eat or drink anything. Tried so many different food products and juices, nothing helps. Due to that landed in the hospital last week because of dehydration. I am trying to drink more water, juice and popsicile defintly helping lot. Even I eat dinner at night, feel hungry at night time and if I eat saltine cookies, mixed nuts or fruit usually end up throwing up. Don't know how to deal with my night hunger. Due to that keep waking up in the middle of night feel extremly week and nauseous. Am I the only one who feels this way or is it common in the pregnancy?

Just curious, when do you feel comfortble to tell your family, relatives and friends about your pregnancy? Thank you.

3. Pia

Pia New IL'ite

Re: First trimester...need some advice

Hi,

Congratulations for your pregnancy.Your symptoms are very common for pregnancy.Maybe,you can try to make it out which kinds of food makes you sick?Carry on eating alot of fruits and vegetables.Some women don't have this problem after 3 months and some have for the whole pregnancy.

I told my parents about my pregnancy immediately but friends after 3 months.But everybody have their own choice.

Pia

4. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Amicable!!

Congratulations for your pregnancy :2thumbsup:!!

I am 6 weeks pregnant, at least you are about to complete your first trimester, for me it just has started shakehead. Actually I am also experiencing exactly the same feelings like you have mentioned. Nausea for the whole day :eek, cant eat or drink anything.......just dont feel like eating anything. But yeah I dont throw up just feel nauseous whole day, night. I also experience night time hunger but even then I dont feel like eating. My MIL says nuts are not good tsk in the first trimester as they are warm in nature so I am having only soaked almonds in the morning as far as nuts are concerned. Everybody is suggesting me to eat even after throwing up. Because not eating any good food can really affect baby and its health. So I try hard to eat . These days my husband tells me that I am eating like a kid meaning I play more with food and eat it lessBig Laugh. Eat my food very slowly because with every bite I feel like throwing up.....but even then I try to eat it.

But some days back when I was having bhindi ki sabzi in dinner I put some lemon juice in it to improve the taste(I feel nausea with the smell and taste of anything that is cooked in oil) then I noticed :idea strange thing that after taking bhindi ki sabzi with lemon juice in it, till the time I was awake I just didnt feel any nausea. After that next day when I was feeling extremely nauseous and weak I tried it again, a slice of lemon with salt. It again relieved me. So now whenever I feel really nauseous I take a slice of lemon and lick it with some salt. It not only improves taste of my mouth and tongue but it also relieves nausea :clap.

I can tell you that this nausea is a common symptom of pregnancy not just you or me is suffering from it. It is quite common. So be happy because you are not the only one. Other ILs have suggested me to keep myself busy in watching some good movie or listening to good songs or indulge yourself in activities you like most.

Take Care
    V n Baby

1 person likes this.
  5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Dear Amicable,
    Do hang in there - the morning sickness should go away in a week or two. There are a few women for whem nausea lasts throughout pregnancy but lets hope that you are not one of them. I used to get very hungry around 4 am and DH would cut up some apples etc for me. Maybe biscuits if you cant tolerate fruits? Also are you on medication for the vomiting? No harm in taking it if that is the only way you can keep something down.
    DH and I told our parents/brother/sister on the day the HPT was positive. Everyone else was told after 12 weeks were over. DH would have been willing to tell people earlier but I didnt want to until the maximum miscarriage period was safely over and so we waited.

Vanathi.

6. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Only today got to read your post.

Hope your feeling better now.

Your not alone in feeling hungry at night. I was also feeling very hungry in the middle of the night during my first trimester. You won't believe it, but EVERYDAY I used to wake up atleast once in the middle of the night and go to the pantry looking for something to munch. Second trimester was the best when I ate well without any feelings of nausea or throwing up and I was also able to sleep through the night. I am on my third trimester now and my night time hunger has started again. I wake up atleast five times during the night each day either bcos I am too thirsty and need water, or I have to use the rest room for the nth time or I am too hungry and want to eat something or I am just not comfortable and don't get any sleep. I end up feeling very tired during the day time bcos of this. bonk.

I have seriously started thinking that god is giving us practice sessions for night time stay-ups after the baby is born.

I hope you have reached 2nd trimester now and your nausea has reduced greatly. That's the best period in the entire pregnancy so enjoy it.

Take care and rest well.

7. kiran21181

kiran21181 New IL'ite

How to take care of ourself in first trisemister????

Hi all,

How one can take care of ourself while one got confirmation about her pregency?I mean what she should eat & what she should avoid during this period .As I dont have experience ,your suggestions would be helpful for me .

thanks,
    kiran

8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: How to take care of ourself in first trisemister????

Hi Kiran,
    First of all,my hearty congratulations on your pregnancy confirmation.
    Coming to your query, And now you are a bit scared about how to cope with your pregnancy. But do not worry dear friend, be confident and positive about everything and take care of yourself especially during the first trimester as it is one of the most important and critical time of your pregnancy. You start to experience lots of profound changes during this period and you have to take special care of yourself as the most rapid rate of growth and development takes place during this time of pregnancy.
    By the end of the first trimester the fetus is only about four inches long and weighs less than 1 ounce but as a matter of fact all of its functions start to form by now. The major organs and nervous systems, heartbeat, arms fingers, legs, toes and hair all start to take their form. Thus the first trimester is very crucial and you need to eat extra nutrients for your growing fetus. So avoid all junk food and go for diet high in protein, fiber-rich carbohydrates, iron and calcium.
    There are number of activities that you should specially avoid during the first trimester of pregnancy.
    To start with stop drinking alcohol as it can cause detrimental affects on an unborn child. Smoking leads to miscarriage and premature birth so stop smoking at all cost for good health of your child and do not even indulge in passive smoking as it causes the same dangers so smoking and passive smoking have to be avoided completely during pregnancy.
    You should avoid activities that put you at a risk for falling or increase the chance of trauma to your abdomen.Once you know you are pregnant amusement park rides are a complete no no, since a forceful landing or sudden start or stop could harm your baby. You should stop cycling as it is of no good at all during pregnancy.
    Take care at home or at work do not lift heavy objects especially in the first trimester and through out the pregnancy. Stop using electric blankets as they give off low-level electromagnetic fields which may be harmful to a developing baby.
    Sports like soccer, basketball, hockey, skiing, gymnastics and riding are a complete no no as well as there is a great danger of falling which may lead to trauma to your abdomen, so just stop being sportive while you are pregnant and go for walks and do exercises specially recommended by your Doctor. Vigorous jogging that's puts pressure on your back and joints should also be avoided.
    Raising you temperature during earl pregnancy can increases the chances of birth defects so you should avoid Saunas, Jacuzzis and Steam baths as far as possible.Avoid eating foods that generate heat in the body. Papaya and Pineapple are very harmful for the growing fetus and should be avoided at all costs during pregnancy.
    The most important thing to keep in mind is to avoid activities which have chances to put you at a risk of falling.In the first trimester go for trips which are full of relaxation rather than which involve lots of sightseeing through out the day.
    The bottom line is to avoid hectic schedules and try to indulge in leisure activities. Stay stress free and happy and take small naps during the day whenever possible.
    Most of all avoid exerting yourself too much and rest whenever you can. Take care of your health in particular to have a healthy baby.
    All the best and have a safe and sound pregnancy!

2 people like this.
  9. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Kiran

The most important is prenatal vitamins which includes folic acid supplements which is very important for the growing foetus. So please get a doctor presribe the same. Otherwise just be normal, eat a balanced diet if you are lucky enough not to have nausea and vomitting. The trimester is the time when the foetus implants , so avoid any extreme activities as suggested by priya mommy.

Keep yourself happy and tension free and relaxed , you should sail through easily.

Cheers
    Deepa

10. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Kiran,

Hearty congratulations on your pregnancy.

I had turned into a Popeye during my first trimester just binging on spinach and fengrueek. Both are high in haemoglobin. You can also include salads like beetroot and cucumber. The foetus does not need more nourishment during the first trimester but you need to have proper blood count and folic acid which is very important for the foetal development. It is a slow phase though you may notice much of the internal movements in the later trimesters but you need to take alot of care with regards to having your meals on time.

I have small meals every two or three hours. This would avoid acidity. You can keep some biscuits and fruits to have. Apples, chikoos and bananas are a good source of haemoglobin. And not to forget the milk which adds calcium. Fish can be eaten without any hesitation. You need to avoid fish like crabs, lobsters, prawns, mackrels and fish which are high in mercury content. Hope you are not a vegetarian :)

Once you are through with your first trimester, its like you are through with your pregnancy. The more care you take during the initial phase the more benefitial it will be throughout. Do not take any antibiotics whatsoever without the knowledge of the gynaec.

Eat well, sleep well, pray, dont exert yourself much. You can purchase the book "What to expect when you are expecting", its a nice book to be referred during your pregnancy. I am attaching a food chart which will help you through your pregnancy.

All the best.

Regards,
    Lynette

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    3 people like this.