Eating slate pencils

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Himabindughn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Himabindughn

Himabindughn New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am a new member of this community and this is my first post. Hope u all welcome me happily. I am in my 7th month of pregnancy and I am going crazy for slate pencils. Daily I am eating around 5 to 6 slate pencils and I dont know why i am unable to get rid of that. Will it harm the baby inside me? I am very confused but unable to stop eating that. Please help me in this regard.

:thankyou2:

1 person likes this.

2. swetha06

swetha06 New IL'ite

Hi,
    even im having the same doubt, not only the pregnant ladies are interested in eating slate pencils but many of my friends do so.So,please say whether this is dangerous?If yes suggest some measures to stop eating the slate pencils or else suggest the similar thing to eat.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2010
  3. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

Hello ladies,

An appetite for eating chalk falls under the banner called “Pica”.

Pica is usually noticed in pregnant women, in people whose diets are deficient in minerals, people with psychiatric disturbances, or people whose ethnic customs include eating certain non-food substances. Pica can be harmless unless substances are toxic or contaminated.

Pica has been very common among pregnant women, which normally disappears after childbirth. Doctors have often said that Pica is a response to nutritional deficiency, especially that of iron or calcium..

Please get urself checked by a good doctor.
    Most chalk nowadays have additional chemical added in them for color,hardness etc.
    Consuming such chemicals with chalk may not be good for health in the long run.
    Good luck!

4. samruddhirajan

samruddhirajan New IL'ite

in India also people facing this pica habit ...they eat slate pencil...which may leads to kidney stone and constipation if not drinking enough fluid...
    It is difficult to stop this habit I can suggest that rather than swallowing this stone just chew it and spit it it off...which some what less dangerous...

Regards
    samruddhi

5. drajani

drajani New IL'ite

hi ,
    I am a new member of this community and this is my first post.did u stopped eating slate pencils now.i am waiting for u r reply..........

6. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Oh girls , even I had this habit once upon a time and not now.I was tempted like anything for slate pencils and was worried much about my habit.What i did was , I just broke them in to 1 inch pieces and allot it as one piece per day.Since I too was scared about my health as well as my baby's health, i tried to control as far as i can.

Now seeing you people, I think i am not the only one.There are so many people like me.Lol.