Any side effects after Epidural....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MOM 2 BE, Apr 17, 2009.

1. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

epidural, back pain

Hi:

I delivered 8 and 1/2 months back. Had to take an epidural at the time of delivery. Delivered vaginally.
    I had back pain after delivery, had thought it would go away in first 6 months, but i do still have horrible back pain.
    The interesting part is, i get unbearable pain early morning after 5 hours of sleep. It hurts so bad that i cant get up from bed, cant bend, find it diffcult to even sit on toilet seat. I feel like my stomach and back muscles are all tightened. Then i sleep on the sofa in a reclining position for an hour and after that my pain reduces a little.
    I dont have pains during the day, its only early morning. I know its strange..
    I was wondering if its because i had taken epidural or because i am still carrying a pregnant belly ( i look 7 months pregnant yet )..

did anyone face such a thing ? What should i do now to reduce my pain ? Should i see my gyni ?

Thanks
    MAYA.

2. Asha123

Asha123 New IL'ite

Re: epidural, back pain

Hi Maya,

My son is 3 yrs now and I still have back pain, even I took epidural at the time of my delivery, the best way to get rid of back pain in ur case is, try doing Stretching Exersices, specially the Ball exersice, u get a big ball in the store that is used to do Work outs, layback on the ball and try to reach ur toes, or any kind of exersice that will help your back to strech, this helped me a lot, and when ever i feel the pain, i just stretch my back and it gives lot of relief to me.

Good luck with it.

3. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Maya,

If the pain is unbearable then please consult doctor, My friend also had such pain, she taught it was due to pregnancy but her bone moved some mm. You are best judge of your pain, so if you feel it is unbearable then immediately consult doctor.

4. suvidhya

suvidhya Senior IL'ite

HEY maya...
    i too suffered exactly like u..
    my son is a year old now.. and till 9-10 months i had really bad pain. It was then, i started regular walking... amazing...i could see the pain gradually decreasing. Back strech exercises are really great.. but if you can't do them... jus try walking.. now that u r nearing 9 months.. u cn as well start fast walking.. I am sure u will see a great difference. dont worry dear.

5. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

Maya,
    I am on the 26th week of my pregnancy right now and I am wondering if your pain is due to epidural. becoz i had exactly the same feeling for 2-3 weeks on the 5th month. i was used to get up early due to this pain. then i started walking regularly and that helped me to recover from it completely. as others suggested try walking..

6. priyas

priyas New IL'ite

Hi Mom 2Be

I had the same problem for taking epidural during my first pregnancy.I had severe pain in my back and it lasted for more than one year.Then it started to ease down little by little.So dont worry and it all depends on your health conditions.And I took epidural for my second pregnancy and the pain went away very soon.SO dont worry.You will be fine soon.

-priyas

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would suggest having an appointment with a chiropractor or an osteapath to see if you have some bone misalignment. If that is the problem then they can fix it immediately. Worth a try.

8. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hii
    I had an epidural for normal delivery; but bcoz of some complication I had emergency c-sec. By gods grace I don't have much back pain. I do 1 hour walk daily, but i don't get pain then. But I get slight backpain if I carry chinnu for a long time or if I stand in kitchen too long(if cooking for guest which require more time).
    So I think it is unlikely that you are getting pain from epidural. I would suggest you to go to a doc. In b/w try to take lot of rest and also raise your legs when you sit .Don't allow your legs to dangle down.
    - Nitha

9. hasini08

hasini08 Bronze IL'ite

Epidural

Hi all,

Is it safe to take Epidural during labor? Can someone throw some light? Does it have any risk to the baby or mother? Is it advisable?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Re: Epidural

Sometimes it gives longterm low backache.