Any side effects after Epidural....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MOM 2 BE, Apr 17, 2009.

1. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Re: Epidural facts

is epidural given in india too
    sorry for dumb question
    but all i get to hear is normal or c section and no one talks about painless labour

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Yes, Lavi. I heard so from a friend in India.
    It is not a dumb Q. :)

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deep!!!!
    First of all Congradulations.....

During my last trimester, i too was given the option of Epidural/Painless delivery.Same procedure as you say.

But i heard tat you do get back pain becoz of that after some time.So i dint go for it.
    Before 30 min of my delivery,the normal delivery turned to C-section becoz of Fetal Distress.As usual, i was given Spinal Cord injection.But now after 5-6 months, after i started going for my work, i def have back pain almost every 3-4 days a week and it is really irritating and u get tired soon.

My advice is if it is normal delivery, plz dont take up this epidural.I feel its better to take the normal way.It is definetely a painful one but when you see your baby, u forget everythin....

Feels like Heaven has come to your hands...

4. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

Yes lavii

epidural is given in India.

Thanx Swaran!

Its sad that after bearing so much of pain u had to go for a CSection.
    Which hospital in Bangalore you went for your delivery?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Lavii,

Epidural is now common in India(ofcourse in reputed hospitals)..I live in chennai..Nearly 3-4 in my circle went through epidural successfully :thumbsupStill normal delivery is the best choice.

6. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

any idea will this painless labour is included in insurance
    or every insurance has its own terms?

7. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

lavii,

This procedure is not covered in the insurance. and it cost about 20K in some good hospitals.

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Deep,my delivery was in chennai-Kamakshi Hospital,velachery

9. Dhanu15

Dhanu15 New IL'ite

Re: epidural, back pain

Hi Maya,

I had a normal vaginal delivery without epidural and mom for 9 month angel. I too get bad back pain. At times i donot get gud sleep due to back pain and i need to change positions. But i wont see the pain once i wake up and start my morning work. Seem to get them during the nights. I checked with my gyneac who says that is due to weakness and changes that our body would have undergone after the delivery. She suggested to do some excercise and change sleeping positions or to support pillow below my thighs. i am too lazy for excercise, so i tried keeping pillow below my thighs...i think this has given a bit of relief. Please do try and see if this works for you.

Thanks..dhanu

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  10. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Re: epidural, back pain

Nice discussion on Epidural. I understand that Epidural is a common practice in many foreign countries. Epidural has started gaining name in India only for a short while now. The anesthetist plays a major role when it comes to side effects post delivery with Epidural. Do we have good experienced anesthetist in most hospitals in India or in Chennai [the city where I reside]?
    As deepa had posted earlier, what is the major advantage of Epidural over C-Section with general anesthesia? C-Section with general anesthesia is devoid of any injections and thereafter the bruises in your spinal area relieving you of your backpain and headache, be it short or long term. Wouldn’t C-section be a better option in the long run. Ofcourse, nothing like bearing the pain and delivering the LO in the normal way!! I am just looking out for plan B if am not able to do a normal delivery. And I am confused between Epidural and C-section. My first delivery was a C-Sec as my LO was breech. Waited for nearly 36 hours with induced labor pain but alas my LO was not ready to turn her head down resulting in a C-sec with general anesthesia.
    I did not face any side effects after delivery. I was on bed rest for 2 days after which the doc suggested me to walk slowly and thereafter regularly atleast for a while. The anesthetist in my hospital doesn’t seem to be knowledgeable and looks fresh with not much experience. When I informed the same to gynec , she said the chief doc is well experienced and he will do the Epidural process much effectively. But when we are in pain, we cannot check the one who is giving epidural is the chief doc or not.
    So I thought I will opt for C-sec with general anesthesia rather than epidural.
    Looking forward for your suggestions!! Am confused confused..hope you folks will throw some light.
    Thanks in advance!!