traditional way of looking after new mom

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by jyothijyothi, Nov 7, 2009.

1. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

heloo,

i recently deliverd baby and i had c-section. My baby was pre mature and he had little jaundice after birth.

I wanted to open up this new thread for traditional way of looking after new mom. Many grand parents look after by giving some their family food, tying stomach, bath, massage for mom and baby so many things they do. so i wanted to discuss all so that it helps others and they can also take care of them become more healthy.

pls discuss and give your ideas and tips.

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Jyothi,

My DD too had jaundice in the first few weeks. We were asked to expose the baby in the morning sunlight - 7.30 am to 8.30 am and then 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm. I did it only once a day, but my DD's jaundice was not all that high.

I had mostly leafy vegetables preferably methi, fish curry rice, we had a massage lady and she prepared some methi ladoos which helps postpartum backache and for good health. Massage with hot baths helps if taken for atleast a month. Take lots of rest atleast for a month. Do not carry any heavy buckets and do not bend too much. Take the iron and calcium supplements regularly.

Mostly everything follows from the family tradition. Its best to follow what is already in your family as it will help you and you already know it. Just go with the flow.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Jyothi,

You need to take Balanth kada - 3 bottles. This will clean your stomach and get the uterus back to normal. I had taken 3 bottles in warm water. Each bottle is a course of 10 days.

4. jyothijyothi

jyothijyothi New IL'ite

what's balantha kada, can u explain little bit, if u know the recipe pls post it

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi all, my SIL is delivering baby in the second week of August. We are hoping for a normal delivery but we are prepared for a C-section too because she is 35. Even though my MIL would be here, i suspect she wouldnt be able to take care of the baby (she is kind of older and have knee problems). So, I am shifting to my SIL's place for 2 weeks to help her out.

Can mom's here advice me how exactly I can be of help? I am planning on taking over cooking and be with the baby full time but not 100% sure how I should go about this. Please can someone suggest how to help a new mother?

thanks mom's.

Edit: I forgot to ask, how many days the baby would need 24 hour attention? Like...someone sitting with the baby ALL the time, even while its sleeping.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  6. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

rakhi - the baby doesn't need 24 hour attention.. the baby will automatically wake up every 2-3 hours for milk.. so dont worry so much.. rest when the baby is resting.. best tip for new moms.. let your SIL know that..

I am sure you cannot take care of baby 100% - as it is the mothers job.. she needs to feed the baby you cannot do this if she is breastfeeding (unless she pumps and you feed from bottle) -- you can help with cooking & cleaning & laundry help with other children (if any)

ask the SIL to rest.. and follow the doctors care instructions.. she should eat healthy food, methi is good for milk production.. and avoid gassy food as the gas will pass onto the baby in the milk and the baby will cry alot from gas..

7. Divyashre

Divyashre New IL'ite

Hi Rakhi,

You may be helpful to your SIL nad the baby in the following:

1)Cooking
    2)Looking after baby for wiping him/her through wash cloth and changing his/her clothes.
    3)Burping Baby after every feed
    4)Changing diagers
    5)Few babies may be night owls, so need to carry the baby and feed him (if formula is used) and then put an eye on him till he/she goes to sleep in the night times as moms will be very tired to keep waking up every now and then during night time.

Hope this helps

-Divya Shree