I am starting this thread from the info i have from friends and relatives and which i have experienced myself. Give it a try !! and add whatever you know as well. It will be of help to me also.
1. Garlic- This is one of the best foodstuff that aids milk supply. All grandmas will tell this. Include garlic in your diet daily, else have garlic as it is. In the first 25 days after delivery i used to have 10-12 cloves of garlic every morning just sauteed in oil and with pepper-jeera powder and salt added. As per South indian norm, garlic cloves are boiled in milk and that is given to new mothers. This will also help to keep gas away in your and your baby's body. It however generates heat so compensate by drinking more milk.
2. Milk - Include atleast 3-4 glasses of milk daily in your diet
3. Fenugreek (Methi) - Both methi leaves as well as methi seeds can be consumed. Methi leaves can be made into a subji. In case of seeds, soak them in water or yoghurt overnight and have it in the morning on empty stomach.
4. Dill leaves- This is called shepu in marathi. It is said to induce milk supply. I had never tasted dill leaves untill after delivery. Shepu is not a very common veggie in South Indian diet. However i really liked the unique flavour of it like pudina. It is also very high in fibre and hence good if u got haemorroids after delivery (like I did!- I am still suffering).
5. Drumstick - Use drumstick in sambar or dal or porikootus. It has high iron content as well good for inc milk supply.
6. Poppy seeds (Khus-Khus) - U can use it in any sweet items or make a halwa or lekiyam by itself. Dry fry khus khus and powder it. Make a paste by adding milk. Take to fire, fry on low heat, add equal quantity sugar and cook by adding a spoon of ghee in between (totally 4-5 spoons). Remove when it reaches halwa consistency. have one spoon daily.
7. Oats - Oats has various health benefits and good for lactation as well. It has high fibre content. Have oats porridge for breakfast with honey.
8. Dink (Gondh) Laddoo- I was given dink ladoos with edible gondh, methi and jaggery etc. It is supposed to be good post delivery.
9. Dudhi/ Lauki/soraikkai (Bottlegourd) - Make subji or kootu and have it once in two days.
10.Water- Last but not least drink lots of water. I also used to have jeera water quite often (Boil 2 cups of water. Remove from fire, add 2 sp of jeera and keep covered untill the colour of water turns deep). It reduces body heat, removes gas and also add water content.
The best way to increase milk supply is to make sure you are well-fed, well-rested and well-hydrated. Generally after delivery, have foods that are easy to digest, have lot of fibre. Avoid foods that generate gas like tur dal, raw banana, potato etc and foods that generate heat like mango, papaya and so on. Have lot of moong dal. Have lot of leafy vegetables, fruts and pulses. Slowly as the baby's digestive system develops, you can start introducing each item to your diet so that the baby will adjsut to it.
Pls give in your comments and feedback and also add other foodstuff or tips that you might know.