Foods that increase milk supply in lactating mothers

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by annu1881, Aug 19, 2009.

1. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

hi Friends,
    I am starting this thread from the info i have from friends and relatives and which i have experienced myself. Give it a try !! and add whatever you know as well. It will be of help to me also.

1. Garlic- This is one of the best foodstuff that aids milk supply. All grandmas will tell this. Include garlic in your diet daily, else have garlic as it is. In the first 25 days after delivery i used to have 10-12 cloves of garlic every morning just sauteed in oil and with pepper-jeera powder and salt added. As per South indian norm, garlic cloves are boiled in milk and that is given to new mothers. This will also help to keep gas away in your and your baby's body. It however generates heat so compensate by drinking more milk.

2. Milk - Include atleast 3-4 glasses of milk daily in your diet

3. Fenugreek (Methi) - Both methi leaves as well as methi seeds can be consumed. Methi leaves can be made into a subji. In case of seeds, soak them in water or yoghurt overnight and have it in the morning on empty stomach.

4. Dill leaves- This is called shepu in marathi. It is said to induce milk supply. I had never tasted dill leaves untill after delivery. Shepu is not a very common veggie in South Indian diet. However i really liked the unique flavour of it like pudina. It is also very high in fibre and hence good if u got haemorroids after delivery (like I did!- I am still suffering).

5. Drumstick - Use drumstick in sambar or dal or porikootus. It has high iron content as well good for inc milk supply.

6. Poppy seeds (Khus-Khus) - U can use it in any sweet items or make a halwa or lekiyam by itself. Dry fry khus khus and powder it. Make a paste by adding milk. Take to fire, fry on low heat, add equal quantity sugar and cook by adding a spoon of ghee in between (totally 4-5 spoons). Remove when it reaches halwa consistency. have one spoon daily.

7. Oats - Oats has various health benefits and good for lactation as well. It has high fibre content. Have oats porridge for breakfast with honey.

8. Dink (Gondh) Laddoo- I was given dink ladoos with edible gondh, methi and jaggery etc. It is supposed to be good post delivery.

9. Dudhi/ Lauki/soraikkai (Bottlegourd) - Make subji or kootu and have it once in two days.

10.Water- Last but not least drink lots of water. I also used to have jeera water quite often (Boil 2 cups of water. Remove from fire, add 2 sp of jeera and keep covered untill the colour of water turns deep). It reduces body heat, removes gas and also add water content.

The best way to increase milk supply is to make sure you are well-fed, well-rested and well-hydrated. Generally after delivery, have foods that are easy to digest, have lot of fibre. Avoid foods that generate gas like tur dal, raw banana, potato etc and foods that generate heat like mango, papaya and so on. Have lot of moong dal. Have lot of leafy vegetables, fruts and pulses. Slowly as the baby's digestive system develops, you can start introducing each item to your diet so that the baby will adjsut to it.

Pls give in your comments and feedback and also add other foodstuff or tips that you might know.

Cheers!
    Annu:thumbsup

2. radha81

radha81 New IL'ite

Hi Annu,

You have done a really great job putting all these things together. :thumbsup

I have added below some of the things that have worked for me.
    My DD is 10 months old and I have been breast feeding her.I started her on solids when she was 5 months old but my pediatrician still always insists that breast milk is her primary source of nutrients. That is why I am always concerned that my body should keep producing enough milk for her.

My menstrual cycle started when she was about 6 months and there was a decrease in my breast milk production. She was crying due to hunger and it was a difficult time for both of us. This is what my mother asked me to do and it helped. I ate some garlic boiled/cooked in milk.Drank the milk as well.also drank a full cup of milk. I gave the baby to my mother to take care and I slept for an hour. When I woke up my breast was full. Garlic and milk is a sure solution. Relaxing and getting some sleep generates milk in the body.

These are the other things that I do regularly to ensure that there is enough milk for my baby.
    1. Eat a spoon of soaked methi(fenugreek) seeds about 3 times a day. Fenugreek is very good for milk production.
    2. Drink a glass of milk atleast twice a day.
    3. Have a porridge of sabudana(sago seeds) once a day.Sago seeds are very good for milk production.
    3. Eat regularly. Never skip a meal. When the mother eats food it is digested and there is milk for the baby in 2 hours.

I hope this information proves to be useful to other mothers like me.
    All the best to you and your baby. Enjoy the great happiness that god has given you.

3. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Radha,
    Thanks, your tips are good. I think i will also start garlic with milk. I had garlic for the first month and then stopped. Actually i got haemorroids (like piles) due to difficult delivery and I thout the heat in garlic induces that. So i stopped it. Is there any specific time for garlic milk- is it better to have before bedtime? Now my baby is in her 4th month. She is gaining weight but i fear that my milk might be reducing. So I dont know whetrher she is getting enough. So I want to start some stuff like moong dal, pureed apple etc. Is it the right time? and what food are the best foods to start at first with? I want to continue to feed her atleast upto one year. Did you feel any change with the milk supply after your periods started?
    Also, how do you made this sago porridge?

Annu.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Three months is too young a time frame for starting the weaning process - which is what starting solids is. Early introduction of solids brings in a risk of food allergies. Wait till your child is 6 months old.
    Yes, most mothers will find a change in milk supply when the periods start. Also, consider this that your baby is becoming an expert at removing milk from the breast. So, as long as she is gaining weight and had enouigh wet and poopy diapers, she is doing well.
    My child recently weaned at 2 years 5 months and did very well as long as he was breastfed. We could not introduce cow's milk because of allergies. What helped me keep breastfeeding is adding some oatmeal to my diet and adding a Calcium Magnesium combination supplement in the ration of 500 to 250 mg. My supply dips around the time of ovulation till the day 1 of menses. Keep yourself well hydrated. That should be more than enough.

5. radha81

radha81 New IL'ite

Hi Annu,

You are right. Garlic increases body heat. Be cautious if you think it may be increasing your haemorroids.
    I eat garlic on alternate days and just once a day. The best time is 2 hours before feeding the baby, when you know that your baby will be hungry and will feed properly. Like you I had the same fears that my milk may not be sufficient. If your baby is gaining weight, plays actively, looks satisfied and happy then you have nothing to worry.
    You may started solids anytime after the baby is 4 months old. I personally felt that 4 months was too early. I started solids for my baby when she had completed 5 months. I started with rice cereal for 2 weeks as it is easily digestible. Then introduced carrots, beans, peas, apples,pears,banana. Each new food should be introduced in a gap of 3 days to ensure that it suits the baby.
    For sago porridge, cook the sago seeds with lots of water on the stove. it takes time to cook properly. Around 20 minutes. You can then have it by adding a little milk+sugar or some curd+salt, whatever suits your taste.

Good luck to you. Take care.
    -Radha

6. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks dear Radha and Tikka for your valauble inputs !!:hatsoff

7. amsuganya

amsuganya New IL'ite

i am having 1month bABY....... pls say fast items in just 2 days to increase milk

8. blue

blue Senior IL'ite

hii

eating bread or rusks with milk is very helpful..i also read some where not sure mothers horlicks also helps

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. aditibose78

aditibose78 Silver IL'ite

This is truly a very helpful and informative read. Thank you!

For the benefit of all who are visiting this thread, here are two other links where some interesting answers have been shared.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/l...52859-home-made-remedy-increasing-breast.html

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/l...re/22104-how-increase-breast-milk-supply.html

Also here are two feature articles that is sure to be useful -

1. this one is for the breast feeding days - http://www.indusladies.com/forums/l...re/22104-how-increase-breast-milk-supply.html

2. this one is when you want to stop breast feeding a few months later - IndusLadies - 10 Tips for Making the Transition From Breast To Bottle or Cup

10. Nivimum

Nivimum Junior IL'ite

I found oats and Mothers milk tea very useful in increasing milk supply:)