Foods that increase milk supply in lactating mothers

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by annu1881, Aug 19, 2009.

1. akaveri

akaveri New IL'ite

very useful information
    thank you

2. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

very useful information

3. bunnyrosecute

bunnyrosecute Silver IL'ite

4. tejasmom

tejasmom New IL'ite

Hi Radha,

I am a proud mother of 6 and half yr old boy.
    In my first pregnancy, I had a C-section...I was very much lacking breast milk for my DS. As Just after the delivery I was totally unable to produce milk for say, 2-3 days. I use to sit literally for hours putting my baby to my breast and he was trying hard to suck my nipples but nothing/very less milk was coming out. It was horrible....After more than an hour just sitting like that still he was unable to feed himself and we need to give him some formula milk with the bottle(as doc suggested,for just a day or two, as he was bitterly crying). That time I was in Mumbai. After 3-4 days, I started producing milk little more(my doc gave me some medicine to help producing milk)...but never been able to fill his tummy full with milk. He was not crying for more and played well(as now also he is not much a foody) As according to doctors, he was growing well and weight was also increased well. but as a mother, I was not at all satisfied, as he was a thinner baby(I was dying for a chubby baby). That time mother-in-law was also with me but may be she was also wondering why milk is not coming in a natural way. She was also unaware of the home remedies, I think. she use to give me ajwain mixed boiled water. nothing else..

As now I am 4 mnth pregnant second time. I dont want to feel that horrible situation again. I want to do whatever I can do after delivery and now also, when I am pregnant. So I want to know, if there is any food or something u can suggest me to do during the pregnancy additionally.
    I have read somewhere that shatavari churan boiled with milk helps in lactation, when taken during and after pregnancy. but as i google on this herb and found there may be some side effects. do you have any information regarding what can i do before delivery to help lactation more.

Hope to hear from you soon.. I really need help.

Regards,
    Priya

5. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on impending arrival of another child. What you told about your first child seems quite normal to me. But you were the mother. Since you felt that food was inadequate to your child, then it indeed was.

Couple of things to increase the supply

1. Use pump couple of times a day. Please don't replace baby feed with pumping session. Some where in the middle of two feeding sessions, add one pumping session.

2. Wisdom passed along to me is to goat/lamp meat. But then, I like to eat meat.

3. Well balanced nutritious food. I happened to meet a new mother who had her parents come over to help her. I looked at the food the new mom was eating. It was undesirable. There are some traditions/superstitions I suppose.

4. Baby with good latch is supposed to be master of stimulating and increasing the supply.

Enjoy your rest of the pregnancy. If you milk is not sufficient, please don't feel guilty if you have to supplement with other food sources.

1 person likes this.
  6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi tejasmom,

i had a c-section too and had lots of problems with lactation. Then I did this which really increased the milk production. Take one teA spoon of methi seeds and soak in 2 table spoons of yoghurt overnight. The seeds would have soaked up the yoghurt and become bigger and softer. I'd add more yoghurt to it if it were too dry. Then I'd eat a spoon every few hours through out the day. Within about 2 or 3 days the amount of milk was lots more.
    Also make sure you pack away your wired bras and only use nonwired ones through the pregnancy too. And massage your breasts while taking a warm shower to stimulate the glands. You can find massage techniques online to aid lactation.

There is is a website called kellymom which I found extremely useful for lactating related queries. All the best

7. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hello!

I would be delivering in next month, I have a question. Other than the food items mentioned above, can we continue with our normal diet also. That is we are Non Vegetarians, So can I eat Eggs, Fish, Chicken etc even after delivery.

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can eat all those too. Just ensure you could eat those fresh, not old.